The Windows 8 Thread

124»

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Desktop? Probably not. I would definitely consider a touch-screen laptop for W8 use, though.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Desktop? Probably not. I would definitely consider a touch-screen laptop for W8 use, though.

Well... Using Windows 8 may be put off by some who have an old slate(non-touch screen) tablet or old computer, if they do not try installing Windows 8 on it with a USB keyboard and a USB mouse plugged in. The preview will then install base support for both and try to tune some to both.

Citation? Look up in this thread, read or reread the frankentablet article on Extremetech. It reminds folks to do that before they install Windows 8(step order). They are using a slate as base tablet and not modding it to have a touch screen. Because what they did succeeded with slates, Preview will work on non-touch-screen systems that have USB 2.0 and/or 3.0 support and meet other requirements.

John.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Considering the strengths of Metro UI, who here would consider paying the premium for a touch sensitive desktop monitor to fully leverage it? Perhaps Microsoft is banking that people will go that route come time for windows 8?

Never. The mouse is more accurate, quicker to operate, and ergonomically safer.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Never. The mouse is more accurate, quicker to operate, and ergonomically safer.

Newer optical (Laser is best for accuracy, LED second best) mice are. Ones built in the last 5 years for USB 2.0 or 3.0 will scream in speed and require tiny movement of hand to move (ergonomicla in itslef). Some folks with older-tech mice think they are real slow and inaccurate. The older-tech mice are hyper-cheap, the newer tech ones more to much more expensive.