Internal Blu Ray Player won't recognise any discs

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
edited September 2011 in Hardware
So the Blu Ray player that I with some giftcards I got for my birthday will not play discs of any type in my computer. It is an LG model bh12ls38. I tried all types of CDs/DVDs/Blu Rays and nothing will read in the drive. Of course I didn't even try to use the drive until 32 days past the date that I bought it so I cannot return it to the store and LG just said to ship it back to them and they'd send me a new one. Is there anything that I can try to get it to work before going that route?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Any newer firmware available? Is it installed right?
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    It is installed properly, and I have no idea if there is any newer firmware. LG's website is crap for support, they say to call the 1800 number for everything and there is no place to download any drivers or firmware or anything.
    edited September 2011
    My PC even recognizes it has the model number displayed correctly in Device Manager. I have Windows 7 64-bit version.
    edited September 2011
    Maybe you have a dud. No upgraded firmware is available, so sounds like what it ships with is fine. Maybe try moving it to another SATA port, or trying another PC.
    edited September 2011
    I tried both of those things to no avail... :-(
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    UM.

Try this:

1. go here: http://www.drivershq.com/?gclid=CJy1rtDkqqsCFQ1b7AodDl4F3w

2. Driver Detective can possiblyy help with this, so let it install-- the version you get here is for XP/Vista/Windows 7. It does its work in Windows.

3. Run it and click the big "scan now" button.

4. It will do all sorts of talking to the computer's BIOS, to Windows, to drivershq with with driver source queries, to Microsoft to see if Microsoft has given appropriate to device drivers and the devices WHQL approval, etc.

5. Let it install all it finds that is newer(click the next button when it shows you a list with some drivers perhaps listed as out of date-- if it shows more than one, it will install each individual new driver each time you press next). This will include .inf files for Windows.

6. Restart computer.

EVERYTHING worked better (faster some, more stable) after I ran it here.
    edited September 2011
    Windows uses generic drivers for optical devices. There are no new drivers to obtain that Windows update has not already provided.
    edited September 2011
    UM. I beg to differ-- if resource issues in the bus chipset driver walk on the drive's resource needs, the drive may appear to be malfing or a dud when it is perfectly good. An updated chipset driver pack install or driver reinstall for the bus might deconflict resource clashes. In this case, the BUS is SATA, so a SATA driver might have been revised. Also, some drives do not work (if they are also burners) unless Nero or the like is installed -- I like Nero because it does not purely leave Windows alone as to drivers for burning capable devices and comes bundled with a set of .sys and .inf files for what it supports(drives alone). Windows can and does only support optical drives which would be WHQL approved for the most part.

Here is one example that is somewhat relevant from amongst a legion of experiences:

LG CD R?Ws, qty two, would not work unless the software bundle that came with them was installed or a generic version of the software was installed (I have relied on Nero for almost a decade). The Nero version did not matter much, so long as it is bundled with the drive or is a newer version. Nero always installs customed by Nero AG drivers if it has them (appropriate .sys file and .inf file).

The drives were stated to be PnP, but were only loosely PnP and then for an obsolete PnP version-- Windows recognized them but ignored them as far as using them until after I installed Nero. This was before Driver Detective was mature and debugged(i t has been around for over a decade).
    edited September 2011
    Other possible fixes to try experimentally after trying a Driver Detective run:

Try a different SATA cable, to eliminate the possibility of having used the same SATA cable with possibly a broken or cracked data wire when plugging in the drive to different computers.

After the SATA cable changeout, observe the drive's light that blinks briefly twice or three times then goes out to see if it turns back on (blinking, perhaps more rapidly) while you try to browse the drive(with a Blue-Ray disk it) in Windows Explorer (Opening by double-clicking My Computer).

In Windows Explorer, (if browsing does not work)look for a drive with a higher letter than the hard drives, right click it, choose properties, see if the drive size shows Gigabytes of data (it may say 2-4 thousand MB). If so, then the problem might be a driver conflict within the optical drives area, so....

This will only apply if you have taken out an older CD burner and not disbled its driver-- here is how to check for that: Open the Start menu in the lower left hand corner of the screen/displayed desktop. In the searcher, type in Device . The second listing will usually say Device Manager. Click it once in Vista or Windows 7, in XP or 2000 double-click it. A program named (DUH! ;D) Device Manager will open. Scroll down to the optical devices (DVD\CD R?W Devices it will say in Vista and Windows 7)line and click what is next to the line name (right arrow or little box with + in it)(some versions of Device Manager will open driver type sections with a double-click-on-section-name also). Once that is open, see if you get two lines in it-- one may talk about a CD drive, if so, try disabling the CD drive driver-- here is how to do that in Device Manager for Vista and Windows 7: Click then right-click on the line that talks about a CD. On what opens, click Properties. On what then opens, click Disable Driver. Restarrt computer. If Windows opens its found new hardware thing (some techs call it a Wizard, and this is what Microsoft calls that kind of thing also), click Cancel.

NOW try your drive that did not work before-- if it works only after all of this, the CD driver and the DVD driver have a resource conflict. If your drive is DVD-only you will need to get another brand and model of CD drive-- they are being fire-saled and you can get used ones also, so they are hugely cheaper than DVD drives often.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    That device does not use any other drivers outside of the generic Windows-supplied ones. LG does not have drivers for that optical drive- nor any other optical drive- on their entire site.

From their knowledge base:
    LG drives are supported by the built in ATAPI driver that is included in Windows Operating Systems. You don't need to install another device driver.
    Never have I heard of an optical drive that required third-party software be installed in order to work. Not a single one I have installed, save an external SCSI-attached drive, ever required additional drivers.
    edited September 2011
    SATA chips are rarely totally ATAPI device supporting things, and the older(as to how far back they were new) or cheaper they are the more likely they are to be buggy in firmware. SATA bus optical drives may not be ATAPI compliant either-- the SATA chip or adapter-to-bus circuitry is made to do its primary purpose, BUSSING. You can work around minor bugs by updating within windows. If there is a conflict in resource demand (and there always are some) drivers can change the resource mapping to deconflict for the device they each support. Windows, to support more hardware, can remap on driver changeout or update or debugged .inf file change. I have had windows 7 , Vista, and XP Pro deconflict resources even after a driver update attempt.that fails This is done by code in the Windows Device Manager mostly (probably). The secret? Windows sets up its own resource map to use internally, and WDM takes care of setting cross-mapping to BIOS assignments of resources-- WDM has done this one thing since 2000's release or earlier.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Alright, so basically the drive is dead. Let's please keep this on topic.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Drive's dead. RMA if you can. Rant and rave, threaten grassroots movements, report LG to BBB, etc., until you get a replacement.
    edited September 2011
    Out of curiosity, Joe, did you try out another optical drive with the same cable and SATA port? If so, what were the results?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, I think we're done here.
This discussion has been closed.