Tablet backup software ideas?

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited June 2012 in Science & Tech
I need some advice from tablet owners. I am relatively new to the tablet genre of devices, have Android 4.0.3 + on my tablet, and would like to find out what folks use to backup their tablets. Mine backs up to Google+, but I would like to back it up locally, to an SD card. What I have tried so far does not work, for some reason-- and the failures are gobledygook to me. So far, I have not found that unlocking the SD card helps to get a backup.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Titanium Backup root.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    Ok, will try that and see how it does. Thanks. :)

@Tushon Do I need Pro subversion to backup to SD card?
    @Tushon , TB says it cannot get root. Sadly, trying more apps.
    edited June 2012
    Oh I didn't know it was non-rooted. I don't of any "good" solutions for non-root, personally, as you cannot back up app data without root access. The pro version is not necessary for most cases, but it adds features like versioning, backing up apps "live", and some other niche stuff.
    edited June 2012
    Oh I didn't know it was non-rooted.
    The only notes about rooting it I can find after about 2 hours of looking say "thus and so" claims to have done so as of sometime this week-- no details available yet. There are no guides up for it yet, just definitions of "what is root" so far.

The notes about the Excite 10 LE (which mine and the review will NOT be about) have hackers asking themselves if they ever really got root, as the silly thing will not boot after loading stock ICS onto it. Guess it's "too new yet." :( I'm a sad panda as to rooting it, as Bandrik might say.
    What is the name/model?
    edited June 2012
    Toshiba Excite 10 tablet, 32 GB subvariety (AT305-T32). It is NOT the Excite 10 LE, which has some different hardware and supposedly cheesier/junkier construction). This particular tablet has only been out a month to a month and a half for the US.

BTW, utter derp me did not read the Utilities section of the "fine" manual online (and in the tablet, though I like the full-fledged Acrobat Reader on my laptop better than Android Acrobat Reader) until just recently (the tablet is charging so I read the manual on the Toshiba site from my laptop). Looks like, hidden in the built-in file manager utility, there is backup capability (to an SD card :) ). Will check it out and try it out tomorrow, let you know about it.
    I think you are correct that it is currently not workable. There was at least one dev that has sent off for source code and Toshiba is sending it to them via CD-R
    edited June 2012
    File manager did the backup for me.

Added: It worked, wiped tablet to factory with factory reset function then recopied remaining data from SD card. Then restarted the tablet with an off/on cycle. Couple little merge things, but worked almost all the way right. Quickly fixed those issues. ;)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    The company that makes Titanium Backup also makes Titanium Media Sync. I do not believe that requires root.
    Ok, thank you, @Kwitko . I will check that out also.
    Titanium Media Sync is for syncing to Cloud, I wanted to save images to my SD card. I figured out how to do the somewhat of a backup and recovery procedure allowed by the Toshiba file manager. I get about 90% of my data intact, all the apps including the custom ones (sans data) and almost all the custom settings of the Toshiba as well.Until the thing is reliably rootable, I think this is good enough.

Thanks everyone for trying to help. :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    My bad. I missed the part about wanting to back up to the SD card.