Pandigital Novel Hacking

KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired)By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Science & Tech
A few of us on Icrontic have discovered an inexpensive e-reader that can be converted to a fully functional Android-based tablet. I'm proud to say that tonight I converted my $60 Pandigital Novel (PDN) e-reader into an 7" tablet running Android 2.0. A few more hacks and I should be able to run 2.2 with apps loaded to the SD card and JIT.

It still functions as an e-reader, but now I can load B&N as well as Kindle ebooks. I'd like to use this thread as a way for those of us with the PDN to relay your experiences and tips and tricks. Yes, there are many sites devoted to tablets, but it would be great to cull all those tips into a single thread.

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    What kind of hardware is it sporting?

I've been considering an android tablet. So far I've been leaning toward the Archos 70 Internet tablet though. Pre-loaded with 2.2, it's apparently extremely easy to load Android Market on it. Tech specs: http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_70it/specs.html?country=us&lang=en
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    It's a Samsung ARM 800MHz processor. I've played a few games and it actually seems more responsive than my HTC Hero. However, the major downside is the resistive screen, but I guess you shouldn't expect a nice capacitive screen for a sub-$100 tablet/ereader.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    It's a pretty nifty device, particularly when you factor in the (clearance) price.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2011
    Where are you getting panditigal's for $60 they are $150-180 for any that I've been looking at. Mind you that's the colour version I've been checking out.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Ebay!
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    kryyst wrote:
    Where are you getting panditigal's for $60 they are $150-180 for any that I've been looking at. Mind you that's the colour version I've been checking out.

At CES, Pandigital announced their 9" with cell radio, so the 7" was relegated to the hacking community pretty quickly.

Kohl's wasn't selling very many of them, so they clearanced them out for $59.99. I picked up 5. Dropping one on eBay this weekend.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I'm currently running a modified version the Cruz Reader FW. Runs much smoother, root works, busybox works, Kindle, nook, and Aldiko all work. Nook is a bit flaky at times, mainly when changing text size, but is otherwise great. Aldiko works fine. I haven't yet tried Kindle.

Market works perfectly. Most apps work, most games don't. Solitaire and Alchemy work. Going to install ADW Launcher soon.