Town: Griefed

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Minecraft
Went into town just now and someone has blown a fair amount of it up. Town station is gone along with most of the first row of plots. There is lava over by the Pancake house which is almost all gone. Random creators throughout the rest of town.

:shakehead

-Digi

Comments

• branmysonbranmyson Ekalaka, MT
    edited March 2011
    I corroborate this, and provide this screenshot. It appears to include an older area of town. Hitman's tower of pain is now a ruined skeleton.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4826/20110307232727.png
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Damn..... as much as it would suck for me and my project elsewhere on the server, it looks like a reset to a backup may be in order.... :(
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I suppose someone (me?) could copy the old town into the current map when the server saves and restarts...
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    okocix.gif

Yes I mad
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I suppose someone (me?) could copy the old town into the current map when the server saves and restarts...

This is possible?

-Digi
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    How the...? How the hell did someone get enough TNT to do that?!
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Grinders. I have over 200.

Logs, please.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Anyone have any idea when this happened?
  • branmysonbranmyson Ekalaka, MT
    edited March 2011
    I can only be as precise as 'sometime in the last 2 days'. I last passed through town either Sat or Sun (whenever I last died) and it was fine then.
    edited March 2011
    I've restored the backup from yesterday. The logs from yesterday are at http://minecraft.ardichoke.info/backups/server.log.griefed

It looks to me like the only people online in the hours before town was discovered to be destroyed were Gorzo_The_Mighty, SuperStrife and possibly branmyson and DoubleOBond... all of which are non-regulars.
    edited March 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    This is possible?

Yes, thanks to the wonders of MCEdit. The backup from 3/7 shows no signs of griefing so it must have happened between the backup at noon and whenever Bobby noticed it.
    edited March 2011
    This just in:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=28854&stc=1&d=1299602186

Loaded the inventories stored in the 3/7 backup for the 4 players suspected and I found this. I suppose I can't say for certain that he did it, but this looks incredibly incriminating. I didn't edit this at all, anyone can verify this by checking yesterday's backup.
    edited March 2011
    There is a new (to me) obsidian tower in town, inside lined with diamond blocks, and the top was lined with TNT last night. Guess we need to talk to Super about what may have happened.

-Digi
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I believe that obsidian/TNT tower is TonyRockyHorror's (if I recall reserved spots correctly).
    edited March 2011
    Given the fact that he was on the server at the time, had an inventory full of TNT, and was only vouched for by a non-regular, I'm removing Strife from the whitelist.

I also think we need to go back to not letting newbs vouch for newbs.
    edited March 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    I also think we need to go back to not letting newbs vouch for newbs.
    QFT

Also, that obsidian tower was in the backup yesterday (and therefore is still there now).
  • edited March 2011
    I'd like to apologize as I'm the one who vouched for him, I'm not saying sorry on his behalf as it was extremely stupid for him to do that. The rules were explained to him, and this was a blatant disregard of them. I know my name is attached to his with the vouch and when I learned of this last night, I was quite pissed but didn't know what to do. I've spent a considerable amount of time on this server building some awesome things, and I thought for sure I would get the same treatment that strife did. I'm glad that this is so far not the case.

I will go right ahead a throw strife under the bus here and confirm it was him if there was any doubt. I can deal with him doing silly/stupid and sometimes funny things to our creations, but this is way out of hand.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Thank you Captain.
    edited March 2011
    Given the fact that he stood up and did the right thing here, I don't see the need to punish Capt. in this instance, so long as there are no objections.

As Strife was in his probationary period still, as far as I'm concerned he is no longer welcome on the server at all.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Amazing to see that good old fashioned detective work solved this case.

:thumbsup:
    edited March 2011
    Glad to see the matter is settled. Now I just have to go back and redo several hours of work.... :grumble:
    edited March 2011
    Colgere wrote:
    Glad to see the matter is settled. Now I just have to go back and redo several hours of work.... :grumble:

I would like to help. I gather you were mining some obsidian, if you were mining it to get it out of the way, I will bring my Diamond Pick, if you were mining to get obsidian for a project, I think I have a stack or two I can donate. I'll probably be hopping on shortly after 6pm PST tonight.

I'm glad to see this was worked out in a civilized manor. Thank you Capt for coming forward.

Mine On Friends!

-Digi
    edited March 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    I would like to help. I gather you were mining some obsidian, if you were mining it to get it out of the way, I will bring my Diamond Pick, if you were mining to get obsidian for a project, I think I have a stack or two I can donate. I'll probably be hopping on shortly after 6pm PST tonight.

I'm glad to see this was worked out in a civilized manor. Thank you Capt for coming forward.

Mine On Friends!

-Digi

I appreciate the offer Bobby, but that's ok. One of the rules I set out for the project I'm working on is that I would do it alone (including mining every freaking piece of obsidian required :p). I do invite you to stop out and see what it is I'm working on though, it's located at approximately +800:+800.
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I would just like to say that I wasnt trying to blow up the town, i was just trying to make a large structure out of TNT and obsidian. I agree with your decision, and thank you for not banning CM as I got in from him.
    edited March 2011
    I should also mention that the above concept of large TNT structure in town was a horrible idea, and i'm sorry for the inconvenience it caused other miners.
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I would just like to say that I wasnt trying to blow up the town, i was just trying to make a large structure out of TNT and obsidian. I agree with your decision, and thank you for not banning CM as I got in from him.

You know, I was talking to my fiance about this possibility while I was at lunch. I mentioned it was in a pattern that looked like it could have been a spread of TNT blowing itself up.

While I am not a fan of TNT as decoration (for now obvious reasons) If it was an accident, well accidents happen, that's not griefing. If you care to explain a bit more, (What you were trying to build and where, Why you didn't say something when it happened?) I don't think your ban has to be permanent. If you care not to explain and just move on, I understand that also and wish you good mining.

Edit: Yeah I forgot about Hitman's tower, that looked pretty malicious.

-Digi
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    You were trying to build a large TNT structure on, around, and INSIDE the houses of about 4 people. Hitman's Tower was almost completely destroyed from top to bottom and it's probably the tallest thing in town. Your actions were either malicious or unbelievably idiotic. Either way I really don't care, you had to have known it was a bad idea before you even started it. Get out.
    edited March 2011
    Personally, I'm pretty much with Canti on this one. With that amount of damage it was either intentionally malicious or such an incredibly massive bad decision that it may as well have been intentionally malicious.
    edited March 2011
    ok, well my plan was to build a parabolic cone of TNT on top of an obsidian base, with a ton of diamond (painstakingly mined since I got onto the server, and I even had enough to fix that one house someone stole diamond from in town).
    The explosion happened when I was about half done, and was the result of 3 minor errors.
    Error 1 as not having a good internet connection when I was building,
    Error 2 was I internally placed a TNT block on accident, placing it in the inner circle of obsidian
    Error 3 was not looking above where I was attempting to put in a pressure plate, thus blowing myself, my chest, and way too much hard work and time into oblivion, and crashing my game.

I did not place TNT inside any houses, TNT apparently acts like an MIRV if you place it wrong.
    And yeah, in hindsight, TNT was not a good building material.
    edited March 2011
    I want to fight for you SS, I don't think it is in the spirit of Icrontic to ban someone over an accident, no matter how dumb the decisions leading up the the accident were. Hind sight is 20/20, we all make mistakes, so on and so on. That said, I'm having a hard time understand how the giant tower got as disintegrated as it did. Where were you building said cone? Where was the base? How did the top of a tower that goes as far as you can build get cheese graded?

-Digi