120 mm Fans

RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
edited February 2011 in Hardware
My 2 120 mm fans from my thermaltake case have both stopped working.

I would be very interested in some QUIET, solid performing fans that won't break the bank..

Anyone have some suggestions?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Pretty much the best these days, is the one SPCR hasn't bothered to review. Gelid's silent 120's come in a variety of flavors (Remote Thermistor, Tach, and PWM) and move some serious air for the noise level. How serious? I'm using two of them in with a Xeon X3450, 16 gigs, two disks and a lot of load in a LiLi V351B. Can't hear the machine, and can't get the CPU over 45C with the stock heatsink.
    Here's the remote thermistor version, but SVC has the PWM and Tach as well.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Many, many forum users have individually reviewed the Gelid fans and they've been panned almost every time. Scythe continues to be their quiet producer of choice, with Yate Loon being a good budget alternative.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    (I still love my Gelid Wings. Only fans that run underwater!)

For sheer power, I still go with Scythes, though.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    get a hole-saw and make em 180mm or 240mm, then you will have quiet and 100+CFM
    ;)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    hole saw
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Many, many forum users have individually reviewed the Gelid fans and they've been panned almost every time. Scythe continues to be their quiet producer of choice, with Yate Loon being a good budget alternative.

Frankly, I'd take 'em with a truckload of salt then. Especially with a complete absence of empirical testing. I'm white noise sensitive with confirmed range to 27.5kHz; if a fan has the least bit of unpleasant characteristics, I am painfully aware. The only objectionable feature I've found on the Gelid's has been the ramping on the remote bulb version. (Disclaimer; I only use PWM.)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    hole saw

noted. must have had whores on the mind