Crap games

fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
edited February 2004 in Gaming
Lately, Ive been feeling like there are no good games out right now. I REALLY want to play Baulders Gate: Dark Alliance 2 and Hunter The Reckoning: Redeemer. Other than that, theres nothing. Anybody else feeling game deprived?

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    You could play the Far Cry demo over a few times. Lots of ways to get up that hill...
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I kindda feel the same. There's nothing "new" out there. Everything is mostly the same type of generic fps. I loved the days of SNES, Sega Genesis, etc.
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited January 2004
    I already beat the Far Cry Demo. Yea, it was fun. The industry needs to back away from the FPS's. I love Halo and Call Of Duty as much as the next guy, but D*mn!!!! I need an RPG. A Hack n' Slash RPG like Baulders Gate: Dark Alliance 2 is sounding really good right about now.
    *Fudgam plans the demise of Blockbuster for not having Dark Alliance 2*
    edited January 2004
    I'm going to start playing through the BG series again, and I am going to read all the books in-game too :)
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Have you tried SW:KOTOR?
    edited January 2004
    fudgam may like it depending on how it's played. Is Dark Alliance turn based? If it isn't then he may not like it, don't know though, could be wrong.

I hated the game to be honest. It was like Neverwinter Nights with less to do and was more boring.
    edited January 2004
    Baulders Gate is not turn-based combat. And I think it was awesome :p
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Enverex wrote:
    I'm going to start playing through the BG series again, and I am going to read all the books in-game too :)

lmao :D
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I kindda feel the same. There's nothing "new" out there. Everything is mostly the same type of generic fps. I loved the days of SNES, Sega Genesis, etc.

You know, there's several thousand games for SNES alone, about 100 of which are actually worth playing. Still more, there are a lot of games that are good that never made it across the Pacific. If you emulate, you can get the original japanese ROMs and the translation patches from somewhere like http://www.zophar.net .

If you haven't played Star Ocean (Enix, action RPG), Bahamut Lagoon (Square, tactical RPG), Tales of Phantasia (Namco, action RPG), Seiken Densetsu III (Square, Secret of Mana II, action RPG), Final Fantasy V (Square, turn-based RPG), you really should consider it. Those are all SNES titles btw.

-drasnor :fold:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    They just released the v2.0 patch for Savage. Now it's finally worth playing...
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited January 2004
    Lessee... crap games... anything and everything by Blizzard comes to mind, unless you're playing against real people...

Uh... Battlecruiser Millennium looks good, but the manual is like 180 pages, and you actually have to read it to play the game. I still haven't figured it out.

Viper racing sucked, as did/do all of the "test drive" series, and the 4x4 evo series...
    NFS: UG is just plain stupid, but that's just my opinion.
    I'm sure I'll think of others...
    edited January 2004
    fudgam wrote:
    Baulders Gate is not turn-based combat. And I think it was awesome :p

Actually Baldurs Gate is turn based..... (did you mean Dark Alliance).
    edited January 2004
    Yes, I meant Dark Alliance.
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited January 2004
    Well, it's not an rpg, but Beyond Good & Evil is one of the top 3 most amazing games of 2003 in my book, and dirt cheap now too, cuz it absolutely bombed at retail, despite critical praise out the wazoo (some day I'll know where that phrase came from...and what a wazoo is...).
    edited January 2004
    T-BirD wrote:
    Well, it's not an rpg, but Beyond Good & Evil is one of the top 3 most amazing games of 2003 in my book, and dirt cheap now too, cuz it absolutely bombed at retail, despite critical praise out the wazoo (some day I'll know where that phrase came from...and what a wazoo is...).

It obviously bombed because of bad marketting. I've been waiting for this to come out, and planned to buy it as soon as it did.... I never heard that it was available...
  • MoTHA_NaTuREMoTHA_NaTuRE All over this bizzatch called FL
    edited January 2004
    dark alliance 2 sucks balls, not made by the original team, if u want to play the next game release made by the original dark alliance team, wait for champions of norrath, now that game will definitely be badass. be out in a few wks i think.
    edited January 2004
    I never played the first Baulders Gate.
  • ze_merovingianze_merovingian de+roi+, via highland park, via MTL
    edited February 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    ... NFS: UG is just plain stupid, but that's just my opinion.
    I'm sure I'll think of others...

G-,
    the thing that my friends and I like about NFS: UG is the mindless self-indulgence, the cars and the rice. :clap:
    edited February 2004
    dark alliance 2 sucks balls, not made by the original team, if u want to play the next game release made by the original dark alliance team, wait for champions of norrath, now that game will definitely be badass. be out in a few wks i think.

I'm presently playing DA2, and I like it very much, thank you.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited February 2004
    I Loved Tomb Raider, Shodowman, Deus x and both the Thief games. Adventure and puzzles. There hasn't been anything any good for ages. Hurry up with Thief 3.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited February 2004
    Prince of Persia was surprisingly good. not exactly long though
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited February 2004
    I'd like a new starfighter game from LucasArts. Latest graphics and stuff, but with a story and length on the scale of Tie Fighter. Ugh...

Matter of fact they should just remake X-Wing and Tie Fighter with the latest and greatest graphics.....something that stretches from the Clone Wars to Endor...now THAT would be an epic game.
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited February 2004
    Battlefield 1942 is always a safe bet. Not exactly new but I still think it is awesome. Halo for PC is also pretty fun. I just got it not too long ago. If you want more strategy type stuff Sim City 4 and the Rush Hour expansion are a blast. Good fun all around.

Norge
  • edited February 2004
    I'm with you on those choices Norge. I still stick by BF1942 although I think it's time for a graphics update. They are starting to look a little dated to me. I am also a fan of simcity 4. I am eagerly awaiting Half Life 2, I think it should be awesome if it lives up to the hype. I'm not into the star trek kinda games or medieval fantasy stuff. I like to stay more closer to realism, especially with army based FPS. I hope they make a BF1942 second version with updated graphics. I think they have a winning formula there.

KingFish
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    BattleCruiser 3000 AD was a game I will always remember! I never played Mellinium though.

NFS:UG I have for PS2, it is very fun to play!

PlanetSide is my main choice at the time being... I have to pay to play, but it is fun none-the-less.

BF1942 is also great, but Desert Combat(which was bought by DICE recently) is an even better version of the same game.

But now, I am creating my own game to keep me happy :D At least I am beginning work now :P
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited February 2004
    What sort of game is it?
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited February 2004
    Enemy territory.. Id like to see some more added to that. New Weapons and some vehicles that you could drive would rock.

Gobbles
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited February 2004
    Here's a candidate for "Crap Game Award"

Al Qaeda Hunting 3D

Look at this review:
    http://www.gamershell.com/reviews_AlQaedaHunting3DReview.shtml

Here are a couple of tidbits.
    "Upon visiting the game's website (where the 'masterpiece' in question can be bought online), I was greeted with a disclaimer approximately saying that this game shows what is happening right now in Afghanistan and that if you have anything against it, you must be one of Al Qaeda terrorists."

"Upon exploration of this weird place I've found lights that would probably look good in Wolfenstein 3D."

"As I've started sending those poor mutated creatures I've met on my way back to where they came from - hell"

"I thought they might be ghosts of such people like John Romero that can't properly define clipping in their games (Anyone still remembers those "John Romero Will Make You His Bitch" Daikatana ads in PC Gamer?"

"instead of risking getting myself killed I've started shooting through every box and wall in order to try and kill every last one of those creatures, who were probably bad people damned by god, John Carmack or whoever, as a punishment for buying Daikatana to be placed into this game as sprites after death."

"In the end I was given the honor to kill something that looked like a hybrid of a monkey with a wild boar. But seeing that the game ended after I killed it, I feel confident that it was Osama himself. And even though he looks like hell in real life, I'm afraid that even his own mother wouldn't be able to recognize him in the game."

"After playing the game for twenty five minutes and completing it at that time, I can honestly say that it was the most traumatizing experience of my adult life - even counting that little incident with me getting my head stuck in the doors of an overcrowded bus and the driver not noticing me and driving for another 10 minutes before stopping the bus."

"I was diagnosed with a massive brain damage by my resident psychiatrist."
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited February 2004
    I doubt they will make a graphically enhanced version of BF 1942 but they are working on Battlefield Viet Nam. It has updated graphics and the BF 1942 feel from what I have read. The only difference is the setting, weapons, etc.

Yeah I gotta say Planetside is also a fun game. I started playing it again last night after taking a small break to try out Final Fantasy XI. Good to be back shooting up the Terran and Vanu.

Norge
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited February 2004
    Sonic heroes just came out if your into that kind of thing. I have it on xbox and its OK. If you havn't tried SSX3 I strongly suggest you do so. If you do not then you definately missed the best console game of last year.

Ninja Gaiden will be out in a couple of weeks. that looks dead sexy.

Also there is a nifty MOD for GTA:VC called ultimate vice city which replaces all the 80s style cars with all new and concept cars. it also has the WTC towers and extra ramps and bridges. I found much amusement with this mod. I downloaded it off bittorrent. 200MEGS definately worth the download.

Give those a try