Score a free movie for liking Redbox

KrystalleKrystalle Tampa Bay area, FL
edited February 2011 in Lifestyle

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    And with that, a warm welcome to Krystalle Voecks, our newest contributor :)
  • KrystalleKrystalle Tampa Bay area, FL
    edited February 2011
    Thanks! Good to be part of the team. ^.^
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Again, welcome to the Icrontic team, Krystalle! Great first article, by the way. It looks nice, is full of links, and was fun to read. And informative!

More on-topic: a Red Box has gone up at the gas station just down the street from my house. I may just take up this offer... though I always feel like I'm selling part of my digital soul when I see those "click I LIKE THIS and get stuff!" offers. =P
    edited February 2011
    Thanks, Bandrik! I'm a deal-hound, so it was fun to get to write it up as opposed to my normal method of tweeting deals.

I can totally understand the trepidation on clicking "like" for a freebie, too. Some of the marketing Facebook connections can really take advantage of people's pursuit of a deal to pull friends' information as well as one's own info. For what it's worth, this one only pulls your information, and I've never had an issue with Redbox spamming me or cluttering up my Facebook wall too much. They do these freebie giveaways every so often.

Mind, you can always snag the code and just hit "unlike" too. :)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Redbox just straight up wins. What is not to like? A buck a night, and you can take it back to whatever kiosk you want, and, best of all, you can reserve them online from their real time inventory then pick them up on your time. Its a brilliant system.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    The lazy prefer Netflix.

And WHEN are we going to get all-digital? Disks are so 20th century.
    edited February 2011
    The lazy prefer Netflix.

I love Netflix too, but I went hunting for The Muppet Movie the other day, and no dice. Disc or nothing.

Until they catch up with the backlog of awesome old movies out there, I'm going to hold onto my old-school media and streaming subscription. :D
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I have The Muppet Movie on DVD if you want. No charge.
    edited February 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    I have The Muppet Movie on DVD if you want. No charge.

Aww, thanks! I already broke down and ordered it, but I appreciate the thought. :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    My 4-year old just doesn't appreciate it like I did.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2011
    I have different problem with my 4 year old. She doesn't understand it when she goes to other peoples homes that she can't watch whatever she wants whenever she wants like she can at her house. She just doesn't get it that not everybody can stream anything SHE wants on demand. The whole concept of waiting until her favorite show comes on the channel is so foreign to her that she thinks they are trying to punish her.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    The lazy prefer Netflix.

This is exactly why I started ripping my entire DVD collection the other week. I have the storage. I have the HTPC. Now I just need to finish converting everything to x264/AAC
    edited February 2011
    kryyst wrote:
    I have different problem with my 4 year old. She doesn't understand it when she goes to other peoples homes that she can't watch whatever she wants whenever she wants like she can at her house. She just doesn't get it that not everybody can stream anything SHE wants on demand. The whole concept of waiting until her favorite show comes on the channel is so foreign to her that she thinks they are trying to punish her.

This is a pretty amazing example of how younger generations are interpreting new technologies in the entertainment industry. I won't even start by saying it's a good OR bad thing, but it certianly is interesting to see how kids are taking to tech these days.

My main fear is that one day I'll be complaining about networking my PS6 to my Windows 11 superdupercomputer and an 8 year old overhears me and says "oh that's easy, just cross-path the blahblahgeekystuffblah to the yaddayaddadoohicky, go to settings and set these fifty different things to these attributes, reset it twice and you're done!"

O_O

Yeah, it's gonna happen. If anything, just to piss all of today's tech geeks off. =P
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    It'll only happen if you become one of those old people that stop paying attention to technology.
    edited February 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    It'll only happen if you become one of those old people that stop paying attention to technology.

I'll only let them overtake me if I'm dead and can't stop them. And even then... bwa ha ha...