IC:MC 1.8 and Beyond

2»

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Hehe no problem, it had been bugging me and I had yet to come across the info any place else
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Guys, 1.8 is live on the IC server now! XDDDDDDD
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited October 2011
    I wish to hear Mr Digi's lan so I may ridicule and or scheme as to my future in the MC sever... yes I do plan on playing.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Yes. Can the plan be made known now?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I like keeping you guys on your toes :rarr: plus there are so many changes coming so fast that this entire plan may change in the next month before release.

Before release: we will continue on the current world, updating Bukkit when possible.

After release, still working on some details but here is the general plan:

New Map at Release: Will not be random, We will find a seed that puts us in a cool location near some desirable natural & NPC features. Everything will be 100% "legit" meaning no "give"s will be done. The only exception to this is the arc explained below.

Arc: We will build and Arc type structure (storage building? Temple?) that we will each have 2 large chests that we can fill as desired that will then be moved to the new world when possible.

When possible (read as "when mods/resources allow"):
    No PvP (This will start as a rule and be set when possible)
    Locking Chests
    Portal back to old world (read only)
    All hostile mobs burn in the sun
    Anyone can join, Build list for builders

I would like to keep the server more community project centered. Most of the area around and including spawn will be gridded off for projects. Explorers and solo builders will adventure outside these bounds to build.

I need two people to step up:

Arc Supervisor: coordinate the building of the arc structure described above. Guys with weekly gaming groups, I'm looking in your direction.

Old map host: host old map in read only mode. When possible, Work with Ardi and I to connect the old world and new world.

Come at me bros! What do you think?

-Digi
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Are we going to look through some seeds and see what people like then?
    edited October 2011
    cola wrote:
    Are we going to look through some seeds and see what people like then?

I encourage everyone to try out different seeds, even if you just run around for 5 minutes checking something out. The algorithm that generates the maps changes with almost every update. You get a different world with the same seed when that happens. Also what we consider a perfect spawn may change by then. We will have to start the world a few days after release as I will be at Minecon anyways. I'm sure in those couple of days a seed will be located (by whoever) that is what we require at the time.

TLDR; Seed selection will have to come after release

-Digi
  • GorzoGorzo Columbus, OH
    edited October 2011
    I have two comments/concerns coming up with your plan you mentioned on the 5th, bobby.

1) no pvp. at all? I disagree with this. I can see a no undesired pvp rule (don't hit people who don't want you hitting them) but no pvp at all is going to be a fun-limiter. There's a ton of non-malicious pvp, everywhere from a playful punch, whacking a friend to push him off the block you're trying to dig, an impromptu archery battle for laughs, and even building arenas to hold special events. And let's not forget all the fun potions to play with in 1.9 coming up. If we install a plugin to stop pvp, we remove all possibilities for any of this, when we can just as easily say "rule: don't hit/kill players that don't want to be hit. Attacking as such is considered griefing and will be treated as such for punishment."

2) Read-only previous (aka current) world. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would mean this world will no longer be able to be altered, correct? Three concerns with that.
    One - Chests. If they can no longer be accessed, all our stuff is gone except what we arc'd. If they can still be accessed, arc chests are pointless as we can go back and grab whatever and come back.
    Two - Using stuff. In read-only, can one still place/use minecarts? remove them when done? Use buttons/levers/machinery? in other words, is all our stuff broken in read only?
    Three - I've been working my ass off (along with other members zan) to build an arcade land full of games for everyone to enjoy. Basically, once a new world is made, no one is gonna come back to use it. Any chance of it getting moved to the new world, especially if the read-only makes parts of the arcade no longer work? I'd be happy to destroy all the chests around it before hand to comply with the arc-chest rule. I just don't all this effort of making stuff for the whole community to enjoy to go to waste, especially when it's taken quite a bit of effort to put together so far and is nowhere near completion.
    edited October 2011
    Thank you for your thoughts Gorzo. They will definitely be taken into consideration.

Keep in mind...
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    ...there are so many changes coming so fast that this entire plan may change in the next month before release.

-Digi
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited October 2011
    Alirght I have thought about this quite a bit, and would like to share some thoughts.

First off for those that do not know it, 1.9 alpha 3 is a MASSIVE improvement to all biomes and world generation. There are these strange things called 'rivers' that occur, as well as immense chasms that cause most explorers to die instantly. I greatly look forward to building castles in the mountains. As such, I do not have anything that I would call only mine (<-PUNTASTIC) that I wish to be moved.

Secondly I agree with gorzo that no pvp at all is not such a cool idea. Currently we dont have any plugins that deal with PVP, and although i'm not a moderator, i'm on the server more often than most and I've never heard of a problem with it. Occasionally you just have to push your friends off cliffs, its not like you wont collect their stuff and give it back to them. (why fix PVP when its not broken?)

Finally, I know that there is are at least 2 worlds fixed to the new 1.9 maps, the Nether and The Ender.
    The nether you are all familiar enough with, but the Ender is something quite new. My idea is to edit specific sections of our current map that are worthy of 'historical preservation' into the nether, and appropriately preserve them.
    I don't believe endermen or dragons spawn where there is lighting, so a lit enclosure surrounded by glass should work for placing structures from the current map into the new one. I like this solution because it does not involve the odd coding of linking two worlds together, and the subsequent breaks that will occur as both minecraft and bukkit are updated. If it exists in the ender, it should persist throughout the updates and not have to be as much of a hassle to deal with.
    So far the only thing I can think of as being really cool and worth preserving is Gorzo Funland, as it has a large boatrace, and a running game. Possibly another item would be a 'Louvre a la minecraft' (whatever its french) where a large building could house both pixel art from across the server as well as a few 3D pieces of art such as the malaparico creeper and the large pig in town.