Diablo 3 Account got hacked look alive!

IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy CanadianToronto, Ontario Icrontian
edited July 2012 in Gaming
Alrighty so today I received 4 separate emails from Blizzard stating that my account was A: Suspended for offensive language in chat and B: Later deactivated until further notice. Now as you lot are the only people on my friends list for D3 if you have, in the past few days received offensive remarks from my account please let it be known that till now I have had no idea that another individual had gained access. Furthermore if any of you noticed activity from my account in the past week or so and may possibly have communicated with whoever the hell snagged my account I'd be happy to know.

As of now I've reactivated my account although I've changed every password I have, even those unassociated with my email.

Thank you in advance.

-Ilriyas

Comments

• TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    I don't play Diablo 3, but I've been getting emails from a so called "blizzard" saying I was eligible for a "Epic hearts mount", I clicked on it and luckily Norton caught it before I did. It was a key logger.
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    That's for World of warcraft by the way.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    @Theironhand Yeah I used a URL verifier on the email before I took it seriously and to double check I did log on to my D3 account, someone's definitely been on levels are changed, new characters, etc.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Remember kids, you can get a free authenticator on your phone or buy a keychain one.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I have no idea why security is such a problem with D3. You're the fourth friend I've got to have been hacked.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

I have no idea why security is such a problem with D3. You're the fourth friend I've got to have been hacked.

Its just Blizzard games in general. Huge population, higher chance of success with the same tactics.

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Tushon said:

Remember kids, you can get a free authenticator on your phone or buy a keychain one.

It's a great investment (If you get the keychain,) if you care for your Blizz accounts. I haven't been hacked since I got one a year or two ago.
    Doesn't really matter to me I've found that Blizzard games (Aside from D1 and D2) bore me immensely if I'm not playing with friends (And I'm too cheap/uninterested to play WoW) and I can't find anyone playing this so I stopped, in fact today is my first login in 2 months or something.

My only problem is/was is that if this hacker was more careful (AKA, not spamming to the point the account was locked) I could've lost the account and with a little extra work my email and everything else as well.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    The phone based authenticator has long been broken (based on observed evidence,) but with WoW, there was no real financial incentive. When 10K gold is only worth at most $18, the costs of breaking authenticators - which is very difficult - versus the costs of phishing - which is very cheap and easy - just don't make sense. Especially when the likelihood of getting an item with a higher return on investment is extremely, extremely low. (Hence why they're often quick to transfer and liquidate stolen accounts.)

RMAH completely changed the economics of the black market gold farmers. One, the only approved medium (Paypal) is notoriously opaque about fraud and very highly likely to tell a victim to go to hell. Two, the RMAH makes it not only possible but easy to "legitimately" cash out stolen accounts very quickly and profitably. Three, there's an extremely high likelihood the password for the D3 account and Paypal account are the same, meaning they can get even more cash for very little work. (And they don't need the authenticator for Paypal, either.)

Expect this to only get worse, no matter what Blizzard says and does. And they've only got themselves to blame for it. They changed the economics of theft, and the thieves aren't going to hesitate to capitalize on the new opportunities provided.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Remember my words: free to get the mobile version and not worrying about blizz getting angry at your account even if you don't use it.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    It's probably a good idea to set your PayPal password to something different than your Blizzard account. Just sayin'.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    GHoosdum said:

It's probably a good idea to set your PayPal password to something different than your Blizzard account. Just sayin'.

as well as heeding the advice of nearly everyone out there and attaching a FREE mobile authenticator or at the very least, using one of the FREE ones you can run on your pc.
    I don't believe they ever were and they certainly aren't now.
  • Rumor has it that the cool new (old) way to get passwords right now is to look for community websites where players openly list account names (like our account name thread) and then hack that community for a list of all the forum account passwords. Match 'em to the thread and hope that individual does not use unique passwords.