The "Everything is Different" Vanilla feature and bug discussion

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    @primesuspect : Can you talk to @Lincoln about the front page??? It looks like a jumble right now..... The Avatars assigned by Vanilla are about 2x bigger than the chosen ones.

A note that the articles are below the white area would be nice, as would a little explanation for new visitors that the front page (home page) is under construction.

The text in the article summaries, which show up as black on black here, are useless with a black background.

I am using Firefox 11.0.1 here, long aquaintance with it has made me loyal to it. Normal default theme, which is what new folks to Icrontic will get and what my nearsightedness likes best.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Erm... I suddenly can't find the preferences link. Has it gone missing or am I just missing it?
    Profile -> "Edit Profile" button on right side.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Hurf blurf... forgot theme setting was under "notification preferences"
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    @primesuspect : Can you talk to @Lincoln about the front page??? It looks like a jumble right now..... The Avatars assigned by Vanilla are about 2x bigger than the chosen ones.

A note that the articles are below the white area would be nice, as would a little explanation for new visitors that the front page (home page) is under construction.

The text in the article summaries, which show up as black on black here, are useless with a black background.

I am using Firefox 11.0.1 here, long aquaintance with it has made me loyal to it. Normal default theme, which is what new folks to Icrontic will get and what my nearsightedness likes best.
    Refresh your browser. Several times if you must. Everything you described is a caching issue on your end.

Fixed again with one refresh, thanks Thrax. Will have to dig into Firefox's configuration and see if there is a way to get to auto-refresh during a session and post to the devs something about an auto-refresh wanted for the Firefox browser if not....
    It's not an "auto-refresh" issue. It's a matter of your browser loading the local cache, and that differing from and/or interfering with the content of the delivered page. This is the same behavior of every browser: the cache trumps the page.

Maybe one day there will be a solution for a website to force a cache clear if contents differ from what is local to the user, but for now, every one on every browser has to do what you did.
    edited April 2012
    On sites with changes, Firefox now loads the changes on site entry. However, for the duration of a site session, it uses local cache unless forced with a refresh. The front page was static until refreshed, Vanilla did update notifies of new posts when I went back to All Discussions, and Firefox auto-updated that page or PHP code causes an auto-refresh. Firefox recognizes the PHP signal of new content now.
    I can assure you that no browser dynamically compares the site against your local cache and performs an update if there are differences. Firefox included.

Some browsers provide some sort of "active page" functionality that actively does this, but it is not the default behavior.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I feel like the clear cache recommendation should be an announcement similar to the "we're playing TF2 tonight" things at the top of main page
    To be compatible with WordPress, Firefox now is compatible with the underlying code (PHP)and defaults to more aggressive behavior when PHP is used to signal new content. I do not know how this is done, but suspect that PHP.ini in Wordpress can cause a refresh of site's part of cache either via a call to a WordPress module that does that or via a direct inclusion of code in a customized WordPress install.

Problem is, I do not not know which at all due to lack of knowledge of PHP.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Hurf blurf
    Why did I laugh at Hurf Blurf?

Why am I STILL laughing at it?
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I really like the recent updates, Keebs. Everything looks a helluva lot more streamlined. Inspired by spring cleaning season? :D
    Link to subscriber page is dead (I believe that is known and due to re-org) but an interesting bug:

Trying to get around the subscriber page:

Original link
    http://icrontic.com/forum/payments.php
    My guess link:
    http://icrontic.com/discussions/payments.php

Results in loading the All Discussions page. Not sure if problem
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    http://icrontic.com/discussions/payments.php

Results in loading the All Discussions page. Not sure if problem
    Seems a feature:

http://icrontic.com/discussions/anythingherethatisnotarealpage.php

results in the All Discussions page also

-Digi
    Indeed
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Also a feature, trying to visit the http://icrontic.com/category/staff staff page link off the "Media Kit" link at the bottom results in a 404.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Hurf blurf
    Why did I laugh at Hurf Blurf?

Why am I STILL laughing at it?
    Likely the same reason you laughed at me saying Hoop and Troll Pole as Trundle and that pony stream when you laughed at hurr durr burr.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    On the dark theme, there is no differentiation on the page numbers to show which page you are currently on. I think this was fixed at some point (and I know I had fixed it on my ridiculous custom theme), but it's back.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Not new, was never fixed, recently mentioned. :p
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    on the mobile site, clicking on the text of a thread name takes you to the thread, but if you click on the space next to the name of the thread it takes you to a 404 (or whatever icrontic's version is called)
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    The front page is really messed up. There is a big white square underneath the tiny "icrontic" at the top, some of the users shown online have huge avatars while others are normal. The text is unreadable for the articles unless highlighted....

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    ctrl + f5?
    edited April 2012
    It's a freshly loaded page. Also, articles that are clicked on load up fine but then get the black unreadable background shortly after.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    You may need to ctrl+f5 a few times to flush the cache. You've got a caching problem.
    Flush the cache? It's not a toilet...but it worked...
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Why does the text seem to get smaller and smaller as the days go by? ;D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    @Ryder The text is actually smaller now than I mean it to be. It was an oversight during the theme remake. It'll get bigger again.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Why does the text seem to get smaller and smaller as the days go by? ;D
    ctrl-mouse wheel, but I know you already knew that

some of us like small text
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Not sure if this is intended, but I just noticed there's an "all discussions" listing on the home page if you're not signed in. When you're signed in it's not available.

imageimage
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Really? I have it on my screen signed in. Possible supporter/member error?