GeForce2 GTS/PRO or GF4 Mx440 8x?

WahoogieWahoogie Marietta, GA, USA
edited July 2003 in Hardware
Well, I'm building a comp for my sister...which is pretty damn quick. She's currently using the Geforce2 GTS/PRO and I'm ordering a 440mx 8x with her new comp. The old stuff is gonna stay with my mom, minus possibly the video card.

So the question is, which is better? The MX or the GTS/PRO?

Comments

• DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    From what i've heard it is either that the gts is better or they are equal. Should of bought her a gf4ti4200.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    how much would the gf4mx cost? My suggestion would be to go on ebay or pricewatch or something and pick up a Radeon 8500 if she needs good gaming performance. They're less than $100 now, and my 64mb non-LE ocs to 295 RAM/320 core and @ that speed, does 11-12k in 3dmark2001se on an ASUS A7N8X w/1GB DDR400 & a 2200+ @ 2600+ speeds... however, to get it to that core speed, I glued a 1u copper heatsink onto it, complete with 60mm low profile fan... I may unglue it and sandwich a pelt in there in the next few weeks tho...

As for the gf4mx, I've heard they overclock well... what would she be using the comp. for? The systems I've recommended for my Grandfather to use in his office (word, internet, some autocad stuff) use GF2MX400 64mb cards and do just fine... so do all the systems we just donated to Habitat For Humanity. Most of the office systems still run Diamond Viper 550s, and they're plenty fast enough for office & windows...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021218/index.html

some video comparo

The MX440 is slightly better, but a R8500 or GF4Ti4200 will blow it away.
  • WahoogieWahoogie Marietta, GA, USA
    edited July 2003
    I realize that, but I'm trying to save a bit of her cash here. She's buyin a replacement for my mother...and she doesn't need to do anything beyond web browsing... and the 440 is only 50 bucks.

Oh, and this GTS also clocks to way beyond ultra speeds no problem, so according to that THG article (which I take with a grain of salt...) it should best the mx440 by quite a bit.
    edited July 2003
    for just web browsing, anything that you find that'll fit in a PCI or AGP slot and run on Windows XP ought to be more than sufficient. Just make sure that you disable the visual fluff... it makes my desktop (w/the 8500) run noticeably faster with it off, so...
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    tomshardware...blasphemy i say...blasphemy...
    JK!
    /edit
    but on a more serious note...ive used an nvidia riva TNT for web browsing (diamond viper 550) and it works just fine in XP. But as geeky1 said...tune down the visuals and ull be golden. However, i believe that with the availability of graphics cards today, you should go with something that has more VRAM. Like the ati rage 32mb...that shouldnt be expensive at all and it should suite you just right
    edited July 2003
    wugaroo... I've got a R128 32mb. I thought the GF2GTS had 64mb... @ any rate, the R128 is decent for XP, but it DOES NOT support OpenGL or D3D with the Microsoft drivers, and it seems to be picky about the ATi R128 drivers (some Windows installs it's faster than others)

Wait, so the Diamond Vipers are TNTs? So can I use the nVidia reference driver on them? Is there some kind of a list I can get of which Diamond card uses which chip, because my dad's still got 30+ of 'em running in office machines @ my grandfather's company, and Diamond has discontinued support for them, and aftermarket support is sketchy at best...

Anyhow, I know people who run GF2GTSs in XP and don't have a problem... hell, they play UT2K3 (albiet slowly) on it and it runs... I'd go with a card that has a passive cooling system if at all possible tho, and put a slot fan underneath it because that's a lot more reliable than one of the dinky fans they use on video cards... Anything that can manage ~1000 or more in 3dmark2001se is MORE than fast enough for XP (my R128 does 976 on my K7D-L w/a single 2200...)
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    yeah....the viper 770 was tnt2 and the 550 was tnt...im like 98% sure about that...but the 770 was DEF a TNT2