F@H and games

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited February 2004 in Folding@Home
At first I defended the fact that living F@H on even while game didn't affect anything but I think I'm gonna have to take that part back. For the last few weeks I've left F@H on as a service and I never turned it off. I noticed that BF1942 w/ DC ran like crap. Even at 800x600 @ low detail. Sluggish even playing when practicing alone. Yesterday I ran EndItAll before a game which also killed F@H and the game flew. Played it at 1280x1024 @ max detail. Frames hovered around 65-75. Before it was like 25-30. I guess for me it could just happen with that game since it's so cpu intensive, cause I have yet to notice with other games. So..what other games or programs have you guys had problem with?

Comments

• hypermoodhypermood Smyrna, GA New
    edited February 2004
    Thief and Thief II did not work well for me with F@H in the background.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited February 2004
    I seem to run BF1942 just fine with 2 consoles open. *shrug* Only the initial loading was slow.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    But look at your system specs. I'm running on a AXP1600+, 512MB DDR266 and a 9700NP.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited February 2004
    True... didn't realize.

Hmm .... is there a way to set F@H lower priority? IDK *shrug* You could always turn it off while you game I guess.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    FAH gives me lower framerates Max Payne and GTA3.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    At first I defended the fact that living F@H on even while game didn't affect anything but I think I'm gonna have to take that part back. For the last few weeks I've left F@H on as a service and I never turned it off. I noticed that BF1942 w/ DC ran like crap. Even at 800x600 @ low detail. Sluggish even playing when practicing alone. Yesterday I ran EndItAll before a game which also killed F@H and the game flew. Played it at 1280x1024 @ max detail. Frames hovered around 65-75. Before it was like 25-30. I guess for me it could just happen with that game since it's so cpu intensive, cause I have yet to notice with other games. So..what other games or programs have you guys had problem with?
    how is your priority set to idle or low?
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited February 2004
    I've had issues with F@H and some games. I'd say that it's safe to say that in general F@H doesn't cause problems, but if your games start acting strange, F@H should be the prime suspect...
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Yeah, I don't usually have too much trouble leaving it running (Halo, C&C, etc) but I usually pause it, especially when I'm playing over the net. My specs may be making me miss the prob though.

3000+
    9800 pro
    Lvl 1 Mushkin
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    csimon wrote:
    how is your priority set to idle or low?
    Idle and when I check the CPU usage, F@H isn't using any.
  • edited February 2004
    I've also noticed that it has affected BF1942 w/DC on a friend's computer with a 2.4GHz Intel and 512 MB Ram. It slowed his framerates considerably. I turn it off while gaming just in case. It was already part of my routine. I also noticed and have confirmed this through other forums: F@H was causing BF1942 to minimize and was causing playability problems. I'd have to say that I'd recommend to turn it off while gaming. My understanding is that this is unique to the new 4.0 client that is out.

KingFish
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2004
    Norge has problems with FAH and BF1942. At least when he had the GUI. Not sure anymore since he has it serviced.

GUI=Evil.
    edited February 2004
    the FahCore_78.exe is using 100% when the machine is idle right?
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited February 2004
    I use 2 consoles (v4) and I get no problems with BF1942. *shrug* maybe its just GUI?
    edited February 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    I've also noticed that it has affected BF1942 w/DC on a friend's computer with a 2.4GHz Intel and 512 MB Ram. It slowed his framerates considerably. I turn it off while gaming just in case. It was already part of my routine. I also noticed and have confirmed this through other forums: F@H was causing BF1942 to minimize and was causing playability problems. I'd have to say that I'd recommend to turn it off while gaming. My understanding is that this is unique to the new 4.0 client that is out.

KingFish
    Now that I think about it, I didn't notice a problem before v4.0.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    My problems were with the version before 4.0 and set to idle. This was the main reason I object to people installing it on other peoples machines without their knowledge. How would you like to find out that someone has installed some strange program on your PC that it casusing it to make alot more heat than normal and making some games run slower too?
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2004
    F@H makes some of my games crash to the desktop or minimioze to the desktop and dont work, i have to turn it ff to play games, remember my whole heroes of might and magic 3 quarrel? yea F@H
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I use 4.0 console with idle priority, none of my games are affected.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2004
    hmm maybe ill look into it, how many clients are there? i use the from stanfords website

/edit
    wow what a brain fart, i use the 1 from stanfords website :)
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited February 2004
    i had problems running mafia with it on lowest priority
    edited February 2004
    csimon wrote:
    the FahCore_78.exe is using 100% when the machine is idle right?
    Yeah
    edited February 2004
    Well terminate the client until you're finished gaming ...that's what I would do if it caused issues.
    edited February 2004
    That's what I been recently doing. Gonna affect my production since most of the time I forget to turn it back on... :-/
  • hypermoodhypermood Smyrna, GA New
    edited February 2004
    Just use a batch file to stop the client, start the game and wait for it to exit, then restart the client. Use 'START /WAIT <AppName>' to make the batch file pause for the application (your game) to exit.
    edited February 2004
    hypermood wrote:
    Just use a batch file to stop the client, start the game and wait for it to exit, then restart the client. Use 'START /WAIT <AppName>' to make the batch file pause for the application (your game) to exit.
    good idea! :fold: