Your gaming legacy - share your favorites from growing up

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Gaming
These threads pop up on 4Chan frequently, so I thought it might be fun to do one here.

Download the attached blank image and add in your gaming legacy. How old are you, and what games have inspired you throughout your life? Here's mine:

A few notables: Q*Bert was the first NES game I ever played (yes, even before Super Mario Bros). Adolescence defining game HAD to be Half-Life and its various mods, but the other two games that are deserving of notoriety during that time of my life was Civilization II and Command and Conquer: Red Alert and its expansions. Both games saw hundreds and hundreds of play hours from me.

I list TF2 as my current favorite, but really, it could be Half-Life 2 and any of its related titles or mods. League of Legends is a notable current favorite, but still not at the caliber of HL2.
Cliff_Forster

Comments

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited January 2012

Yes its true the first game I've ever played (Or remember I suppose) was the first Pajama Sam game, I loved that so much as a kid even if, at 3 I don't think I was able to play the game (well) but I had a blast playing it. Matter of fact I replayed it recently for shits and giggles, still about as entertaining as when I was little even if I can play through the whole thing in ten minutes.

Age of Empires 2 was really what started me on video games, and history to some extent I loved every minute of it and I still find myself playing it on occasion for nostalgia.

Thief 2 The Metal Age, is perhaps one of the greatest games I've ever played and its impact on me was massive, it made me appreciate older games and I can easily say is entirely responsible for the large variety of games I own today. Furthermore its the only game I play on a regular basis almost 12 years after I first got it the Thief series is the only game that ever imo did stealth properly and I doubt anyone will ever make a stealth game of this quality again.

The last one was incredibly hard to do I've never found it easy to name a 'favourite' game in the end I went with League of Legends simply because it's the game I've lost the greatest amount of time to in the past years. That and the ability to play it with friends is amazing.

• UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    For the life of me I can't figure out how to upload an image. Help?
    For the life of me I can't figure out how to upload an image. Help?
    Upload the image via imgur straight from your computer.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    host on imgur, dropbox, minus, etc. insert image links
    Thanks guys.

I can still remember the day that kid rang our door bell asking if anyone wanted to buy his Sega Genesis and games. Greatest thing ever.

As for my childhood game, that would be Ocarina of Time without question. Beat it close to 10 times.

I spent my last two year in grade school and all of high school playing TF2. It's that awesome of a game.

It was hard to choose just one current favorite. I've been playing four games regularly lately. Fifa 12, Dungeon Defenders, TF2, and Hidden: Source. All great games.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    'favourite'?! Seriously!?
    'favourite'?! Seriously!?
    HAHA English spelling FTW
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    I think my family got an NES in 1988. I still have it.
    I am pretty sure I have more hours playing FF3 and its ports than any other game I've ever played.
    I played Xenogears to completion in a single 48-hour gaming session.
    I don't really have a favorite game anymore, at least not anything modern. I played Neptunia recently though and found it hilarious. I haven't laughed as much in any other game.
    It makes me feel old that my adolescence-defining game and you childhood-defining game are the same, @drasnor
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I wish I could say I currently have a favorite game, but I'm in this general state of malaise where nothing is truly catching my attention.

Other contenders for this image included Goldeneye 007, Super Mario 3, Pokemon Red and Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

I spent my last two year in grade school and all of high school playing TF2. It's that awesome of a game.
    Fuck. My. Life.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    imageMuch like Thrax (maybe it's our age?), I currently find myself bouncing around aimlessly between games. I'm unable to really keep my attention on one game for more than a few weeks, if that. I'm going to assume this has something to do with my inability to get as emotionally invested in whatever that game may be, due to life getting in the way.

Fourth and Inches was played very thoroughly on the Commodore 64 my dad had, as well as a few others like SpyHunter, some game about being a spy and invading Russian warehouses for info, and Elmo's Bathtime (that's right).

Sega Genesis was the first console I owned. I played the everloving crap out of Sonic the Hedgehog, Aladdin, The Lion King, 7Up Cool Spot's Adventure, and a few others. Up Down Left Right A B Start was the first code I ever memorized (level select in Sonic) and the only code I'll never forget.

Half Life was the first game that really dove into the idea of a narrative based gameplay objective. I was hooked - it was like playing in my own movie. From there, I stumbled across multiplay games, namely Day of Defeat, which used the same engine. I played that game every night for most of high school, and was the first shooter that I got competitively good at. Honorable mention here goes to my Sony Playstation, which saw a lot of playtime. I was lucky enough to have a friend buy a chipped one for me during a trip to the Phillipines, so games came frequently, cheap, and by the caseload once he made his monthly trips.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian

Green Hill Zone theme is burned forever into my memory. Sonic 4lyf, mario got nuthin.

Spent so many hours in Tiberium Dawn, Red Alert and the expansions but Pokemon Red/Yellow and Crash Team Racing were also close contenders

Deus Ex was just, Deus Ex. The best game I'd played at that point and really got me interested in gaming beyond just the usual Medal Of Honour/Call of Duty stuff. Also played a ton of battlefront, still love that game.

Current favourite is Fallout NV, just so much content with the DLC and mods (including one that lets you travel back to the capital wasteland and play Fallout 3).

P.S. I spell my 'favourite' with a 'u' and play my Sonic on a Mega Drive. The right way.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    1984/digger/duke3d/diablo2/sc2
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Nothing about Canti's post is not awesome.
    SOB, I totally forgot about the Pokemon Red/Blue (THERE WILL ALWAYS ONLY BE 150!) and Command and Conquer...

My love for the way Command and Conquer works is why I can't really get into the StarCraft universe - I'm used to a slower, more pre-planning strategy than what SCII calls for.
    7Up Cool Spot's Adventure
    This may very well have been the first game I ever rented from Hollywood Video. That game was the shiz.

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I totally forgot about the Pokemon Red/Blue (THERE WILL ALWAYS ONLY BE 150!)
    But there are 151 in Red/Blue...

Great idea for a thread, Lynx.

My parents tell me stories of being a three year old playing SMB or Duck Hunt, I hardly remember them. I remember the game just fine as I've revisited it plenty over the years, but the initial experience is lost to my memory.

I recall many waking hours in elementary school where I would wake up at 5am and sneak downstairs to play Faxanadu or Blaster Master. My dad used to get pissed because Faxanadu was his game and I would keep advancing his save points which would totally mess him up. Blaster Master you were a car! Or maybe a frog! Or sometimes a soldier resembling Hello Kitty! The combo of platforming and shooter with the massive worlds is what pulled me in for years.

Escape Velocity was originally on our Mac, but it was the first game to really introduce the concept of modding, and learning how to do it. By the time I kicked the habit, I had modded out an entire galaxy complete with custom skinning, races, missions, and epic story lines that ended up with you controlling a faction. It was 8th grade or so. I had no business doing any of that at such a young age, but for some reason EV took off like mad in our school. I had a couple other kids from school that would pass things back and forth over a simple message board. It was the beginning of the internet as well.

I would be remiss to mention the hundreds of hours spent punching, kicking, and fireballing my friends in SFA2. It was way more mainstream, but I can't think of any other game in my adolescent years that got more play time.

Great thread btw.
    edited January 2012
    Blaster Master is an amazing game. I loved it so much.

Faxanadu didn't have saves. It used a convoluted, horrible password system. Confused :D Also, welcome to Icrontic!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Whoa Canti, I didn't realize this was a desktop thread.

Great thread so far :D

So regarding "favourite", totally ripped the image from 4Chan, so blame those crazy Europeans.

@tiberiuslazarus - I totally forgot about Dizzy. Oh man, I used to rent that piece over and over again. Sweet game.

@drasnor - how did Xenogears age? I've never played it, but would really like to. I heard about it near the end of the PS1's life, and that game was nearly impossible to find at any regular store, or at a reasonable price online.

@thrax - I find myself in a similar situation where it's hard for me to peg a favorite game at the moment. I like a lot of games, but none in particular say "YES! I AM YOUR FAVORITE!" It's one of the reasons why after all these years, TF2 still sits at the top. I dunno, weird.

It's really interesting to see what platforms define a person based on their generation. I knew we'd get youngsters posting and older members feeling, well, old... but it's cool to see some titles defying generation, and interesting to see when certain platforms mattered to different people.

So I'm an idiot and left out the Sonic the Hedgehog series, which is really embarrassing because I'm a HUGE Sonic fan. I didn't own many games for my Genesis, but I had the Sonic series and Street Fighter II (All you need, really). MegaMan X still needs to be on there, so I've amended my image to represent this:

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Ehh, why not?

edited January 2012
    I put in Age of Empires instead of Ocarina of Time on the basis that it basically started my route towards becoming a history teacher, from a defining standpoint the argument exists that Age of Empires influenced me on a far greater scale than that of Ocarina of Time however I played the shit out of OoT so I guess it deserves to be up there as well.

Also LOL youngster I'm not that young damn it! I'm an adult just like you and I expect to be treated as such, so there. XD