Constant modem disconnection.

TemplarTemplar You first.
edited February 2004 in Science & Tech
A relative of mine has AOL Dialup and they're getting disconnected every few minutes. This has been going on for nearly a month, and they've tried changing access numbers.

As far as I know, it's just a regular 56K modem and PC. They live over in the rural part of our county, but this is a recent issue.

They ran a shareware spyware program, but haven't fixed the issues, and I'm hoping that's where it's at, but I could be wrong. I also told them to try changing access numbers once again.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Weel, could be on their end, the end where the modem banks are, the phone line, or they could have a surge damaged modem or a full IE cache as well as spyware that is a full app or adware or viruses that their AV has not been definiton or program updated to detect. Could, unfortunately, also be viruses. But constant for more than a couple weeks after removal of excess junk and also checking for security violators, would lead me to want to upgrade or replace the modem. Some modems, if you change the cord to one that is not RED\GREEN swapped at one end will malfunction, and embedded modems can be like this also.

So, did anything change outside the computer like lightning storm or modem cord change and then this was constantly happening??? If not, more likely to be software issues or a dying modem or box that is older getting way too many graphics and ads to display fast enough with AOL. Also, AOL software version that AOL supports is changing, they are going to a newer version that is more graphics intense each time they declare the old software no longer supported. They are streaming AOL 9.0 out, though last I checked AOL 8.0 was still supported.

John.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    As John mentioned, it's probably the modem banks. When demand from dialup systems exceeds a server's dialup capacity (usually due to too few modems on the modem bank), users can be bumped off frequently. I have this problem with my laptop when I travel. My organization's dialup server hardware has not kept up with the number of dialup accounts that they admin people have issued.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited February 2004
    Well, I haven't heard back from them, so I'm assuming it works (They use main line for AOL and phone). /me shrugs