[BLOG] Freelance, business is good

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Today I landed a new freelance gig. This is awesome, not because it's extra income and an expanded portfolio for me, but because I'm really excited for this project, and have been passionate about the client for some time now.

I'll soon begin development for a local hair salon called 'Cutting Loose'. The owner, Steve, has been cutting my hair since I was 5 years old. I've seen his business grow, stall, fail, restart, abort, start new from scratch, and finally grow to a successful business with a solid client base and with approximately 10 stylists working alongside him. It's been fun to watch he and his endeavors over the years. He's offered his service to me for almost 20 years, now it's my turn to repay the favor. Now I have an opportunity to help his business' growth.

In the past my web gigs have been fun (despite the obligatory struggles) but I've never related too closely with the product or service, and I've lacked the closeness with the client to be truly passionate and enthusiastic about the gigs.

Peg and the MLS work is an exception, but it's quite the unique and on-going gig, and I enjoy that work.

The one reason why I'm really excited to start work for Cutting Loose is that Steve understands who I am and what I do as a developer. He's willing to let me do my own thing because he knows that I make websites and he cuts hair.

We talked project scope and what kind of creative feel the site will have and we came up with great ideas. And now... he's leaving me alone to do the work. As mentioned in the above linked blog post, this will be VERY refreshing. I've dealt with quite a few clients who don't understand what it takes to build a website and become indignant when the process doesn't meet their artificial goals.

Steve and I are working on dates for a photo shoot with all of his stylists and the surrounding environment. This project should push me creatively and syntactically.

And I can't wait.

Comments