I'm looking for an 802.11n router, here's my research

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Science & Tech
I know many of you (like me) are still running on modded Linksys WRT54G(L) devices, and have been for damn near the last 10 years. But I'm finally in a position where it's time to go 802.11n, and I did some research to find the "best" router.

IMO, those of you looking to upgrade now should get the Linksys E4200. I'll be waiting for the Asus RT-N66U.

Here's my compiled table.
Β«13

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Funny you posted this now as I have been looking to get a new router. And the 4200 was what I came up with as the winner with the TRENDnet TEW-692GR coming in second.

What are you basing you conclusion on waiting for the Asus RT-N66U on?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    The hardware is the clincher for the N66U. It's more powerful than an E4200, has the same WLAN features, and also has DD-WRT support already. Given Asus track record with pricing, it's likely to be cheaper than the Linksys as well.

Hopefully it gets Tomato support, too, as I prefer that to DD-WRT (by a wide margin).
    edited August 2011
    It could be worth waiting for but Asus has had a poor track record the past 2 yrs with no support and using Ralink proc's that have not been the most stable. I am not in a hurry since I have been using draft 2 N for some time now. My problem is a landscape that refuses to clean up since moving into town.
    edited August 2011
    You'll notice that most of the "enticing" routers on the list are Broadcom, and that's for a reason. Broadcom definitely makes the best chipsets, and it's good to see one in the N66U (confirmed already by DD-WRT devs).

Yes, ralink sucks. And I don't need support if I have third-party firmware.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Picked up a refurb E2000 and threw DD-WRT on it. Like it so far and the only thing I "don't" like is that the thread/wiki is semi-out of date for that router (meaning, I have the "recommended" build from the wiki, while the database recs the latest build (16xxx vs 14629)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I really should throw DD-WRT on my E2000. The wifi sucks on it now (drops connections all the time, even when I stand 5 feet away)
    edited August 2011
    I only have two barely wireless clients (ipod touch and nook that I still haven't gone through Rob's guide for due to not being able to locate my microSD and USB adapter ... moving), so they wouldn't really stress it anyways. I have heard very good things though. Just make sure you follow the wiki instructions exactly.
    edited August 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    Picked up a refurb E2000 and threw DD-WRT on it. Like it so far and the only thing I "don't" like is that the thread/wiki is semi-out of date for that router (meaning, I have the "recommended" build from the wiki, while the database recs the latest build (16xxx vs 14629)

The Wiki has instructions on updating to 16x, and even 17x builds on the E2k. The 14629 build is only to prep the device for later builds.
    edited August 2011
    Gotcha. That was the feeling I got from the thread that was locked back in May, but wasn't sure.
    edited August 2011
    I think I will be on board for the RT-N66U after doing some reading. Was nice to be off today, even though I am quite ill. I did find the info on the processors.

Asus forums

tomato.org forums seem to feel tomato support is a given for this router!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Why are there none of the Buffalo options on that table? This what I'm looking at for my next router. Wireless-N, inexpensive, come pre-installed with DD-WRT.
    edited August 2011
    Because Atheros radios are mediocre for WAPs, and that's what Buffalo uses on all of its .11n routers.
    edited August 2011
    Interesting. The current router I'm running (Netgear WNR2000 v3) is running an Atheros radio and it's rock solid.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I run an Atheros 3x3 802.11n card in my Linux router with no problems. I'm planning on including it in my next-generation LAN server.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Atheros has good radios, and Atheros has bad radios. Same with Broadcom.

Cheap consumer WAPs? Are cheap. It's all about "where can we save $0.005 per unit" engineering. Pointing out that consumer WAPs have issues is kind of like pointing out that water is wet and fire is hot. You're dealing with lowest cost regardless of what it does to the product, not "we want to build something awesome."

Every AP is susceptible to poor engineering and poor programming. In the pursuit of lower costs, guess how much time is spent ensuring these don't occur in your average AP that costs $200 or less? (Here's a hint: it's between 'little' and 'none.') Try replacing the antennas on a 'problematic' Atheros; suddenly the problems go away. Same with Broadcom. Most of the high end (Enterprise) WAPs are Atheros based, for the record - just using parts like the AR9390 (3-stream A/B/G/N w/SST) instead of the junk that gets used in consumer stuff like the Broadcom BCM4306.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Any new news here?
    edited October 2011
    So far no news on the RT-N66U. It's supposed to ship this month, though, and I think it's a product worth waiting for.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I see no D-link routers on your list. Is this because you can't flash them with DD-WRT or they run Atheros? Only reason I ask is I have been running 2 D-Link DIR-655s in my home for several years and I absolutely love them. One is used as a router and one has DCHP turned off and used as a switch/AP. I'm no longer well versed in most things networking anymore so I'm just curious as to everyone's opinion on D-Link.
    edited October 2011
    No custom firmware = no buy.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Gotcha.
    edited October 2011
    edited October 2011
    It's actually 256MB. Their original press material said 1Gb (gigabit), and people who don't know the difference between GB and Gb ran with it.
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    It's actually 256MB. Their original press material said 1Gb (gigabit), and people who don't know the difference between GB and Gb ran with it.
    HAHAHAHA.... oops
    edited November 2011
    As of today I still don't see the Asus listed on any retailer sites anywhere on the planet. :(
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2011
    Yeah it does not exist. Its Keyzer Soze.
    edited November 2011
    Keyser Sâze you say? Someone get Kevin Spacey in here, we have some questions for him
    edited November 2011
    This is nuts... I really want a new router :(
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Linksys E3000 has a Tomato port. Want to be the guinea pig?
    edited November 2011
    If I went with Linksys, I would go with E4200, Asus RT-N56 or 16 (like the external antenna) but boo for not having 5GHz suppport.