thermodynamics question

edited March 2011 in Hardware
Task is to maintain the temperature a device, lower than 40 C. The unit is operating for 5 minutes and then turned off for a time period that the device temperature reaches ambient temp 25 C. Suppose you have 10 heat sinks of different weights...0.1,0.2,0.3,...1.0 kg. Determine the temperature of the unit when the heat sinks are attached to the unit. Plot the temperature without the heat sink and together, (i.e. total 11 points) and find the weight that you achieve this objective. Discuss outcomes what will happen if you use materials of lower or higher specific heats than that of aluminum for the heat sink.

specs of device
30 W power consuming unit
mass= 20 g
specific heat= 850 J/kg-K

Anyone have any ideas to solve this out theoretically... I have EES to solve equations. Not sure exactly where to start.

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    We're not going to do your homework for you.
  • edited March 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    We're not going to do your homework for you.
    didn't ask to do homework for me, simply asked if anyone had any ideas on where to start, its a discussions page, not a tutoring service. If you don't have any helpful advice then don't reply
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    This is a forum for computer hardware mods and cooling, not thermodynamics discussions. You might find a few people here, but you'd be better off asking on a physics club discussion or something along those lines.

Now, was that helpful? Because if not, I don't care.
  • edited March 2011
    sure was, found some information on thermodynamics on this site on previous threads, thought it would be worth a shot. I'll look into the other sites as well.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    If you don't have any helpful advice then don't reply

It's good to see you know who's in charge Tamu. It's almost like Kwitko thinks he has a reputation of being awesome and helpful for years or something. The nerve of the guy for suggesting you do your own homework. I'll tell you where to start though, first you could try opening a textbook and reading it. Maybe even ask your teacher for advice. If that's too hard though I know what Carl Sagan would tell you to do.

140yoex.jpg
This discussion has been closed.