01/13/11 Beta 1.2 Update Discussion

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Minecraft
Minecraft Beta 1.2

Minecraft Beta 1.2 is live. All servers need to be updated to 1.2.

New features:
* Note blocks (right click to tune, trigger to play)
* 15 wool dyes
* A new water dwelling mob
* New tree types
* Reeds magically turned into sugar canes. They still make paper.
* A bunch of new crafting recipes
* One secret useful block
* One secret pretty block
* Cake
* AND MOAR, probably. I forget!

Bugfixes:
* Paintings work in multiplayer
* Disconnecting while riding no longer keeps the player in the world
* A bunch more state is properly synched in multiplayer
* Fixed colors going weird on PowerPC
* Fixed a horrible chunk reload loop in singleplayer
* Fixed most lighting bugs in newly generated SMP maps
* Falling sand behaves better in SMP
* Fixed a few crash on load level bugs

New Block/ore: Lapus Lazuli
http://i.imgur.com/lfyY5.png
http://i.imgur.com/BTFyU.png
Used for blue die.

Other Dyes

Note Blocks

OMG DISPENSER!!! - ARROW CANNON!!!!

Sandstone Sand without Gravity!

Tools made out of stone are more durable.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Minecarts do not move as fast, possibly not as far on a boost. We may need to rework rail lines.

It may be no hey0 that is causing this, I think Hey0 interfered with carts a bit.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Dye is cool but Skeletons not dropping arrows anymore changes the game a lot. This completely reverses the Zombie grinder being useless while we have a skele grinder. Now the skele grinder is not really useless but less usefull by far. You HAVE to craft arrows now so Gravel is worth a lot more now as that is the only place to get flint for your arrows. Feathers are premium now though there are multiple sources. These sources are now more valuable, do you use the eggs to make cake or a chicken farm?

Anyone else think of Indian Jones when they read about the dispenser firing arrows?

-Digi
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Loving this stuff so far. Can't wait to replace my mob traps with arrow turrets.

Someone was able to hack a lava block into a dispenser, but it wouldn't burn anything.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Uh oh. Looks like I'm going to have to include some Lapis Lazuli blocks in my compass rose design.
    edited January 2011
    You can now make coal by cooking wood in a furnace. "Charcoal" then acts like normal coal.
    edited January 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    You can now make coal by cooking wood in a furnace. "Charcoal" then acts like normal coal.

That'll come in handy in a new world, when you need torches, and there isn't any coal showing on the surface.
    edited January 2011
    Gold is not as useless, you can make a super pick!

Tools are more durable
    Gold pick = 33 uses (and smashes through rock FASTER than diamond!)
    Stone pick = 132 uses
    Iron pick = ~251 uses
    Diamond pick = ~1563 uses (!)
    edited January 2011
    Oh this is interesting if true:

- Skeletons drop bones additionally to arrows now. They can be crafted into bonemeal, which is used for white dye and to speed up crop growth

Source for this and the above post: http://minethe.blogspot.com/2011/01/minecraft-beta-12.html
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    This is awesome... I just started building a ship and they include dye for the sails and I can make cannons now too?? w00t!!
    edited January 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Gold is not as useless, you can make a super pick!

Tools are more durable
    Gold pick = 33 uses (and smashes through rock FASTER than diamond!)
    Stone pick = 132 uses
    Iron pick = ~251 uses
    Diamond pick = ~1563 uses (!)

I've thought all along that instead of making a useless tool, gold should make tools which are useful in a different way. That's awesome.

Also, if those numbers are right, the new stone pick breaks more blocks than an iron pick did yesterday.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Minecarts do not move as fast, possibly not as far on a boost. We may need to rework rail lines.

It may be no hey0 that is causing this, I think Hey0 interfered with carts a bit.

Rails aren't behaving either. When I went to make a turn, a 90-degree bend was what I was expecting, but it just lays a straight track. No turn. Sent a minecart down to test, and it just runs off the track. Rails seem to be broken.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I can confirm skeles dropping the bones and arrows, so skele grinder is still worth it, and I have located an area with some lovely natural geography north of my northern home, I am planning to mine for the lazui there.
    edited January 2011
    Bones Can also make bone meal, which can be used as fertilizer.

throw a little on wheat ora sapling, and *bam*
  • MechfoxMechfox Texas
    edited January 2011
    Exciting! I can see bone meal being very useful for my underground nursery.
  • TonyRockyHorrorTonyRockyHorror Alexandria, VA
    edited January 2011
    Wish I had waited a week to start my 5,000 block trip and tunnel south! Ahh well.
    edited January 2011
    Can confirm that gold picks do mine stone blocks faster than diamond picks, but they do NOT mine things like iron ore faster. In fact, they're balls slow for that.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Looks like rails are fixed in Patch 1.2_01
    edited January 2011
    No. More. Infinite. Springs.

:(

-Digi
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    ... what? Meaning no more water features? No more reusing your same bucket during lava saves?
    edited January 2011
    I did not create this, but the latest update has pushed things in such an awesome direction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEPVYrltke4
    edited January 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    ... what? Meaning no more water features? No more reusing your same bucket during lava saves?

Nono, water sources still work the same. What I was referring to is when you 2 source blocks touching another block would create another source block. This allowed you to have a 2x2 pond, put a source block on 2 corners and have what was referred to as an infinite spring. You could take a bucket of water out of it and it would regenerate itself. Now it does not, water works like lava now.

-Digi
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited January 2011
    I did not create this, but the latest update has pushed things in such an awesome direction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEPVYrltke4

Doing something like that would be awesome. New goal! haha
    edited January 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Nono, water sources still work the same. What I was referring to is when you 2 source blocks touching another block would create another source block. This allowed you to have a 2x2 pond, put a source block on 2 corners and have what was referred to as an infinite spring. You could take a bucket of water out of it and it would regenerate itself. Now it does not, water works like lava now.

-Digi

It's only a matter of time before minecart boosters get the same treatment. :(
    edited January 2011
    Notch has gone on record that he wants some type of boosting system. Whether he leaves the physics glitch that allows the current boosters in place or not hasn't yet been decided.
    edited January 2011
    This makes man made lakes exponentially more difficult to make. If you had a 10x10 square that you wanted to fill with water, you used to be able to do this by creating an infinite spring (as described above) in the corner of your 10x10 and then using that to add sources diagonally across for a total of 10 sources that would "create" the rest of the lake, this was easy. Now you would have to drop 100 buckets from 100 other sources. More moving a lake now then making one.

-Digi
    edited January 2011
    Something to note:

If you deploy a dispenser, make sure you empty it manually before destroying it. Anything you equipped inside will be destroyed when you break it down.
    edited January 2011
    The water 'fix' is disappointing only because it will make the oceans and seas ugly at the edges where people have gone to retrieve water...

I hope a future patch deals with that bit somehow.
    edited January 2011
    This! makes "rare" dyes A LOT less rare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K7BGI2Jq8E

-Digi
    edited January 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    This! makes "rare" dyes A LOT less rare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K7BGI2Jq8E

-Digi

This was patched in this morning's update. :(