Forsaken, A.K.A. "Project X"

BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Hardware
http://fly.thruhere.net/

Forsaken. A late-90's game made in the same spirit as Descent.
Anyone here who might have played this back in the day?

This baby was created by the (now gone) Probe Games division of the (thankfully gone) old Acclaim games publisher (name was bought out a few years back, now they do free to play games). In the same vein as Descent, it's a game that involves full 360 degree movement and shooting.

I sunk soooo many hours into the N64 version of this (which was co-produced by Iguana UK). I won't lie, the game has a bit lot of a learning curve. The controls DEFINITELY take some getting used to. I'm so glad I have a 5-button mouse, it's perfect for this game (I use them for going straight up or straight down without turning). But if you can get a bunch of folks together, this game has a multiplayer experience that has to be -experienced- to be believed.

Wikipedia entry for the game is here.

Got some videos for you guys here~

Some of the really hectic (and FUN, speaking from experience) multiplayer action.

The CG opening cinematic for the PC version that gives you story that you don't really care about, but I'll throw it here anyway.

The opening Title sequence and idle cinematic movie for the N64 version (the one I lost countless hours with way back in the day).

Funny thing about all of this- completely free. I'm not 100% certain on the licensing for this, but considering none of the companies who made this exist anymore, and nobody has stepped forth to claim the rights, the game itself is free to download and play on the website I've linked.

Honestly, I would LOVE to get a bunch of Icrontians together to play this. At least 4 people with voice chat over Skype (or vent, if we must). Plus, this game is old enough that most everyone here can play it, and I haven't run into any compatibility problems (I just dropped it on my desktop without having to mess with anything, and I'm on Windows 64-bit), and they have clients for PC, Mac, or Linux.

Anyone interested in giving this a go?

Comments

• I love this game, I own it for the original Playstation.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    I have the N64 version and was good enough to beat it at one point.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I remember playing forsaken with my buddies back when we had to use the standard modem to do it.

Am I remembering right that this was the game they used to promote that Orb 360 controller when it came out?
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    I remember playing forsaken with my buddies back when we had to use the standard modem to do it.

Am I remembering right that this was the game they used to promote that Orb 360 controller when it came out?
    I wouldn't know, but apparently they actually used this as a graphics card benchmarking tool for a while.

And there's no reason why you couldn't relive those days. I would seriously love to get a bunch of folks together to have a game. Apparently the PC version supports up to 12 players.

I remember how crazy this game gets with only 4.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I'm not interested in reliving the days of "Shit! MOM! I told you not to pick up the PHONE!!!"
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    I'm not interested in reliving the days of "Shit! MOM! I told you not to pick up the PHONE!!!"
    You know what I meant, mister!

The game and only the game.