EpIC GoLF

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Glitter?.... sigh. Looking forward to it guys :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    I'm looking forward to this as well. I even played once this year prior to our Expo golf game, for a change.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    REMINDER:

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR BALLS ACCOUNTED FOR BEFORE WE....

wait..

Please get a good supply of golf balls/tees/fluids before we tee off on Thursday morning. I will(not) be supplying my personal balls for whacking/smacking.

THANKS!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Will we be able to purchase said balls at the club? I will be renting clubs there (unless someone has a spare set for me to use.)
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Will we be able to purchase said balls at the club? I will be renting clubs there (unless someone has a spare set for me to use.)
    Both questions (well, the second was a sentence, but it asks a question) are relevant to my interests
    Golf balls are available at the course. Meijers also sells them much cheaper. It would be best for the "golfers" to make a Meijers pilgrimage BEFORE Thursday morning, in the interest of less $$$ spent.
    Golf balls are available at the course. Meijers also sells them much cheaper. It would be best for the "golfers" to make a Meijers pilgrimage BEFORE Thursday morning, in the interest of less $$$ spent.
    ^man speaks truth

I will check on the status of my spare set at ICHQ before next thursday.

Should probably get an idea how many are planning to rent clubs, and hopefully the clubhouse has enough to rent.
    I said earlier that I could not bring a spare set this year, however, I may be able to.

Do not count on it, but if it will fit in the car, I will bring them.
  • I was planning on renting. Last year they gave me a pretty nice set after lecturing me on not hurting the clubs because they were more valuable than my soul. I don't remember it being super expensive.. $25ish + a security deposit?
    I can probably acquire a woman's set for a short person also
    Is it the same woman's set I used last year? Those shafts were so bendy the club head was still back by my knee when my body was square with the ball. Good times!
    Is it the same woman's set I used last year? Those shafts were so bendy the club head was still back by my knee when my body was square with the ball. Good times!
    not my fault you're as strong as a moose :)

and yup they are
    I might actually need to borrow those bendy women's clubs, if they're still available.
    edited June 2012
    I might actually need to borrow those bendy women's clubs, if they're still available.
    you do look good in pink. no one else has claimed so yup
    We found a meijer deal for 48 balls for $16. So, 4 of us non-experts should go in for this.
    WE WILL MEET FOR BREAKFAST AT THE MCDONALDS ON VAN DYKE ACROSS FROM TACO BELL(Jenny Lane) NORTH OF CHICAGO/13 MILE.

hopefully I told everyone playing this.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Works for me. I'll be there 'round 8:15-8:30ish
    It happened.

Team Ryder has lost for the first time in the 5 years of the Epic Golf outing.

Queue the @fatcat gloating ;D
    I'm sorry I disappointed you!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Thanks everyone for breaking my golf cherry. I did fairly well for my first time. We used my ball alot more than I expected. The highlight of Team Rainbow was all @sharkydart though. He birdied 16 all by himself. We used every one of his shots. He hit the green in two and sank a long putt for the birdie. He also make another 15-17 foot put while on the phone on another hole. He is the man!!
    @Tushon, you did not disappoint me.
    @Tushon, you did not disappoint me.
    o.O

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    I believe the scores were like...

TEAM GLITTER: +1 or +2
    TEAM RAINBOW: +16
    TEAM UNICORN: Even (0)

Guess which team had the toughest time... ;D
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Unicorn, of course. It was really hard sitting there in the clubhouse drinking beers waiting for you guys to approach the turn :)
    I'm glad I performed to expectation. I only had one zomg utterly terrible slice (and at the best possible time). Clutch putts are clutch.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    I made a couple nice shots, but I tend to think we should limit the event to nine holes. The reason i say this is that we do get a lot of people who don't have a lot of skill that would like to play. 18 holes is too much to ask for speed on when people are learning basic skills and it is also just not fun to constantly feel under pressure that you are taking too long. I do have a great time at this event, just trying to make it easy for all to try it out and enjoy it.
    The main reason we do 18 holes is because:

18 holes with cart = $30
    9 holes with cart = $28

I wil continue to evaluate how to make golf more fun and maintain proper golfing pace
    Maybe being in the last group was different, but I thought we had a decent pace going and the non-golfers weren't pressured to perform or w/e
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    It was a lot of fun! I think people need to chill the F out about the perceived "going slow." lol

It only seemed like we were going slow because we just weren't making good shots - thus, we had to take many more shots (seriously; +14 on the next closest team) - that's where the time comes from, not from anyone taking more time than normal to play the game.

It seems I'm generally more laid-back/apathetic than most I guess; I'm fine with random teams, but maybe coming up with an approximate upper/middle/lower (A/B/C) skill division of players and then creating teams with that as a guide is the best way to go to.

Also, I think if each player gives a self-assessment of their skill in the different shots in a best-to-worst kind of way when they are saying "IN" for the event, it could help form teams that play faster; avoiding gaps in skill for the different shot to get from tee to pin as best as possible. I'm looking forward to next time!
    Thanks everyone for breaking my golf cherry. I did fairly well for my first time. We used my ball alot more than I expected. The highlight of Team Rainbow was all @sharkydart though. He birdied 16 all by himself. We used every one of his shots. He hit the green in two and sank a long putt for the birdie. He also made another 15-17 foot put while on the phone on another hole. He is the man!!
    Thanks! Though, I think you helped us with more shots than I did. I wish we could've pulled off the full "In in three" rally! That would've been absolutely epic. :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    I did have a 20+ foot putt from the rough edge of the green that stuck on the pin and took 20 seconds to fall. :D