EpIC GoLF

124»

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    AFAIK Ryder and I are the only golfers that can really hold our own (as in if we played solo we wouldn't even have a +16 score, maybe +10 or so)

so, with having 3 teams comes the issue. what I should have done is had team rainbow only have 3 players. make sure the two teams with the relative decent golfers has 4 players. I am open to all suggestions to make this event be no more than 5 hours.

what I did notice, is golfers that don't play much(or at all) taking 3-6 "practice" shots (swinging club before actually hitting the ball) every single time they went to hit the ball. THIS IS POINTLESS and a time waster. You CAN NOT learn golf in a single round. AlexDeGruven made an excellent point that he actually hit the ball better when he didn't think about it and just lined up and swung.

there are only two things you need to worry about as a non golfer. eye on the ball and don't stand up during swing (keep knees bent). standing there doing "half-swings" for 45 seconds on EVERY SHOT wastes time.

WANT YOUR FEEDBACK!

I had a great time golfing.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Say these quick tips at the beginning of the round before we start and make the teams like you just stated and we'll be golden next time. Maybe @NiGHTS won't kenkel out and we'll have triple good golfers.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Say these quick tips at the beginning of the round before we start and make the teams like you just stated and we'll be golden next time. Maybe @NiGHTS won't kenkel out and we'll have triple good golfers.
    awesome point!

Next year Ryder and I will have a 5 minute "tips for new golfers" demo before the round
  • Golf was a frigin blast! Special thanks to fatcat and ryder for making it fun.
    I do agree with a very brief initiation of rules/tips to keep things moving smoothly. I also completely agree with not taking practice swings. All my good hits were the ones where I just went for it and didn't think about it.
    Still even with all friendly tips being followed, if a team is just struggling to get it in the hole then the only thing that will speed them up is a good player.

I'm just not too worried about it, we had a great time even while waiting for the team ahead of us. I know it almost made us late to the kick off, but it all worked out.

Thanks again guys!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    I think the lesson here is: Hey noobs: find a cheap course near your home and practice once in a while, will ya? :p
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Nope, that isn't it at all.

What should also be done at the start is Greg and I should give some tips on etiquette/management that speed up play.
    Where to park cart
    When to take clubs with you (for next hole).
    How to pick what club you want to hit
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    No practice is best practice, although a driving range play or two before hand would be useful.