I'm looking for an 802.11n router, here's my research

13»

Comments

• ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    The RT-AC66U is for sale here for $190. I haven't seen it on Newegg or Amazon. Very tempted to pick one up, but I haven't seen any mini pci 802.11ac cards for laptops.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/871035-REG/ASUS_RT_AC66U_AC1750_Dual_Band_Wireless_N_Gigabit.html

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Asus will allegedly have those cards very soon.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    We have had several days of hardcore load testing with the ASUS RT-AC66U here at IC Oktoberfest 2012. Dozens of simultaneous connections while gaming with low pings. Absolutely stable and no dropouts or lag at all. Several people have asked what Wi-fi AP we have.

I heartily recommend it. It's a winner for us. Amazon for $199.99
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    For some reason I got the 802.11n version of the Asus router and it's been rock solid for me. Haven't had a lot of concurrent connections to it but I have streamed a lot of 1080p media completely wirelessly (wifi usb on pc and internal wifi on htpc) without a single problem. Haven't even thought about putting DD-WRT on it since I don't think I need to.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    @primesuspect - how far does the wireless reach in the house? Our poor little router is not covering even 1000 square feet, and Christmas is coming :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I ended up buying the RT-N66U. Glad I waited. It's a fucking monster. Five bars over 1000 square feet, five bars in the condo hallway, dual 450Mbit networks (5GHz and 2.4GHz), and amazing firmware.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    What's the difference between that and the AC66U? I am apparently spec stupid right now.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    The whole house. I can get the signal outside, across the street. The day I drove down the block and around the corner and I was STILL connected to the damned thing.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Annes said:

What's the difference between that and the AC66U? I am apparently spec stupid right now.

802.11AC support (newest wireless standard)