Microsoft throws in with tablets. Surface announced

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Hmmm. I was considering an ASUS Transformer as a replacement for both my laptop and my tablet. Should I be considering this instead?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Wait, are they getting rid of the tables that were called surface?
  • I think they are unifying the Surface brand and leaving the tables as part of it for commercial usage.. but a part of it that doesn't yet have a place in this world's consumer mindset. Maybe this is Microsoft saying were sick of disloyal OEMs that don't go along with our vision, and we are out of time waiting on them.
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    @CB: FWIW, I have an ASUS Transformer TF101. Not the Prime. It's kind like a weird netbook that doesn't run most of the software I wish it did, or runs things with weird quirks.

I usually want to ditch the keyboard and just use it as a media reader for news & comics. Of course, the keyboard packs a battery that gives it like 16 hours uptime in constant use. But, it forces landscape rotation and has a weird trackpad that I always disable, because it triggers whenever you accidentally brush it while typing on the cramped keyboard.

Might just be me, but I've found Android much handier on my phone than on a tablet. Your mileage may vary, and the Prime may be much better.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    The cover/keyboard is a pretty cool feature.
    I'm curious about that keyboard case for the Surface. Looks pretty, but gives me Atari 400 & Timex Sinclair flashbacks. Wondering what kind of key travel & tactile response it'll have.

It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised. Because after years of being a MSFT h8r, I'm really starting to get tired of where Apple is headed
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    The tactile keyboard looks far more compelling. Nice shout out to Atari 400 though. That was my first computer :D
    Ah yeah, I read some more and the Type Cover seems Relevant to My Interests.

And yeah, the 400 was my first too. The keyboard on the Atari 800 vs the 400 has made me very critical of keyboard in general, ever since :)
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Might just be me, but I've found Android much handier on my phone than on a tablet. Your mileage may vary, and the Prime may be much better.
    You're not alone. I have ICS on my GNexus and on a hacked HP Touchpad. Since I got the GNex, I've hardly used the touchpad at all, and I find that the experience just becomes somewhat redundant on both devices for my use.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I was very interested in the Windows 8 variant of the Transformer Prime Infinity, as detachables are an incredible form factor, but the shortlist has grown to two with the Surface Pro.
  • GargGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    No price or date? No interest. I'm not going to wait around indefinitely to buy a tablet when there are proven options out there.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    It'd be silly for Microsoft not to launch it alongside Windows 8. By all accounts, that's October.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    I actually like where this is going. I'm guessing there's some seamless integration with the desktop version? Should be a very interesting 2013 in the tablet world.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    From what I've read, It'll be the Windows RT version, then 90 days later the Windows 8 Pro version. So if that holds true from what @Thrax says, you're looking at December for the Pro.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    IIRC, they said in the announcement that the RT version would ship at the same time as Win8 goes public (RTM will probably be August) with Pro to follow around the holidays.
  • By the way, with all the Metro docs and test hardware being thrown at developers for the past year I'd speculate the non-pro version runs 1366x768 @ 120 dpi. I hope I'm wrong.