Icrontic Summer Shindig 2012 - halp?

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited June 2012 in Community
Aug 17-19 is when our low-key summer fiesta is happening this year, but I'm hoping it will be a little bigger than usual. What we really need is another ICSP-style work event down at ICHQ: Detroit, and for a variety of reasons it isn't feasible (or advisable) to do one during Expo.

Here's the situation. The required list of fixes to get the official occupancy permit is still scary, especially because it includes replacing the carriage house roof & painting... everything (inside & out). While we're hoping to skirt this, we must assume that we cannot until we find out otherwise. We absolutely must have a loan in place to tackle the carriage house, so I don't think scheduling this any sooner is wise anyway. It's also going to require a lot of planning that we don't have time to do before Expo.

We could be roofing. We could be digging. I'm sure there will be painting. Hell, maybe we'll be moving. We have no idea. But, we definitely will need help of all kinds. The event is scheduled for the weekend as usual, but if you're helping you can arrive & depart whenever and crash at the house (probably Warren, but who knows).

Thanks folks :)

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I planned to do some work Monday afternoon/Tuesday of EPIC week ... does that not work for you guys? I could probably tear off a roof in a couple days, but you may not be comfortable with only tarps up for a couple months or what have you.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    I'll definitely welcome the help, yes. It won't be time for the roof, though. The subroof needs to be replaced too. It's a very involved project. We'll need a dumpster, etc. No way I can coordinate even enough for a tear-down.

FYI, I will only be getting back to Detroit that Sunday, so it's all gonna get a bit crazy :)
  • I know this isn't about time before EPIC, but @cannonfodder and I will be there the 16th and we are both willing to spend saturday, sunday, monday putting some more time into the house.

As for Summer Shindig, I doubt I would be able to. Poor timing. :(
  • mojodeanmojodean Detroit, Michigan Member
    Alas but I will be out of town during that time. Sorry I cannot help then!
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Let me check with Heather, but if you're going to be roofing I'm pretty sure I'd be helpful. I missed out coming in March, this time I should be able to get a day or so if we don't have anything planned.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    I may be out of town, but if I'm around, I'll definitely chip in at least one day's worth of work.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    You know how I do.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I can do all of those things... especially the carraige house roof... but the timing is rather awful. Will keep you posted.

Also this:
    I know this isn't about time before EPIC, but @cannonfodder and I will be there the 16th and we are both willing to spend saturday, sunday, monday putting some more time into the house.
  • HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    I'll be there, as soon as I get back from Virginia! Friday afternoon flight :D
    What makes the timing so bad? Should I schedule another weekend earlier in August?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    mid-august is prime 'going out of town' time.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    What makes the timing so bad? Should I schedule another weekend earlier in August?
    summer shindig has always been the "smallest" event. I think the last time I went there was 7 of us?
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    I'll try my best to be there to help with whatever I can. Otherwise I can always try planning any other random trips whenever you need extra hands.
    whenever you need extra hands.
    After Expo, that's essentially "every weekend" :D
    whenever you need extra hands.
    After Expo, that's essentially "every weekend" :D
    I totally wanted to help out last week, but you guys both insisted upon leaving the state! :p
    My cousin insisted on getting married :p
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Taipei insisted on being awesome!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    whenever you need extra hands
    If this comment had been posted by a man, @Annes would be all over it, in every way you can be all over an out-of-context sentence fragment.
    edited June 2012
    There will be major work happening at the Sullivan House every weekend between now and Summer Shindig. Every Sat & Sun @ noon until beer o'clock. (That's 8 weekends)

The fridge will always be full of water & beer, and pizza is on me. You can let me know ahead of time & I'll prep something for you, or just drop in and I'm sure I'll find you something. Painting begins July 7.

It's entirely possible we only have 6 weeks left in Warren, so I'm running on that assumption and pressing the panic button. It's possible we'll be moved or moving by Shindig.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    I can't offer much in the way of manpower, since there is a certain not-to-be-named mass of water between us, but if I can help in any way, let me know.
    There will be major work happening at the Sullivan House every weekend between now and Summer Shindig. Every Sat & Sun @ noon until beer o'clock. (That's 8 weekends)

The fridge will always be full of water & beer, and pizza is on me. You can let me know ahead of time & I'll prep something for you, or just drop in and I'm sure I'll find you something. Painting begins July 7.

It's entirely possible we only have 6 weeks left in Warren, so I'm running on that assumption and pressing the panic button. It's possible we'll be moved or moving by Shindig.
    You tell me this now, I JUST made plans for Sunday. Could I work Monday or Tuesday?
    If only there weren't 9 hours between. After July 7th, I'll have vacation again. I'll need to plan carefully, but I *think* I can probably pull a 3 day weekend sometime (calling @upslynx and @tiberiuslazarus) and PERHAPS summer shindig.
    You tell me this now, I JUST made plans for Sunday. Could I work Monday or Tuesday?
    Yes, but you'd need to come get the key from me.

@CannonFodder Want to learn how to install a metal roof? :ninja:
    I installed a tin roof on a 100 ft by 50 ft pole barn once. Its considerably easier and faster than shingles.
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian

I feel like helping out with the house since I only live 10 minutes away. Although I wouldn't really know how do to a lot of the stuff that needs to be done....expect painting....I can do painting.

So I'll guess I'll just show up July 7th for painting.
    Just a reminder we'll be there all weekend again. Mostly spackling, scraping, sanding, & priming.

I spent all afternoon at the house today picking paint colors. I hope to start that the weekend of the 21st.
    Given that Shindig is 1 month away and has 0 attendees officially in, I'm gonna assume it's dead and just say: come whenever you can in the next 6 weeks, and if a bunch of you can make it the same weekend, that'd be delightful.
    edited July 2012
    There will be sleeping space, pizza, and perhaps cookout for whenever people are around. Just let us know.
    I'm going to shindig! :D