Good Old Games calls out Steam

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited March 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    I would be a little surprised if gog integrated with Steam. They've stated before that they see themselves as trying to straight up compete with Steam, and it kinda flies in the face of their anti-drm stance.

Interesting to see how this will turnout.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    If Steam is difficult DRM, that makes EA, Ubisoft, et al what - nightmare mode?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    I hope GoG releases a direct Steam competitor. I'd go over to buying from them in a heartbeat if I could get new games in a DRM-free format.

EDIT: FML, they have Psychonauts #HereTakeMyMoney
  • I do agree that DRM is a problem, but I have to say, I never had a problems with Steam and I only have good reasons to talk about Steam.
  • This is so hypocritical. GoG is owned by CD Projekt, the creators of The Witcher 1 and 2. TW 2 was launched with DRM, and also CD Projekt tried to sue people who had downloaded their games via torrents.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    This is so hypocritical. GoG is owned by CD Projekt, the creators of The Witcher 1 and 2. TW 2 was launched with DRM
    Which they promptly removed with a patch.

and also CD Projekt tried to sue people who had downloaded their games via torrents.
    So, you're upset that they're trying to protect their work? I'm sure you're going to liken this to the RIAA/MPAA, but I don't buy that because the artists see about $0 from all of that litigation.
  • Could someone explain how Steam is "difficult to use"?
  • I really don't care what anyone has to say about steam.... but GoG.... really?

How can ANYONE like GoG?

>Owned by CDProjekt that sued people and falsified numbers about pirating
    >Sell old games that give no profits to the creators
    >Feel the need to shit talk about other digital services
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    It's true that CDProjekt has a bit of a checkered past. I'm curious to see how this all shakes out. The full announcement comes Tuesday.
  • I've considered using GOG to fill a few holes in my gaming, but if it means supporting people that find STEAM 'difficult to use,' I'm going to have to rethink that. Steam is the definition of hassle-free DRM.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I would prefer DRM-free games, but 100% hassle-free DRM is a very close second, and Steam provides just that. Having invested hundreds into the latter platform, no upstart's digital delivery platform will take me away from it.
  • Games needing Steam is arguable.
    Old games needing steam is ridiculous. Half of the time games like Dark Forces II are not even updated to run properly on modern systems. Really, the most they do is mess with the EXE so that steam has to be open to run it.
    Completely pointless.
  • There's no such thing as "hassle-free" DRM

DRM was CREATED to be a hassle
  • @Mike - as much as I generally love arguing with @Thrax I must agree with him, Steam's DRM is as hassle free as it gets. It's a good compromise and I have zero issue with it.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    GoG done goofed, if they'd picked on origin or ubisoft, hell even impluse, we'd all have cheered them hoarse.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    gog.com always does these marketing gimmicks to stir up a lot of talk and controversy, sometimes it's negative attention. But it gets them a lot more views than if they took a less confrontational approach.
    There's no such thing as "hassle-free" DRM

DRM was CREATED to be a hassle
    I know you're an anonymous comment troll, and this is what you do, but you didn't actually refute my point.
  • Steam isn't really a hassle for anyone. I've never had any issue with steam shit, and I can mod it out the ass easily.

GoG I don't buy from for two reasons. One, I like to have all my stuff in the same place. Anyone coming years late to the digital distribution platform game is an idiot if they think they can compete when people have already established libraries of 200 games on one place. But that's less relevant than point 2; steam is just far cheaper. Sorry, but steams major appeal is that I can buy shit for £2 and £3. Unless you can offer me the same or better, I'm not gonna buy it am I?
  • Oh god the valve white knights in these comments are strong.

If I have to log into steam to play a game I already downloaded. THAT'S A F*CKING HASSLE.

Get off Steams dick
  • you know what I think? Steam is good, it's more like a social gaming, you can have your friends, you can have your games downloaded at any time, hell, you can do any thing, but I think that Steam shouldn't be necessary to run the games, you should be able to run them without steam, why? because DRM is to protect games against piracy right? so guess what? Games still getting pirated, hell I've pirated every single EA game, even when they added shits like "Origin", "In-game login", just pure bullshit.
  • I like Steam... but sometimes internet goes down here and if I feel like playing something, I can't. That's because Steam's "offline" mode only works if you're ONLINE when turning it on.

I can't even tell if it's a bug or "feature".
  • "The insinuation here is that Steam is frustrating to use."

Is it?
  • Steam is still DRM and makes it close to impossible to play offline. DEATH TO STEAM!
    Tonight they called out GamersGate with regional pricing. I'm predicting an Origin riff next:

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    Steam/Valve will NOT let me take my account and:

Change the login name for my account
    Transfer my games to a new account
    Disassociate from a handle I would no longer like to be associated with

I am really sad that all the games I have bought (99% of them at retail) cannot be access without using a handle that I've long since abandoned. Absolute BS.
    You're uptight about your handle? Seriously? My handle could be poopydickbuttbutt and I wouldn't care. It's just your login name...?
    Dude, it's just a login name. You can change your user name to anything under the sun.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Oh god the valve white knights in these comments are strong.

If I have to log into steam to play a game I already downloaded. THAT'S A F*CKING HASSLE.

Get off Steams dick
    If clicking on the Steam icon is a hassle I have to wonder how you managed to type a complete sentence.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    I like Steam... but sometimes internet goes down here and if I feel like playing something, I can't. That's because Steam's "offline" mode only works if you're ONLINE when turning it on.

I can't even tell if it's a bug or "feature".
    This does suck. My Internet is rarely down, but when it is, I'm SOL. Probably a bigger deal for laptop gamers.

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Actually, if you're offline when steam starts up it will opt in to offline mode, or at least ask if you want to start in offline mode. I've had this happen several times when I was bringing my old laptop out to the beach.