How to: Root a Nook Color, install CyanogenMod 7, and overclock it

1235»

Comments

• edited December 2011
    How about v1.4.1? Thanks.
  • has anyone had a problem with the nook shutting all the way off if after leaving it alone for a while? it's really just a hassle, but it is kind of a big one.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    has anyone had a problem with the nook shutting all the way off if after leaving it alone for a while? it's really just a hassle, but it is kind of a big one.
    When plugged in or on battery? How long? I assume you mean all the way off as in it performs a cold boot when you turn it on, rather than resuming from sleep state.
  • has anyone had a problem with the nook shutting all the way off if after leaving it alone for a while? it's really just a hassle, but it is kind of a big one.
    When plugged in or on battery? How long? I assume you mean all the way off as in it performs a cold boot when you turn it on, rather than resuming from sleep state.
    you know, it's funny- i can't seem to pinpoint any specific pattern. i've seen it both when plugged in or when on the battery alone. and i'm not sure after how much time it will happen again.

but yes, you are correct: it goes all the way off-a "cold boot"-where i see the cyanogenmod7 logo, instead of just resuming from sleep.
  • guide worked to perfection, but after getting set up i did something dumb (enabled lockscreen then disabled slider ( was trying to get get a circle unlock thing ive seen before) and was unable to get back into the home screen (wasnt presented with normal enter gmail account to bypass passcode).

So I rebooted into recovery, cleared cache and rebooted. I had to do the initial gmail account setup, but all my apps are still there. Now my system is ultra laggy. Is there a way to do a complete reinstall?

Also when it was working, my pc and mac didnt detect it as a valid device or give me access to the sd card, is this a known issue?
    has anyone had a problem with the nook shutting all the way off if after leaving it alone for a while? it's really just a hassle, but it is kind of a big one.
    you know, it's funny- i can't seem to pinpoint any specific pattern. i've seen it both when plugged in or when on the battery alone. and i'm not sure after how much time it will happen again.

but yes, you are correct: it goes all the way off-a "cold boot"-where i see the cyanogenmod7 logo, instead of just resuming from sleep.
    I'm not sure why that would be happening, as I personally have not experienced that with the latest available nightly (253). From this thread, it may be related to WiFi and there are fixes available (setting profiles to turn off wifi when going to sleep). Try that and report back.
    So I rebooted into recovery, cleared cache and rebooted. I had to do the initial gmail account setup, but all my apps are still there. Now my system is ultra laggy. Is there a way to do a complete reinstall?
    Yes. Follow the directions either here or just follow the directions again from the beginning (i.e. setup the SD card, wipe data/factory reset, flash CM7 and GApps, etc).

I'm not sure why that would be happening, as I personally have not experienced that with the latest available nightly (253). From this thread, it may be related to WiFi and there are fixes available (setting profiles to turn off wifi when going to sleep). Try that and report back.
    Yes. Follow the directions either here or just follow the directions again from the beginning (i.e. setup the SD card, wipe data/factory reset, flash CM7 and GApps, etc).
    i followed your links...i had already bought AutomateIt, and with the copy, scheduled WiFi to turn off when the screen does, and back on with the screen. A week later, and no problems!
    TAHNK YOU!!

Awesome!
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    Finished/Fixed my root. I followed everything, but something didn't quite finish, and the buttons were screwed up. I think there was something wrong with the nightly I downloaded. Thomas fixed it for me, and it's working great! I haven't done too much with it yet, but I'm having fun so far. Thanks for the guide, Rob!
  • I've got a stock Nook Color, which I've kept updated. For a number of reasons, rather than rooting the device as your instructions here do (and wiping out the internal software), I've opted for the Nook2Android card (http://n2acards.com - it reports itself as CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1-encore) and generally boot off the SD card into Android. I have the same 'incompatible' error from the market. However, when I loaded ES File Explorer and attempted to enable both root options, I was unable to mount / or /system as writable. Suggestions/solutions/advice? I'd rather not resort to wiping the stock software; this way, I have the best of both worlds (except for the market incompatibility problem).
  • Hello Thrax, yours is the best guide I have read yet. I've been trying to get my NC either rooted or running CM7 from the sd for a week now with nothing but failure, I have followed your instructions to the letter but keep hitting the same wall....my NC refuses to boot to the sd......thoughts?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Do you know what version of the Nook software you are currently running?
  • The latest 1.4.1
  • I downloaded 1.2 to roll back my NC but am unsure how to go about it.....suggestions?

Thanks
  • I used your guide (AWESOME by the way) and I'm stuck. It's probably something simple that I'm just missing. In clockworksm wiped both caches, installed cm7 and gapps. Next step is reboot... Everytime I reboot, I'm brought back to the clockworksm recovery. I tried holding just the power to shut it off and on, tried selecting reboot system now... What am I missing here? Thanks!
    You removed the sdcard as instructed, right?
  • Oh, oops looked right over that part somehow lol. Works perfect now. Thank ya
  • *sighs* okay maybe not perfect. I had this issue when rooting my phone and can't remember how I fixed it. Tons of force closes and rom manager says please update before using but can't update it because can't open market. Is it an unstable nightly build doing this? Just wondering before I wipe and install a different one. If that's even what it takes to fix it. Thanks again for your time.
    Boot to Recovery, fix permissions?
    *sighs* okay maybe not perfect. I had this issue when rooting my phone and can't remember how I fixed it. Tons of force closes and rom manager says please update before using but can't update it because can't open market. Is it an unstable nightly build doing this? Just wondering before I wipe and install a different one. If that's even what it takes to fix it. Thanks again for your time.
    Wipe and re-flash.

• Thanks great post! I had already rooted twice since first getting my Nook Color in 2010 but used your advanced settings to overclock and I see a big improvement thanks for posting.
  • ChemriofChemriof Soviet Scotland
    I'm looking to wipe the current install, and install a fresh one, is it as easy as it seems?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    Chemriof said:

I'm looking to wipe the current install, and install a fresh one, is it as easy as it seems?

Should be as easy as a wipe and choose zip from SD or whatever the option is, yes. I've done it many times trying out different flavors, but I seems to always come back to Cyanogenmod. :P

edited August 2012
    Chemriof said:

If you are going to brand new, wipe data/factory reset from recovery, flash new ROM according to any instructions (typically installing from SD, but you can also do it via ADB if you have that setup). There are also ICS based builds available for Nook Color
  • ChemriofChemriof Soviet Scotland
    awesome, though I'm having difficulty finding a GAPPS package
    From the cyanogenmod wiki page on NC, here is the download link for the appropriate gapps package (assuming you are using CM7). Many apps are installed via Pacman (a mini app that simply allows you to select google apps from market instead of prepackaging them) upon first boot.