Leaked BIOS easily turns Radeon HD 7970 into GHz Edition

13»

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Nope. It's an actual BIOS for an HD7970 GHz edition.
  • It's a flasher written by AMD to allow crossflashing the HD 7970 with the ghz edition Bios. I'm not sure why the actual bin dump of the ghz edition Bios won't flash succesfully (so the drivers can detect the card) when used with the MS DOS atiflash, though. Probably some sort of part/ID protection that isn't changed (similar to how certain Bios mods on the 6900 series cards would stop the drivers from working).
  • BTW this crossflash ALSO seems to resolve the 2d voltage/GSOD/black screen in 2D issues that started with the 12.6 and 12.7 drivers with the original 7970's, as the 2d voltage is once again 0.85v instead of 0.804v. This IS a driver bug with the older cards though, and NEEDS to be addressed by AMD asap.
  • I have a Sapphire HD 7970 reference edition! I have the switch, do I need to backup my bios, before I do the flashing? In case of anything happens, the switch alone should do the work right, if I am not mistaken?

And anyone owning a Sapphire HD 7970, can you confirm the flashing part?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    It's always a good idea to back up your BIOS before proceeding. The nice thing with the AMD GPUs here is the 0/1 BIOS switch - one of those is read-only so if you get a bad flash there's something to fall back on.
  • The card has a switch with two positions: 1 and 2. The number 2 is a read only bios, so in any case something goes wrong, the card is not going to get bricked as you can always start with the swich in that position (back up). Number 1 switch is the one allowed to be written, and therefore the position used when running the bios file above. That was my experience. In any case anyone is not shure about what hes doing, better not to do so. Better to have a slighty slow card than nothing.
  • Well I flashed my VisionTek with this "highly experimental" haha sorry..

And it works flawless. Now I didnt touch the switch. It shows 1050/1500. So unless I hit it by mistake putting it in who knows.. I don't care. It works I did benchmarks, games LOVE IT. Thanks Guys.

You know side note.. I would not have any clue how to do anything if I didn't just dive in some times.
  • I have done it and backed up my bios but I want to go back now to my old bios, and I'm using ATIwinflash and when I import .rom file it said
    Wrong ID. any idea? guys I need help to go back to my older bios. I have (Sapphire 7970 OC 950mhz)

Best regards
  • Just move the switch to the other position (PC turned OFF)
  • Hey mates.
    I might have just found a solution here as I broke my 7970 trying to do this, but gigabyte has a jumper/switch for dual bios? what do i do to flash the old bios back? either directly through the switch or with my old bios saved.

It seems I've given a bit of a rush last night when I just received my Gigabyte Ati Radeon HD 7970 OC (1ghz stock) , and tried flashing to make it into GHZ Edition (for boosted memory from 1375 to 1500)

Now, it won't boot or anything, I've tried all possible programs to flash, it also ruined both Windows 7 and Windows 8 for me, I'm trying to reinstall W7 ultimate x64 now, if there's any possibility of flashing a card that isn't recognized thoroughly (not in gpuz) not in the 2 gigabyte software - easy tune something and gigabite bios, and it won't recognize it (the bios tab grays out) , so does on the other program. in W8 ati flash ati winflash and other software apparently aren't compatible, and I don't know exactly how to make dos work on the UEFI bios motherboard Asrock Extreme4 z77. Also running a SSD raid (2x180GB Intel s-ata 3)

Can you guys please advise? I will install W7 now and need a windows or dos solution afterwards, as thorough as possible, I've just spent my 2 salaries on that videocard, so I can't take no, it's broken and also lost its waranty for an answer. I have saved the original bios (stupid me, at least that).

Thing is I've done several bios flashes so far and other 'risky' things, but all turned out just fine, so didn't know that if it wasn't a reference card would turn this way....

Please advise, I'd be a thousand times grateful.

John.