• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Yep, there was already a tl;dr
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    _k_ wrote:
    Am I too late?
    Yes. Again. At least you are consistent*

*unlike SSDs, which are apparently massive inconsistent and would eat your children at the drop of a bit
    edited May 2011
    Shorty wrote:
    Yes. Again. At least you are consistent*

*unlike SSDs, which are apparently spiders and the only option is to nuke them from orbit

FTFY
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I had a gigglefit at Jeff Atwood's claim to be the king of backup.

Please. He's not even a duchess. W. Curtis Preston AKA Mr. Backup has forgotten more about backup than Jeff has ever learned. Shameless self-promoting bastards FTW, amirite? Invalidates his entire argument by insisting on baseless self-promoting, then goes on to make shit up without bothering to make a sound argument or even cover why SSD failures are different (because they are.)

TL,DR: Jeff Atwood doesn't know shit about backup, doesn't know shit about storage, and should stick to pointing out shitty programming.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    _k_ wrote:
    Am I too late?

427517_capt.b248c3cd64c74786b7aad27b173f337a.aptopix_obama_2008_orjh118.jpg

It's never too late for Ponies!

9kv977.jpg
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    That looks shooped.
    edited May 2011
    Ardi
    RageFace.png

RootWyrm wrote:
    I had a gigglefit at Jeff Atwood's claim to be the king of backup.

Please. He's not even a duchess. W. Curtis Preston AKA Mr. Backup has forgotten more about backup than Jeff has ever learned. Shameless self-promoting bastards FTW, amirite? Invalidates his entire argument by insisting on baseless self-promoting, then goes on to make shit up without bothering to make a sound argument or even cover why SSD failures are different (because they are.)

TL,DR: Jeff Atwood doesn't know shit about backup, doesn't know shit about storage, and should stick to pointing out shitty programming.

Me
    lol-face.jpg
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I own no SSDs. I am not yet convinced of their reliability. They are also too expensive. The speed is nice, but really, how much speed do we need? There comes a point where more technology is only there to boost sales, like white iPhones and dual core CPUs in smart phones. All it is really good for is making a bigger price tag. I do not care much about the manufacturers claiming X million hours MTBF, all I know is I see people ranting about SSDs failing early.

So I'll stick with old fashioned hard drives for a few more years yet.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    The speed difference is most noticeable when installing programs (or the OS), loading files and games, and booting the system. So if you don't mind waiting for that stuff there's no reason to get a SSD. But I like being the first guy in the map when playing FPSs.
    edited May 2011
    Tim brings the tim comment. Everyone moves on.
    how much speed do we need?
    As much as possible, and then some more.
    All it is really good for is making a bigger price tag
    Or it adds real world benefits, like loading your computer sub 30 seconds, or faster if you are running light. The new Vertex 3 drives can probably get Win7 up in 15-18 seconds. Nuts.
    So I'll stick with old fashioned hard drives for a few more years yet.
    gonna hang on to those IDE drives?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I had SSD failure this past Monday evening after class at LSU. I'll toss the laptop because it's not worth the trouble.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    Tim brings the tim comment.
    I love the fact that you can call something a Tim comment and people just understand.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Canti wrote:
    It's never too late for Ponies!

9kv977.jpg

Why does Rainbow Dash always look so angry?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    You have to understand something, Ardi... From the outside, it looks really bad on your part to just drag Thrax's name into this for absolutely no reason, unprovoked. Your argument goes something like "SSDs suck, here's why, but ALSO THRAX IS A BLOWHARD."

It's kind of hard to untangle the technology argument from what seems to be, from the outside, a personal problem with Thrax.

Just my honest, uninvolved opinion. You came across as really confrontational for no apparent reason in your initial post.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Everything fails period, this is silly but fun to read.
    I can make it really simple though..
    - SSD will not stop being popular even if they prove less reliable than originally thought because they are fast and silent
    - You will never win any argument by getting emotional and not providing facts
    - If you start an argument the burden of proof is on you, jury doooty 101. The defense doesn't have to prove shit mr. prosecutor
    - I am absolutely 100% completely only replying to this because I am avoiding thesis work
    - I love my 300mb/s ssd and I will never miss my mechanical piece of crap. Of course people need to backup either way.
    - It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake ... you gotta do the cooking by the book, you know you can't be lazy.
    edited May 2011
    You have to understand something, Ardi... From the outside, it looks really bad on your part to just drag Thrax's name into this for absolutely no reason, unprovoked. Your argument goes something like "SSDs suck, here's why, but ALSO THRAX IS A BLOWHARD."

It's kind of hard to untangle the technology argument from what seems to be, from the outside, a personal problem with Thrax.

Just my honest, uninvolved opinion. You came across as really confrontational for no apparent reason in your initial post.

I agree. It was kind of like, hey Thrax I challenge you to a game of chess in which I will refuse to take any turns but you know I'd win dickbag. Then when Thrax said I don't want to play, well then other stuff happened.

God I need to write this paper...
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    - It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake ... you gotta do the cooking by the book, you know you can't be lazy.

Never use a messy recipe
    The cake will end up crazy
    UPSLynx wrote:

Because she is 20% cooler than the others and this thread is now 20% cooler by extension.
    You came across as really confrontational for no apparent reason in your initial post.

Also this.
    edited May 2011
    Thread needs
    1304472402931.jpg
    edited May 2011
    giggle
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Canti wrote:
    Because she is 20% cooler than the others and this thread is now 20% cooler by extension.

I thought rainbow dash was a guy SOLELY BECAUSE of all the mashups. Specifically this one.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K6dq_tbapBY&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    edited May 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    PCP and/or Cocaine. Glassy eyes gotta come from some good drugs.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    If it wasn't for the speed bumps and people like me buying new shiny stuff we wouldn't have the old stuff you claim is reliable today...

SSD's are more reliable that platter drives... I can prove this with my own data...

In the last 3 years I have had 5 platter drives fail me in some way. In the past 2 years I have had 0 SSD's fail me. To date I have now owned and worked with more SSD's then platter HHD's and am confident in saying run SSD's for programs and always backup your data no matter what kind of drive you own.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    *sigh* Are we really back to using anecdotes as data? Let's just close this thread.
    edited May 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    PCP and/or Cocaine. Glassy eyes gotta come from some good drugs.

v5ipgn.jpg

Annes wrote:
    *sigh* Are we really back to using anecdotes as data? Let's just close this thread.

34fjv3m.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Canti is one of my heroes.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Annes wrote:

Fluttershydoesntknow-1.png

Eh, why not.

This is now a Derpy thread

Dirp2-1.png
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I agree. It was kind of like, hey Thrax I challenge you to a game of chess in which I will refuse to take any turns but you know I'd win dickbag.

but...my status is equal to that of the person I can get to argue with me, right?

Right, guys?

Guys?

Please argue with me.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    pony-rage_01.jpg?1302938404
    edited May 2011
    Myrmidon wrote:
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K6dq_tbapBY&quot; allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="560"></iframe>

That made me laugh, about the only mash up still needing to be done is a My Lovely Horse/My Little Pony one now.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jzYzVMcgWhg?rel=0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I've never used SSDs before but I'm definately planning on it since my new case has an SSD hot swap