Unibody iPhone

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Science & Tech
If this is the new iPhone 5:

I'm surprised, frankly. They had a chance to finally bring the iPhone up to par with the modern expectation for size and thinness, but if this is it, they kind of blew it (of course, not to Apple fanatics, who will declare it god-like regardless).

TheTechBlock has a fascinating write-up on the industrial design aspects of this unibody prototype. To me, it's way too elaborate to be a hoax. It's probably close to what it's gonna end up looking like.

Honestly, my HTC One S is about as slim (it's incredibly thin) and elegant as they come right now. I think it's way more sexy than this unibody thing that Apple might be doing.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Apple has been known to produce numerous "foil" devices to fool press in the event of a leak. That said, I have high confidence that something very close to this device is what we'll see on the shelf.

I have to say it's not very, well, elegant. It looks like a step backwards in product quality from the 4S.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    The OneS is an amazing piece of hardware. It's a little dense for my tastes, but that's most likely because I've been on Samsung devices for the past 4 years almost exclusively.

That being said, I still prefer my GS3 over my iPhone, and if that's an indicator of the new design, my sentiments won't be changing. Thin, light, and massive beautiful screen win out over industrial design every time.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    My mom, who bought into the iOS ecosystem a couple years back, saw this mockup somewhere and immediately asked me, "What's the best Android phone available now/soon? If that's what the new iPhone looks like, I'll probably be leaving."

It's roughly the same design they've had for the last 2 or 3 versions, and some of their customers are noticing and getting bored.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    For whatever reason, Apple seems content with its current form factor, even as everybody around them has created better designs. But, like you said, Apple fans will no doubt gush over the (non)radical design.

My Galaxy S2, while not revolutionary, is light and thin, with an enormous display, whereas the iPhone is heavy, small, and clunky.
    The article Brian linked above also said "Apple doesn't design for aesthetics."

Really?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    doesn't matter what you think, more iphones are sold per day in the world than babies are born

personally I don't like "too thin" on cell phones. I want some weight.

BuddyJ
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Like Brian, I find the One S more interesting. But if Sony made an Android phone that was similar, I'd consider it.
    Why Sony?
    edited August 2012
    Not out of any love for their phones, but the design reminds me a little bit of Sony. It's the only non-Apple logo I can imagine on it.

No surprise, I guess, since Sony inspired some of the iPhone's design.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    I'm fine with the overall aesthetic staying the same. Like Fatcat, I like some weight to my phone and, honestly, I find even my current phone (HTC EVO 4G) to be too large to comfortably and confidently use in one hand. It's also a pain in the ass to fit into any wristlets.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    I understand why Apple made the decisions they did, but I have two major qualms about the new device: first, the screen won't be any wider than the already too narrow 4S. Second, since they are going to the trouble of changing the dock connector anyway, the fact that they are not changing to the now standard micro USB connector is criminally negligent.
    Apple denies it and fanboys rabidly defend it, but behind every switch to a new connector (see: Macbook video out) is an opportunity to sell you another overpriced accessory.

I think it was the article Prime linked that said something like "people buy new accessories with their phone, anyway." In the case of iPhones, that's total bullshit. The whole idea of the "standard" connector is that it works with all iPhone accessories, your next iPhone, and your buddy's iPhone.
    Yeah, that and "Apple doesn't design for aesthetics" smacks of Cupertino apologist.
    Great! Who wants to buy a new Steve Jobs Connecter? Or is it the Tim Cook Cable, now?