The CES discussion thread!

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Hardware
The 2011 Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas will start soon, and I'm making this thread to talk about all the cool shit.

This year is shaping up to be pretty damn sweet! Dual core smartphones, Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs, AMD Fusion APUs, new tablets and more! Dudes, let's talk about this.

What do you want to see most out of CES this year?

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Dual core phones on T-mo! ...that aren't LG.

I need an upgrade so bad. Waiting is the hardest part.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I want to see AMD say "Surprise! Llano will be ready tomorrow."
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I am most looking forward to dual core Android phones. The HTC Thunderbolt's rumors have certainly caught my attention: dual core 1.2GHz Tegra 2, 4.3" screen, Android 2.3, HTC Sense UI, aluminum unibody, etc. Other rumors say LTE/UMTS radios, which might make it world phone, which gives me a sliver of hope that I can buy it unlocked for use in Canadia! One can dream.

Even if that doesn't come true, 10:1 says they'll make a UMTS version for people like me.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Dual core phones, definitely. Hopefully HTC has some heading Sprint's way.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I'm all right with the phones I have, though I imagine I'll be tempted if I see something available for release over here. I'm really interested in tablets, for some reason. I got the Galaxy Tab stuck in my head for the last couple weeks and want to see what else comes out.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I am curious about the Motorola Android 3.0 Tablet. I am also lookin for more slate-like Windows 7 (PRO) with some of these fancy dual core, HD toating, Hi-Res systems.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for setting this thread up Thrax. We'll try and get coverage of the things people are interested in. So far appointments have been set up for AMD, NZXT, MSI, OCZ, Razer, Nyko, Thermaltake, Xi3, and Turtle Beach. We'll be at the press conferences for Microsoft, Verizon, Ford, and LG as well.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    ASUS announced a new Tegra 2 netbook/tablet hybrid, the EeePad Transformer. Fullsize keyboard 10" screen and the screen pops off to become a tablet. If it's robust enough, this would be the PERFECT devise for the webapp my company is building. I'm very excited about it.

The other stuff I want to see are the AMD APU products. Lenovo's lightbook implementation sounds hot.

Phones don't do much for me, but I'm getting to like Android stuff thanks to my Nook Color. I hear B&N will have a presence there this year and should be opening up the Nook app store and other features.

I arrive Friday afternoon. Can't wait.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    ASUS has one of those, too? Lenovo showed off the LePad (same concept) last year. Apparently they're showing it off again, with more pure tablets as well.
    edited January 2011
    JEDEC is already working on DDR4-2133: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=257492
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I wonder if there will be nearly as much hyperbole pertaining to 3D tech and how its going to change everything?

I know there is going to be a million tablets, I wonder if HP is going to finally do something worthwhile with WebOS in tablet form?

Also, I'm still greatly interested in anything that offers something new/interesting in the realm of internet TV and video on demand services.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I want a 4"x4" motherboard with built in 3.0GHz+ quad or more CPU, video capable of 1920x1080 60+ fps, and 12GB of RAM. I want them to consume <200 watts. I want SSD's to be 1.8" or smaller and have a sustained throughput of over 1 GB/s and have prices comparable to their mechanical counterparts.

Yea, some day right.

They need to add projectors to cell phones, and cell phone companies need to allow streaming HD over their "super hyped-up 4G networks" Also, cell phone batteries need to last a week.

I WANT NO BEZEL LED MONITORS!!!

am I asking too much?

I'm really interested in seeing what technologies car companies are going to bring to vehicles. integrated foursquare enabled GPS thats allows us all to get to EPIC food tours events in Detroit would be sweet. I'd also like a HUD that shows everything going on with my engine, from fuel ratios to the ability to use 4, 6, or 8 cylinders when I want.

Real-time traffic in vehicles would be pretty epic also
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I wonder if there will be nearly as much hyperbole pertaining to 3D tech and how its going to change everything?
    No, but Mitsubishi had a 73" 3DTV set up at CES Unveiled. The tech is much improved over last year, but still has a long way to go. The shutter glasses still flicker periodically, and there's still a bit of a halo, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was before. Also their glasses fit comfortably over my own.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    i hate 3d. i just don't like it.
    edited January 2011
    Relevant to my interests: a laptop dock for my phone, effectively making it a smartbook. AT&T is releasing one for its new dual-core Atrix phone, and hopefully T-Mo (my preferred provider) is thinking about releasing a similar one.

I know it's been tried before, but this is a good way to make use of this insane processing power we're carrying in our pockets, and shed the poundage of a full laptop.

I would get rid of my laptop entirely if I had a phone/smartbook, if only I could run a couple of programs on it that are currently Windows-only. Esri is developing Android and iOS ArcGIS programs, so maybe it isn't such a pipe dream.
    edited January 2011
    The Atrix is an insane phone, and the dock is a rad idea.

I also saw the 4.5" Samsung device. I'd never get a Samsung phone (terrible software support), but a 4.5" screen is <i>awesome</i>.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    but a 4.5" screen is <i>awesome</i>.
    We talked about this at ICNY. I would SO SO SO love a:

Dual core
    5" maybe even 6" true LCD screen
    Android or Windows based OS.
    The dock ability so I could use a larger keyboard.

My desktop would become a gaming/software dev/design station and I would work 90% of the time from my "phone" from wherever I wanted to.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    So much tech in such a small time frame. Can't wait for all the coverage.
    edited January 2011
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I would get rid of my laptop entirely if I had a phone/smartbook, if only I could run a couple of programs on it that are currently Windows-only. Esri is developing Android and iOS ArcGIS programs, so maybe it isn't such a pipe dream.

Mere hours later, news that Win8 will run on ARM. Heh.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    heh, fitting a 5 or even 6 inch "phone" in your pocket...

I have the evo4G and the 4.3" screen is just about max i want for a phone. anything bigger than say 4.5" just doesn't fit in your hand anymore or your jean pockets
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I don't think tablets are full replacements, but more a suplemental experience. Soon everyone will want all the right tools for many different digital jobs. I think the Kindles success shows that, people will own several digital tools for a variety of tasks. Tablets can not replace the true portability of a phone, nor be a practical working alternative to a laptop, it is it's own thing, and the gear heads will look to supplement, not replace their tried and true experiences.
    edited January 2011
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Relevant to my interests: a laptop dock for my phone, effectively making it a smartbook. AT&T is releasing one for its new dual-core Atrix phone, and hopefully T-Mo (my preferred provider) is thinking about releasing a similar one.

Video of the standalone dock and the laptop dock. FAPFAPFAP
    edited January 2011
    Those peripherals are so much more badass in action than I could have ever possibly imagined. Holy wow.

//EDIT: Looks like it's booting something like ASUS Express Gate. Embedded linux distro (which would have ARM support).

//EDIT 2: Citrix on the phone dock. MIND FUCKING BLOWN.

//EDIT 3: The more I watch this, the more incredible it becomes. My phone could quite literally do everything I would do on the road.
    edited January 2011
    HTC ThunderBolt is not dual core as rumored. :( The search for the perfect handset continues.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    The search for the perfect handset continues.

normal_Nokia_3210_3.jpg

Search Concluded.
    edited January 2011
    A challenger has appeared!

zack-morris-phone.jpg
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    :shakehead

I can't play snake on that.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    A challenger has appeared!

zack-morris-phone.jpg
    I had one of those you young whipper snappers!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    I had one of those, when I owned a model-t, you young whipper snappers!
    FIXED :D
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    HTC ThunderBolt is not dual core as rumored. :( The search for the perfect handset continues.

Insult to injury, we get the LG Revolution instead of the LG Optimus 2X. The Revolution is just a neutered Optimus 2X. I mean literally - it's the 2X except with less memory and a single-core Tegra2. :mad2: