Town: Griefed

Comments

• SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited March 2011
    the base of the structure was the obsidian thing thats still in town I think. There was just a bunch of dirt and what looked like a few random blocks and no signs on the ground, so I guessed that it was a 11x11 plot of land you're allowed to build things on.
    I also dont really know how the land around the base got so wrecked, as I thought TNT just fell down and blew up, as whenever I had used a block or two before, TNT seemed to just fall through blocks whenever it was set off.

I made the base obsidian in case there was an explosion, only my torches and a block or two would be affected. The cone got pretty high, maybe 30 blocks or so?
    My only guess as to how the tower and land around TNT got wrecked is that the TNT somehow spreads out then explodes, rather than just falling down and blowing up.

I saw the screenshot and I know it looks like TNT was everywhere, but I only placed the TNT blocks within the 11x11 and I thought that the obsidian would contain them so that they did not mess up the ground around the block, as obsidian is not destroyed by TNT, hence the need for an incredibly time consuming base to the building.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    This makes sense. I saw the big black thing on Tony's plot a couple days ago, but did not notice any TNT at the time. You built on someone else claimed plot. That in itself, not a big deal, he had not developed it yet, was just dirt with his initials, we can level that back to normal.

TNT is effected by the force of other TNT after it is struck. So One TNT will launch other TNTs in all directions when lit in sequence. That is the basis of how TNT cannons work in Minecraft.

Knowing this, the damage that I remember fits the pattern that SuperStrife is telling the truth. I believe him this was a series of mishaps and not an attack.

-Digi
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Intentional or not, I'm still not thrilled about the situation for 2 reasons

1) He built on someone else's town plot. Weather or not they started building there isn't so much relevant, they claimed the plot (and laid down their initials) thus it should not have been built on.

2) It's incredibly, inexcusably stupid to build an all-TNT structure in Icrontitown. That's a shared area with peoples buildings very close together. If there's any place on the map that people should know better than to place a bunch of TNT, it's there (quite frankly, I'm none too keen on the tower that's topped with TNT either, but that's another discussion entirely)

If someone wants to put up a poll for excusing Strife, and we get a damn strong majority voting to clear him, I'll go with the vote. Otherwise, I'd consider this a clear violation of the guidelines and I'm sticking with them.
    edited March 2011
    I guess what I was trying to say was that I didnt really know better, as I'm fairly new to minecraft and just sat in a grinder to get TNT for hours, and thought I could make a 'safe' structure in town (by putting it off the ground away from the other buildings and ground), as the rules state you cannot destroy other peoples things. I did not know it belonged to anyone, since there was nothing there and the other buildings seemed finished.

I understand that I caused many people alot of trouble, including ardichoke, and if anyone lost anything I'm sorry, I know how long it takes to build things and its a real pain to have to reset or worse, rebuild.
    edited March 2011
    I'm putting up a poll

Edit: Poll is up

-Digi
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    I also think we need to go back to not letting newbs vouch for newbs.

Wasn't aware this was a possibility. Who thought that was a good idea? D'oh.
    edited March 2011
    Also, note Strife didn't say a word until he got called out.
    edited March 2011
    SuperStrife, What time did you set off the TNT and crash?
  • branmysonbranmyson Ekalaka, MT
    edited March 2011
    I will not vote in the poll, due to my standing as a non regular. That said, I will offer one more bit of evidence for your consideration: While I was in the town following the discovery of the destruction, I passed by my ugly house, and did note that the two diamond blocks that were missing from my wall (taken when we did not have a white list) had been replaced. SS mentioned doing that in the hours prior to the blast, and with the rollback the holes have returned. (I have/had not replaced them yet due to my attention being elsewhere) That is all.
  • edited March 2011
    I do know that using mcedit and taking a backup it'd take about 5 minutes of work to restore the damaged area. Doesn't change the fact that it was stupid, but still. The amount of time to restore the area that was damaged isn't catastrophic.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Wasn't aware this was a possibility. Who thought that was a good idea? D'oh.

This is moot anyway because if CM hadn't vouched for him, I would have. How he got on the whitelist is not the issue. The issue is if he should be allowed to remain.

I don't think it was a malicious attack, and I'm willing to trust that, after all this, it's not going to happen again.

I mean: if it wasn't for the thread you guys made about minecraft cannons, I wouldn't know about the physics of dynamite anymore than superstrife did. All my personal experience with it would have led me to the same conclusions he came to.

You can say that half of the youtube tutorials are about dynamite, but I've personally never seen one because I've never watched any minecraft tutorials on youtube. I do all my experimenting in the game on my own.

He learned in a way that was hard for others, but that's no reason to kick a friend of a friend from our server permanently.
    edited March 2011
    It was late last night (Monday), and I told moustache about it after I crashed so he would know. I was pretty pissed I lost all my TNT and diamonds, and I guess moustache or someone could distribute a couple blocks of obsidian or diamond to anyone who was working and lost their work as a result of this if that helps any. (i'll let him know where my chest is)

and for technocrat: I had work today, and am not allowed to check 'for fun' websites while there. I dont think it's that unreasonable that I apologized after work the next day.
    edited March 2011
    I do know that using mcedit and taking a backup it'd take about 5 minutes of work to restore the damaged area. Doesn't change the fact that it was stupid, but still. The amount of time to restore the area that was damaged isn't catastrophic.

Doesn't matter if it would take 5 seconds or 5 years to repair. The point is that people shouldn't be blowing things up or doing things that results in blowing other peoples things up. It's against the server rules and if you have a problem with them then either propose amendments or find another server to play on.

I run the server on my free time for the benefit of the community. Any extra time I have to spend repairing damage, restoring backups, digging through logs, etc. is time that I could spend with my girlfriend or doing any number of other things I'd rather do.
  • edited March 2011
    As previously stated, he didn't do it on purpose, it wasn't malicious etc.
    edited March 2011
    and as I previously stated, intentional or not, who in the hell things that making a gigantic pile of TNT in the middle of town is a good idea? Anyone who thinks it's a good idea shows a complete lack of judgement in my opinion.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that he blew everything up before 10pm last night. He then didn't own up to it until after he had been found out already and removed from the Whitelist. If he was really sorry about what he had done, I would expect him to fess up a lot sooner than 20 hours later.
    edited March 2011
    Well I would like to say that I read all the tutorials on the rules page, and none of them really dealt with TNT. you're right i have very poor judgment, but I tried to make it so no one would get hurt but me if the TNT blew, and I might add that it took me weeks of work to get obsidian so that I could make it safe. I really tried to have good judgement, I just didnt know about how TNT worked on a large scale I guess.

and as for waiting 20hrs, i'm sure you can empathize with not wanting to play any game and going to sleep after blowing up yourself and several weeks of work, crashing your game, and being really pissed off.

I'm not really sure what your circumstances are ardichoke, but I'm not allowed to access forums at work (i'm a student, so they let me only go to educational sites), so the next day after work I was here admitting I did it. (and I didnt even know about the thread 'grief' untill I was told, so I would have been making my own apology thread otherwise at 5pm when I got off)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    branmyson wrote:
    I will offer one more bit of evidence for your consideration: While I was in the town following the discovery of the destruction, I passed by my ugly house, and did note that the two diamond blocks that were missing from my wall (taken when we did not have a white list) had been replaced. SS mentioned doing that in the hours prior to the blast, and with the rollback the holes have returned.

We have a considerable issue with diamond BLOCK going missing in the past few weeks: yours, cola's, Zanthian's.

I really feel that any more item disappearances, even from a single individual, need to be researched just as thoroughly as the destruction of town, because this pattern is rather disturbing.

That being said, I voted that there is doubt in my mind that the action leading to town's destruction is malicious. THEFT, on the other hand, certainly is malicious... :hrm:
    edited March 2011
    I'm sorry that the diamonds I donated to your 'ugly' house got rolled back, I hope thats some kind of proof for you that i wasnt maliciously trying to wreck town.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Doesn't matter if it would take 5 seconds or 5 years to repair. The point is that people shouldn't be blowing things up or doing things that results in blowing other peoples things up. It's against the server rules and if you have a problem with them then either propose amendments or find another server to play on.

I run the server on my free time for the benefit of the community. Any extra time I have to spend repairing damage, restoring backups, digging through logs, etc. is time that I could spend with my girlfriend or doing any number of other things I'd rather do.

Ardi, you're being a bit harsh here, he only broke the "destroy, damage, or alter" rule, and inadvertently at that. Ignorance is an annoyance, not a crime :buck:. Repeated actions like this would show true maliciousness, and would require more action. Also, though I do thank you for your services in running our server, you also have certain responsibilities in taking that on, i.e. making backups and restoring them when necessary. I guess I don't know how much time it takes up to dig through a log, or to restore a backup, but it seems like this problem was resolved fairly quickly. I'm not saying that he was right in making the TNT thing, but it (or something like it) was bound to happen by letting people who are new to MC in our server.

I'd personally like more attention to be payed to the stolen diamonds and diamond blocks. That might be a conflict of interest though, since it was roughly a full stack of my diamonds that went missing.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    This was both incredibly amusing and confusing to read.
    edited March 2011
    lol
    edited March 2011
    cola wrote:
    I'd personally like more attention to be payed to the stolen diamonds and diamond blocks. That might be a conflict of interest though, since it was roughly a full stack of my diamonds that went missing.

I would as well. I'm working on a way to handle this kind of stuff. It's probably going to take a fair amount of work though as the plugins for dealing with this kind of stuff all require a fair amount of setup and tweaking.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Thanks, man, I really appreciate that :)
    edited March 2011
    Oh, also, in case you didn't notice LWC is installed on the server now so you can make your chests private/password/etc.

Type /lwc in game to get a usage summary
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    My tower will be avenged! god I am gone for like 2 weeks and all hell breaks loose!!!!
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited March 2011
    UPS Hitman wrote:
    My tower will be avenged! god I am gone for like 2 weeks and all hell breaks loose!!!!

This is nothing new. Lol.

I'm fairly certain this is why a number of people from when the server first became an IC server are no longer playing Minecraft.
    edited March 2011
    true that. Its a shame I miss all the cool people that used to play. I think its funny for all the people that wanted to nuke the orginal server because it would be somthing new and that it will bring the community closer. HA! All it did was do the the exact opossite and now almost all the orignal players that wanted a new server are no longer playing.... its a shame.
  • edited March 2011
    How many were playing during the glory days?
    edited March 2011
    a good 15 to 20 a night.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    It's not really about the number though. We've picked up quite a few new people since the reboot, which is great. We like getting new people into the community, and gaming is the biggest way we do that.

The deal is that a few of the people who were very devoted to the game before the reboot left and we miss them. It's no one's fault, though, the server just went in a different direction than some of them wanted.