Firmament Campaign Setting WIP

drasnordrasnor Starship OperatorHawthorne, CA Icrontian
edited March 2012 in D&D Supernerd Heaven
I'm providing this since some of you are getting antsy to start doing backstory and character-building decisions for the next campaign. I realize there's not a whole lot here to satisfy that aspect of your curiosity, but hopefully this will give you some world history to start framing your mindset.

Origin Story (from the point of view of humans, dwarves, elves, gnomes, etc; hereafter referred to as humankind)
It's been roughly two millennia since the the three goddesses brought the races of humankind to their promised land and found it already taken. The goddesses brought us to Firmament in the bill of a great stork flying across the ocean of stars. However, in the chaos of their arrival the goddess Zaphyra was forced to stay behind and safeguard the ancients' bounty while the goddesses Ariel and Kharla brought us across the final distance in their arms.

What greeted our ancestors on Firmament were the Dragons. There was a great, brief war between the goddesses and the dragons to decide which of us would be allowed to survive. The dragons in their might clashed with the goddesses in their fury and rent the land and skies asunder. In the end, the metallic-hued dragons made peace with the goddess Ariel to allow the dragons and our people to coexist. Kharla, furious at this betrayal, cursed Ariel on behalf of all of our dead. Likewise did the chromatic dragons curse their metallic bretheren. But this uneasy peace has held.

As their final act together, the goddesses created demigods to oversee us and locked themselves away in slumber until the advent of Zaphyra. It is written that her coming will be marked by a great flame in the heavens, and the bounty of the ancients bestowed upon the righteous. Today most remember, but few truly believe.

About the world:
Firmament is a small world roughly the size of Earth's moon, but with roughly the same mass and thus gravity as Earth. Firmament's surface is 3/4 covered in water. The remainder is land spread across three continents; two on opposite sides of the planet spreading north to south across an equator and a frozen continent over the north pole shrouded in mist.

The two temperate continents are home to all the sentient life on Firmament as well as the usual fantasy flora and fauna. There is a good deal of geographic variety on the populated continents and all the major biomes except tundra are represented. There are also a few strange regions distorted by the Dragon War where nature behaves in peculiar ways. The frozen, mist-covered continent to the north remains enigmatic as no adventurers have ever returned that set foot inland from its coasts.

I have not quite firmed up (hah) what the present technology level or political layout will consist of. The party will be starting in a small town in a mountainous region conveniently located near the border of two nations engaging in a territorial dominance war.

I toyed with changing how time works, but the game system really relies on Earth time for best results. As such, a year is 360 24-hr days, where an hour is 60 minutes and a minute is 60 seconds. There are 12 months each 30 days long, and the climate conditions are such that each year has four seasons (3 months each) outside of the arctic and tropics (which get two seasons).

The things in the sky consist of two stars, a large one and a smaller one orbiting it fairly closely, and a huge planet that Firmament itself is a moon of. Firmament orbits about this yet-to-be-named planet once every month. Rarely but predictably for those in the know, the relative positions of this planet and the suns makes for a week-long eclipse which will likely be given religious significance. Also, all the stars in one portion of the sky are deep red shading through pink to white in a wide band before shading through blue to violet on the opposite side.

Religion:
For the human races, there are the three major faiths of the goddesses. The followers of Ariel are generally advocates of secular tolerance; but are widely demonized as selling out humankind's birthright to Firmament. The majority of people are followers of Kharla, which is supremacist versus the Dragons and dragonians. The followers of Zaphyra are the fewest in number as members of her faith have no secular interest. It is a selfless faith whose followers give everything of themselves to help their fellows. Each race claims their own patron demigod as well.

Magic:
Magic is poorly understood among humankind. Arcane magic is thought to derive from the forces which shape existence. Attuning one's mind to these energies allows the sufficiently willful to bend them. Some are born innately with the knack while others can learn it through study.

Divine magic is thought to be granted by the demigods as representatives of the goddesses.

Races:
TBD, but essentially all the basic Tolkien faire is here. In addition there are the dragonians, which are nomadic lizard-people who mostly keep to themselves and don't speak common. I haven't decided if I want to make them playable or not since coping with extreme racism and inability to communicate is very hard to roleplay; though reading Darths & Droids has been inspiring.

Classes:
TBD, count on all the basics and I'll decide on the others later.

In closing, the setting is meant to be a medium fantasy epic with sci-fi elements. I'd also like to request that we play this episodically in lieu of continuously like the Isles story. Feedback welcome.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Sounds great so far. I'll wait to hear from you on whether or not Alchemist will be allowed before I start putting anything together.

On a side note: If you need me to add forum access for any players, let me know. I still don't know Bender's forum name.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Could you elaborate a bit more on playing episodically please? I take it to mean we'll have regular playtimes like we currently have, but that the time in-game may jump forward (or back!?) at certain points to represent uneventful travel, extreme circumstances, etc.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    That's usually what it means. That's how the other campaign I'm currently playing in works. We might finish one adventure at the end of one week, then next week, we'll start with "Three weeks later as the party was visiting a friend at the tavern of the Dread Scorpion, they happened upon...."

Whereas, The Isles of the Sun was essentially a single, very long, adventure, despite the chapter breaks.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    Pretty much this exactly. It would also give us an opportunity to try other things if other people wanted to run stuff between episodes.
    Okay, I've thought about it and I'm allowing all the classes (base and core) in the Pathfinder SRD except Oracle and Summoner. They don't fit in with the setting as I've imagined it. Technology level is Renaissance. All core races are present.
    Aww.... That Summoner looked pretty sweet... Though, I suppose it would have been a pain to have him run in Fantasy Grounds anyhow with all those custom summons. :)

The big advantage for players in an episodic camp. is that their professions become more meaningful. For every week that passes between episodes, they can make a profit check and earn some cash. This is pretty nice in early levels. If it's also a constrained setting - like if the whole thing takes place in and around one city - It also allows other things that require down-time and a home (like establishing a business in town or building a fortress or somesuch). Finally, it allows the DM to run adventures where a player is missing more easily, by having them simply not be part of that episode.

The advantage for the DM is the ability to plan the next episode farther in advance, since he/she doesn't need to wait and figure out where and when the adventurers will be before planning it.

The only disadvantage is a loss of a certain sense of urgency to the greater story, if the story requires such, sometimes, if not done right, it can make the campaign feel more constrained.

Convenient for me because as a DM, I prefer a serial campaign, but as a player, I find I prefer episodic. :D
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Sounds good to me. I'm leaning toward an Order of the Blue Rose Cavalier Human; a follower of Ariel.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    Sweet, so in reference to my gunslinger what would be the level of guns present? Would it be Emerging or Commonplace? Link here for info. Also are we allowed to take archetypes of base and core classes? I'm considering either the Musketmaster or Pistolero archetype of the gunslinger.
    Also, the episodic content will be fantastic for my gunslinger since it'll give me time to craft some new ammo between sessions so that I don't have to buy it. Guns are an expensive hobby... :-)
    Commonplace. I allow archetypes pending individual review and approval.
    Fantastic. As I said I am looking at either the archetypes of the gunslinger, haven't decided yet. Also, are we going to be allowed to select any traits? And if so, how many?
    Alternate racial traits I'll review individually. We're not using the half-feat value traits if that's what you're asking. Any feats you take need to be from the core rulebook, advanced players guide, ultimate combat, or ultimate magic. There may be additional restrictions, but the rule of thumb I'm following is that if it references some attribute that only exists in one of the other Pathfinder settings it's not going to be allowed. In case there's confusion, these are the permissible classes:
    Barbarian
    Bard
    Cleric
    Druid
    Fighter
    Monk
    Paladin
    Ranger
    Rogue
    Sorcerer
    Wizard
    Alchemist
    Cavalier
    Gunslinger
    Inquisitor
    Magus
    Witch
    No I meant the actual bonus traits. Here is the info on the SRD.
    Those are the ones I was referring to. We're not using those.
    OK. No problem.
    Just out of curiosity, I was looking at the following books:

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8o9k

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8lgn

Would I be able to use anything out of them? The first book is all about Gunslingers and some alternate options, and the 2nd one is a list of Favored Class options (including the new classes added in UC and UM that didn't exist in the standard and advance PHB.) I don't want to buy the books if I am unable to use them, but I'd pick them up if I can.
    I would need to review alternative options for your class. We will not be using Expanded Favored Class Options.
    Ok, I'll pick it up and check it out. Also, the core races don't include the Favored Class options for the Non-Core Classes. Are you going to allow only the Favored Class options for the core classes, or can we only chose a favored class and the one HP or one skill point option, no matter what class and/or race you chose?
    edited March 2012
    Are you going to allow only the Favored Class options for the core classes, or can we only chose a favored class and the one HP or one skill point option, no matter what class and/or race you chose?
    We are not using Expanded or Advanced Favored Class options. We're using the rules from the Core Rulebook (pick your favored class(es) at creation, get a bonus HP or SP.)
    Ok, that's what I was wondering.
  • Interesting
    Any chance we can use non core races? I was considering making a Goblin Gunslinger just for the Luls of having a little guy tote around a large (for him) gun to shoot people with. :-) Playing with fire (in a firearm) seems to be something a goblin would love to do.
  • edited April 2012
    Only if it has a 50% chance to blow up in his face or knock him over that could be entertaining.
    Any chance we can use non core races? I was considering making a Goblin Gunslinger just for the Luls of having a little guy tote around a large (for him) gun to shoot people with. :-) Playing with fire (in a firearm) seems to be something a goblin would love to do.
    No monster races.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    You can be a very short person. Like Tyrion Lannister.
    Goblins aren't monsters, they're just misunderstood.
    Goblins aren't monsters, they're just misunderstood.
    Here, here!! They are one of the core races in 4E. :-)
    I've been familiarizing myself with the rules, and I think Magus looks like the class for me if it fits into the party. :)