Shareaza settings?

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited February 2004 in Science & Tech
I use Shareaza, and the only major complaint I have about it is the way it uses bandwidth. It's way too slow on downloads, and it's upload speed is too high- if I leave it on, it's almost impossible to use the internet on any computer on the network.

I've set the upload bandwidth to 4KB/s, and it's still using like 8. I also can't get it to start downloading more than like 4 files at a time. What do I need to do to get this thing optimized for my DSL (768/128) connection?

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited February 2004
    I've had a few downloads on there for days with no movement. I've either got something set wrong or it's not much good. I've had a couple that were ok but most of the time it sits there saying 'pending'
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited February 2004
    Morpheus 4.0 came out.....it claims spyware free connection to all the networks and hashed ip's for anoynmous bible music sharing. I haven't tried it, but you could be a guinepig. :)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited February 2004
    I do not like being a guineapig. :)

How much bible music are we talking about here? ;D;D
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited February 2004
    "Search all the major file-sharing networks and connect with users of Kazaa, iMesh, eDonkey, Overnet, Grokster, Gnutella, LimeWire, G2, and others with Morpheus 4.0, the only American file-sharing software ruled legal by a U.S. federal court. Instead of searching just one network, search all major P2P networks at the same time, accessing millions of users simultaneously to greatly increase your chances of finding what you need. Morpheus 4.0 is free and offers free VoIP voice chat so you can talk to others globally at no cost. Morpheus 4.0 also provides early access to the new NEOnet technology, developed to make it easier to find content with 100 percent accuracy. The program protects your privacy with integrated access to public proxy networks; has options to prevent others from snooping on you; autoscans files for viruses with your antivirus software; enables multiple simultaneous searches for all media file types; returns fast multisource downloads; and contains no spyware. "---From CNET's download.com

http://download.com.com/redir?pid=10260725&merid=77494&mfgid=77494&edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-2166-10260725&ontId=2166&ltype=dl_dlnow&lop=link&dlrs=1&destUrl=%2F3001-2166-10260725.html
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    hmmmm....methinks it is too good! I've got the same issues with Shareaza. Lots of stuff...not lots of download speed. I've gotten everything I've tried for, but sometimes it does take a while.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited February 2004
    I'll try out Morpheus once I replace my headphones. Today one of the earpieces stopped working. There goes my 50 bucks headphones, had worked wonderfully for about 10 months. :banghead:
    edited February 2004
    Should be under warranty. Who made them?
    edited February 2004
    Got Morpheus and I'm running it. It seems faster than Shareaza. It got one file in seconds but the others are taking their time.
    edited February 2004
    bothered,
    any spyware, adware, or any other problems?
  • edited February 2004
    I can tell you it wants to add "My Search Bar" which is spyware.
    I just cancelled the install based on that alone, that search bar is an insideous piece of trash and harder than hell to remove.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    bothered wrote:
    Got Morpheus and I'm running it. It seems faster than Shareaza. It got one file in seconds but the others are taking their time.
    The others might be from the eDonkey2000 network so you'll have to wait in queue for those untill you start uploading more and then you rise in the queue.
    edited February 2004
    Preacher wrote:
    Should be under warranty. Who made them?

I doubt it. They're KOSS headphones, a brand you can buy everywhere here in New York City. I don't even remember where I bought them.

EDIT: Just checked on KOSS' website...they have a lifetime warranty! I have to send 6 bucks for S&H, but that's alot better than buying new headphones of this type.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited February 2004
    I've been using shareaza also and though it's a good prog the downloads are to slow if they even move at all. Start a download and there's no garantee that it will actually start. The file is just added to the download list. VOE you might be right about that que thing. Many unfinished downloads are uploaded from me but non of them seeem to be downloading. It's really irretating to watch the bandwith show 0.7 kb/s in and 40 kb/s out!! One thing's for sure. If you want pics, use k-lite. It still works and are alot faster on it than the others. I don't want spyware otherwise i would give morpheus a shot.
    edited February 2004
    K-lite is still the best for me. Though I'm kinda a little afraid of getting sued, the music I search for is obscure at best (J-pop, game soundtracks, etc) and hopefully I won't attract the scorn of someone. Also I don't have to worry about downloading crapped out tracks. I wonder how well that IP blocker thing works.
    edited February 2004
    A good reason not to use morpheus. A quote from download.com about morpheus.
    Editor's note: This download includes additional applications bundled with the software's installer file. Third-party applications bundled with this download may record your surfing habits, deliver advertising, collect private information, or modify your system settings. Pay close attention to the end-user license agreement and installation options. For more information, read Download.com's guide to adware.
    edited February 2004
    I ran spybot, cleaned up everything, installed morpheus, and then ran it again. It only found like 3 things. Told it to get rid of them, and I haven't had any problems. Morpheus still works.
    edited February 2004
    I did the same. I also followed these instructions from the Morpheus FAQs.

Morpheus does not contain spyware and takes dedicated measures to ensure your privacy. Morpheus does not store or monitor the communications between users. All software distributed with Morpheus adheres to the following guidelines:

• Does not spawn pop-up advertisements

• Does not collect personally identifiable information

• Can easily and completely remove the software through the standard Windows Add/Remove Programs dialogue

MyWay search bar is a free application that allows you to search Google and 4other search engines from the same interface. The toolbar has no banners and no pop-ups and is customizable. If you wish to remove this application, go to the standard Windows Add/Remove Programs dialogue and remove the “My Search Bar” program.

The My Way search assistant also allows you to search Google and 4 other search engines from the same interface but is only initiated when you type a search term directly into the Internet Explorer web browser. To remove this application go to the standard Windows Add/Remove Programs dialogue and remove the “Search Assistant – My Way” program.

With WebSavings from Ebates you earn cash back on many of your Internet purchases. You will be notified via a pop window when you have earned $5 or more at which time you can sign up to have your check sent. Or, you can sign up through the “shop” tab at Morpheus. If you wish to remove this application, go to the standard Windows Add/Remove Programs dialogue and remove the “WebSavings from Ebates” program.

BroadcastPC delivers the latest DVD-quality movies, TV trailers, and other rich to your computer. Before launching the video BroadcastPC will alert you and you will have the option to cancel if you do not want to see it. If you wish to remove this application, go to the standard Windows Add/Remove Programs dialogue and remove the BroadcastPC program.

I took it all out and Morpheus still works ok.
    edited February 2004
    Nice to know. Well you can't have too many p2p apps. I'll give it a try then.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I use Azureus (BT) and Suprnova now. Fast and alot of stuff to download. Too lazy to search 10mins just for 1 song when you can get a whole album...of something that you already own duh! :crazy:. Plus all the bogus files names.
    edited February 2004
    :respect:VOE,
    you are a GOD of BT. I've been using the Experimental Client for a while with initially good results, but lately connection and speeds have been degrading. I saw the Azureus Client you mentioned and downloaded it. WOW! What an amazing difference in not only features and usability, but most importantly speed. Torrents are now downloading like lightning. Thanks!:respect:

Have a frosty one on me... :beer:

Edit: I should have read Geeky1's first post more closely. Starting Shareaza (even with NOTHING downloading) caused my BT downloads in Azureus to drop drasticallly. My double recommendations are to shut off Shareaza at the same time as BT downloading and to use Azureus over other BT clients.
  • edited February 2004
    I bit the bullet and installed morpheus and I have to say that it's the most asstastic piece of junk I've ever tried to use.
    First off I get not one, not two but three popups upon opening it and this is after I ran both adaware AND spybot then I try to do a dl and it gets all the way to the last 10kb and hardlocks morpheus so I have to kill it and upon restarting it does the same thing after starting at like 500kb down from where it locked.
    After 15 minutes of fighting with it to get the last 50seconds of the file I said screw it and uninstalled the screaming piece of junk.
    I am so dispirited by the demise of kazaa lite it's not even funny, at least it never coughed up furballs. :banghead:
    edited February 2004
    I haven't used it extensively, but previous morpheus versions have ALWAYS been extremely unstable, so it doesn't really surprise me
    edited February 2004
    I tried Shareaza for awhile and BT downloads on it sucked. Don't know why cause the thing was configured correctly. As for Kazaa Lite, they've come out with something called Kazaa Lite Resurrection. Same thing as the older version.
    edited February 2004
    I'm staying with what i've got. I'll try that Azureus thing and see if it's any good but i removed morpheus.
    edited February 2004
    Kazaa Lite seems to still work fine for me.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I must be stupid. It doesn't seem that Azureus starts. As soon i click the .exe, nothing happens. I'm using a fresh XP install.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited February 2004
    In my opinion, Shareaza is the best around. With a little tweaking, and read up, you can control the bandwidth output, get you files as soon as you target source is available, and enjoy problem free file sharing. As far as the blue tool bar, I found Short-Media because of it so it can't be all bad. Just use hijakthis, locate the item that correcponds with the name of the search bar when you right click on the bar itself, and delete it. I have been using Shareaza for the last six months with it running 24/7, and I can't imagine living without it. Along with SM, it is my ultimate online resource for odds and ends that I can't seem to find through conventional means. I have had to overcome the niggling isues that it can create at first but once you get past that, it is smooth sailing. I would be willing to put shareaza up against any other P2P any day, anywhere, for any file. Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement but I really like that program. If anybody has any questions about it, feel free to post them here, I may not be an awesome system builder yet but damnit I know my Shareaza!!!
    edited February 2004
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I've read numerous Shareaza FAQs and I have my upload bandwidth dialed down, yet Shareaza still slows the speed of my connection...EVEN WHEN THERE ARE NO DOWNLOADS. I've tested it with Azureus, web browsing, email, and WinMX. I like Shareaza, but it can't even come close to WinMX, DC++, and BT. It has a much greater selection, but for speed BT beats it by an order of magnitude every time.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited February 2004
    madmat wrote:
    I can tell you it wants to add "My Search Bar" which is spyware.
    I just cancelled the install based on that alone, that search bar is an insideous piece of trash and harder than hell to remove.

^

Limewire has fast DL's for "bible" music. I use IRC (www.isohunt.com, www.ircspy.com) and BT (ABC client), I don't really use any of those p2p programs anymore, unless I can't find what I want on BT or IRC (of stuff I already own, for archiving purposes of course).