ICHQ: Detroit needs custom wood trim

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited July 2012 in Community
We could use some serious help identifying wood & creating custom matching trim: http://intodetroit.com/article/wooden-trim

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    pics or gtfo
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    Could you take some pictures of the trim you're trying to recreate? You will be needing a table router and some beveled edge routing bits to match what you're trying to cut.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Note that wood matching is not a pure thing even if you get the same kind of wood. Varnishing or oiling with stain in oil or mixed with varnish or applied before varnish, can age wood.

We DO need pics, though. At least one blow-up of some wood trim stripped of paint. I used to show folk how to do this and sell stain and coatings and oils, for about 7 years at a hardware store.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2012
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    pics or gtfo
    Show us your wood.

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Shwaip beat me too it :(
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    I got a wood guy.
    inb4 any joke.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    You will be needing a table router and some beveled edge routing bits to match what you're trying to cut.
    Access to a router isn't a problem, which is why one of the options I list is the ability to create a custom router bit. Trying to router this 1 notch at time would be a gigantic PITA.

I'll get pics next time I'm there, but the cutting solution is a far bigger issue than the identification.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    Things I think: "Why the fuck couldn't I have taken up serious wood carving in the scouts?"