Mehbeh I should make some upgrades....

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth
edited May 2012 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I think it's time for some upgrades to my PC. I effed my permissions, so I need to do a reformat anyways, so I figured I might as well get a better hard drive to do it with. Mine is about five or six years old, so I think it's time to upgrade things. Feel free to disagree with me. Also; should I get an SSD and a hard drive? Or is that not necessary at this point?

I also need a new PSU.

I'm considering other upgrades, but I figured I'd see what you guys thought. I'm a grad student, so I'm kind of low on funds. I'd prefer not to upgrade things unless I have to (which I guess I don't have to get a new hard drive at present, but maybe I just kind of want one? heh)

Here's what's in my PC:

ATI Radeon 5870
4 gb DDR2-1066 @ 500MHz
DFI LanParty DK P35-T2R/S
Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3GHz

(Also, thanks to @thracks for giving me well...all of the above. Heh.)

I know it would be easiest for all of you if I gave you a budget...let's say under $300? But it's a little flexible.

Thanks guys, you're all the best.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    edited May 2012
    Everything you have is fine to keep for now, and here is a great combo for well under your budget.
    PCP&C Silencer Mk II $90 after rebate
    OCZ Vertex 4 $140

I can get closer to $300 with faster/better parts, but that PSU gets you a lot of future headroom and a good quality product and the Vertex 4 is insanely fast.
    SSD info
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    You definitely don't need a CPU, Motherboard, or GPU upgrade. Maybe you could get another 4gb of RAM, an SSD, and a PSU. Perhaps:

Thermaltake TR2 700w PSU
    OCZ Vertex 4 SSD

If you really want a lot of capacity, I still highly recommend the Seagate Momentus XT 750gb hybrid SSD. It gives you the SSD speed for a lot of the important things (like booting and program launches) and 750gb space, way more than a normal SSD. It's only $155.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    Better than both the above PSUs, cheaper than one of them with no rebate (even cheaper after rebate).

You could also do with an SSD, and the Vertex 4 Brian linked is the best for the job.

You don't need to upgrade the rest.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou
    is it just me, or are the Vertex4's slower than the 3's?

535/200 vs 550/500 ?

also, Jackie's mobo doesn't support SATAIII, so just get an Vertex Plus 120GB for $79
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    The Vertex 4 is more future-proof
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    But DDR2 RAM is so expensive. I'm in the same boat: where the only update that I really need is more RAM, but I need DDR2, and it feels like a waste to buy any.

535/200 vs 550/500 ?

also, Jackie's mobo doesn't support SATAIII, so just get an Vertex Plus 120GB for $79
    That's a bad future-proofing call. She'll upgrade mobo eventually which will have SATA III capable chipset, but the tom's hardware link I had shows almost no differences still on access times even with SATA III vs II but that may be on a better chipset.

I would say just go PSU and SSD for now. The one Thrax recommended is excellent as well, but the one I recommended comes from personal experience plus a seven year warranty.

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Living in the North
    This is my PSU. It works wonders.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou

535/200 vs 550/500 ?

That's a bad future-proofing call. She'll upgrade mobo eventually which will have SATA III capable chipset, but the tom's hardware link I had shows almost no differences still on access times even with SATA III vs II but that may be on a better chipset.

I would say just go PSU and SSD for now. The one Thrax recommended is excellent as well, but the one I recommended comes from personal experience plus a seven year warranty.

by the time she updates her mobo, the Vertex 6/7/8 will be out :)
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    btw, the PSU I recommended has a 9.5 rating on JonnyGURU, one of the highest awards on the site.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou
    personally, I would set that $300 aside and save until you have enough for a cpu-mobo-gpu-ssd-ram-psu upgrade
  • I know some of these words. Well gnome you're far ahead of me. I need to learn how to build a tower and then.. buy the things after finding the best prices.. yay
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA
    @bright, if you are serious about building a computer, make a thread. These guys are fantastic with helping.
    edited May 2012
    I know some of these words. Well gnome you're far ahead of me. I need to learn how to build a tower and then.. buy the things after finding the best prices.. yay
    Like Annes said, just make a thread here with a budget and what you want to do and we'll do you right from budgeting and selecting parts to putting it all together.