sound is dead

edited September 2011 in Hardware
so, i got an old computer off a friend, had the hard drive wipped, and now the sound does NOT work. its a Compaq Presario 6000.... i am NOT computer savvy so please explain in layman terms what i should do... or where to go... i'd appericate any and all advice

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    You probably need to install the sound driver. That means you need to go to hp.com and go to their support / downloads page for your model laptop, look for something that says sound driver .. download and install it.

Good luck!
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Simply put, you lost your sound driver (and lots of other driver stuff)when the drive was wiped. Get driver detective and run it.

Below is a direct link to download/get driver detective:

http://www.drivershq.com/lp/driverdetective.html?gclid=CKr0qYLns6sCFREj7Aod1BJ1dQ

Pirateninja's posted way will also work for the sound driver only, but he tried perhaps to summarize too much for a non-computer-savvy person.

John.
  • edited September 2011
    Simply put, you lost your sound driver (and lots of other driver stuff)when the drive was wiped. Get driver detective and run it.

Below is a direct link to download/get driver detective:

http://www.drivershq.com/lp/driverdetective.html?gclid=CKr0qYLns6sCFREj7Aod1BJ1dQ

Pirateninja's posted way will also work for the sound driver only, but he tried perhaps to summarize too much for a non-computer-savvy person.

John.

Thanks, so this driver detective is safe then? I have to make sure b/c well, last thing i need is another 500 viruses. lol
    edited September 2011
    If you don't want to install unnecessary applications you can go here:
    http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

It can detect your model or you can type the model number in, and it will direct you to the correct sound driver.
  • edited September 2011
    If you don't want to install unnecessary applications you can go here:
    http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

It can detect your model or you can type the model number in, and it will direct you to the correct sound driver.

this would work, but i only know its a presairo 6000 idk about the other stuff they're asking for... there are five and idk which is the right one for this old hunk of computer junk lol
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    All the information you need will be in a barcoded sticker somewhere on your PC. It will contain your exact PC model number.
    edited September 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    All the information you need will be in a barcoded sticker somewhere on your PC. It will contain your exact PC model number.

True-- But the sticker can be under laptop battery, or not easily findable. And getting that specific finding info is complex to explain to a noobie.

John.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    It's rarely under a battery. Either way, I'm sure the OP is very capable of using her eyeballs to find the model number.
    edited September 2011
    Mine are-- on both my laptops.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    The model number for 99% of the laptops that came through my precinct while working geeksquad were on the bottom of the laptop, labeled "Model Number" or "Product Number" and will yield the correct drivers if typed into the site originally provided by PN. OP should check out the bottom of the laptop and all will be well.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    In my 9000 years of IT, I have not seen a single laptop with the model number underneath the battery.
    edited September 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    In my 9000 years of IT, I have not seen a single laptop with the model number underneath the battery.

To excerpt from HP's tech support area, about the Presario laptops:

"...since 2000 the model number sticker has been on the bottom of the case or under the battery."
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    To excerpt from HP's tech support area, about the Presario laptops:

"...since 2000 the model number sticker has been on the bottom of the case or under the battery."

That is where I've seen every one that I have ever looked at ever, but I really don't want to get in the "who's been doing IT longer swinging dick" argument.
    edited September 2011
    Some laptops have them under batteries, some don't. I think that was clear enough five days ago when this problem was solved as much as it could have been.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, this whole "I must be right on the internet" thing scares normal people away. Thread closed.
This discussion has been closed.