Leaked BIOS easily turns Radeon HD 7970 into GHz Edition

Comments

• this is not my first card, this is not my first oc, this is not my first biosflash, and this is not my first time losing my guarantie after a voltmode.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    null said:

@ mertesn: show me the link to the amd-page where you can download this bios and where you can get the support for flashing it.

Bios flashes are only approved from the manufactor, if your card doesn´t work right and you ask support for help. then they could offer you a bios as a bugfix.

Show me on the AMD web site where ANY GPU BIOS can be downloaded

You can't. AMD doesn't host GPU BIOS files.

So let's see here...you're using unverified facts to argue unsubstantiated claims that something official is actually experimental. Looks like you win...
  • Well, you got a bios which cannot be downloaded enywhere else. Amd didn´t anounce a bios which can make any 7970 into a high priced 7970ghz edition.

and now you say that i´m using unverified facts?

you must be realy trustworthy...
    edited July 2012
    null said:

Well, you got a bios which cannot be downloaded enywhere else. Amd didn´t anounce a bios which can make any 7970 into a high priced 7970ghz edition.

and now you say that i´m using unverified facts?

you must be realy trustworthy...

The file is an official BIOS. That fact cannot be refuted. It didn't come from AMD's web site because they don't host any GPU BIOS files.

Of course AMD won't say "hey guys, this BIOS can be put on your $429 card and turn it into a $499 card for free". That would be stupid from a business standpoint.

I'm still waiting for your proof that this is an experimental BIOS as well as the location of any GPU BIOS file on the AMD web site.
  • there are no biosfiles on the amd site because amd doesn´t approve biosflashing as it is risky. therefore amd would not make any bios public. and a bios that makes a 7970 to a ghz edition still less.

Therefore it only can be a leak. and so it is not official. and as it is not official it is experimental.
    also as it is experimental, it won´t work properly on some 7970.
    This is logic.

And why have i to proof sth, after you can´t proof that this bios is official.

Where did you get it from? Who did you get it from?
    I have only your word, and well, sry, but this means nothing to me.
  • for example:
    you can download an amd catalyst which is whql certified, which is tested and approved and is official,

but you also can get other catalystversions. some of them you can´t download from the amdhomepage. They are unofficial, even if they are made by amd.
  • and so is this bios. it is off course built by amd, but it is not official.
    null said:

there are no biosfiles on the amd site because amd doesn´t approve biosflashing as it is risky. therefore amd would not make any bios public. and a bios that makes a 7970 to a ghz edition still less.

You're partially correct. It's purely a business decision. AMD prefers to leave BIOS releases to manufacturers.
    null said:

Therefore it only can be a leak. and so it is not official. and as it is not official it is experimental.
    also as it is experimental, it won´t work properly on some 7970.
    This is logic.

No, this is flawed logic. The GPU manufacturers (XFX, Gigabyte, ECS, etc) produce updated BIOS files all the time. Just because AMD doesn't host those files doesn't mean it isn't official or experimental.
    null said:

And why have i to proof sth, after you can´t proof that this bios is official.

Because you're the one making the accusations. You are the one asserting this is an unofficial and experimental BIOS, yet you have not produced a single bit of hard evidence to back your statement. I have a BIOS image which, when installed to the non-write only BIOS selection on a Radeon HD 7970 will enable the same features found on a Radeon HD 7970 GHz edition.
    null said:

Where did you get it from? Who did you get it from?
    I have only your word, and well, sry, but this means nothing to me.

All I can say is that I have a reliable, trustworthy, and proven source. I cannot reveal the source's identity, and no amount of calling my integrity into question will change that.
  • as the unofficial driver are experimental, so is this bios.
    null said:

as the unofficial driver are experimental, so is this bios.

Again, faulty logic.
  • ok, does this bios work on any 7970 without problems?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    null said:

ok, does this bios work on any 7970 without problems?

It should, but some HD 7970s will not have a chip capable of running the clockspeeds of the GHz Edition. So make sure your board has a BIOS switch, or you make a backup before flashing.
  • no? so you have to make an experiment? you have to flash it and look if it works? no? so is it experimental or not?

Also gpu manufactors produce updated bios all the time, thats right. but you can´t download a bios even from a manufactors page. And if you get your bios elsenwhere and flash it, your guarantie will be voided. Only if you contact the support and get the bios from there it will be fully approved.

this bios you won´t get, even if you contact support.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    As with all autistic arguments, this has now degenerated into semantics. If it makes you happy to call it "experimental" then by all means, call it experimental. For fucks' sake, let it go.
    Done
  • hey, come on, it was just an discussion. didn´t mean anything bad.
    so thanks for the conversation.
    :)
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    that guy said:

experimental

:hrm: Not sure if you actually know what this word means...
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited July 2012
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    MAGIC said:

that guy said:

experimental

:hrm: Not sure if you actually know what this word means...
    Winfrey
  • With the price drop, this gets even better. Not sure if I should download and flash....or buy Nvidia...
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    boasist said:

With the price drop, this gets even better. Not sure if I should download and flash....or buy Nvidia...

Nvidia, solely because you love science and want to do awesome science with F@H. Or are you a pinko-commie bastard?

/s
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    AMD, because you want the world's fastest GPU for $429 and a 10-second BIOS flash. Also because you should buy my shit.
  • ive been running it without any problems for a day, i have the reference msi and runs anything smooth as silk. I didnt run it as administrator, simply double clicked it, had 2 promted reboots and that was it.
  • OK, now I need to find a home for the ol' gtx 285 here.
  • the only concern is that im getting a VDDC of 1.236v
  • it's the same problem with all of my 3 asus card...
    1.236v vdcc too hight to use 24/24 ...
  • don't know why you just don't use afterburner instead !! overclocked limits are really high (1800/2560)voltage control , temp,vram usage,fps + more monitoring options built in , my water cooled xfx black editions do 1325/1700
  • So for those who successfully flashed the bios to this GHz edition's bios, do you push the switch to no.1 or 2 before doing the flashing.
    If I'm not mistaken, no 1 is for OC and no 2 is for the standard bios. So I'm assuming I should push the switch to no 1 and then do the flashing. Am I doing it right? Thanks in advance
    Only one of the two will work. The other is write only. Worst case: you try one, it doesn't work. Turn the system off and flip the switch. The other should work.
  • So is this a hacked bios if the official 7970GHz bios won't install on an standard 7970 card?