Can this video card drive 3 monitors?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited October 2012 in Hardware
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2898929&CatId=3669

I was looking at this card and the GT 640 also, for a specific purpose. If I were to build another PC for a certain use, I'd be running about 6 monitors on it, most likely 17 to 20 inches, either 4:3 or widescreen. 3D gaming graphics would not be a big issue in this case.

I have my older P45 chipset Gigabyte motherboard with its Core 2 Duo E7300, and it has 2 PCI-E slots and runs fine, so if I can get 6 monitors onto 2 fairly low cost GPUs, it'd probably do fine for me. I could always upgrade if needed but would like to avoid too much expense at one time.

I see this graphics card has 2 DVI ports and an HDMI. My question is, can all 3 be used at once? I was not able to find a clear answer on this anywhere. I'm sure it can run one or 2 monitors just fine, but what about 3?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    No. If you want an inexpensive 3-monitor GPU, you need a Radeon. DVI+VGA+DisplayPort, DVI+DVI+DisplayPort, DVI+HDMI+DisplayPort or DP+DP+DP configurations support 3 monitors.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Pretty sure the GeForce 600 series *does not* need displayport for 3 monitors if run in 2D
    Support for up to 4 independent 2D displays
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_600_Series
    In 2D Surround, gamers can use any of the four display connectors to power their Surround setup
    http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround/#1

Actually, I can test this on my setup right now, brb while I plug the Displayport monitor into the HDMI

The cheapest 600 series card is $105 though so that might not be what you want
    Anything below 650 is not a real 600 Series. It's rebranded from 500 Series, and their low-end parts don't support 3 displays.
    Confirmed

I am running 3 monitors on a GTX 670 HDMI | DVI | DVI right now
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Thrax is confirmed in that analysis.
    Thrax said:

Anything below 650 is not a real 600 Series. It's rebranded from 500 Series, and their low-end parts don't support 3 displays.

Gotcha. Yea the 660 starts at $200, nevermind then lol

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    I found a few video cards on tiger direct like this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=671449&csid=_61

These use those freaky looking DMS-59 or VHDCI connectors. They support 4 monitors on DVI or VGA, depending on the exact model. Too weird for me, I'll find a motherboard with 3 PCI-E slots and just get 3 cheap dual DVI cards.

And I wasn't able to fully tell from the descriptions, but some mentioned playing games across 4 monitors. For my purposes, each monitor would need to have its own independent display.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    you don't need one with that crazy dongle. just find a recent radeon card that has 3 outputs. it'll be cheaper than finding 3 shitty pcie cards.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    You're becoming a gold farmer, aren't you...?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    ~$110 for a brand new [insert brand name] Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition with such features as:
    AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology1
    Up to 6 displays supported
    Independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls, and video overlays
    Display grouping
    Combine multiple displays to behave like a single large display

Don't say I never did you a kindness. Don't buy into some weird, nitch tech.

Approved dongles.
    I like how he ignored everyone's advice and came up with an even more elaborate, expensive and dysfunctional solution than his initial proposal.
    Tushon
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    He wouldn't be Tim if he took advice from people.
    TushonThrax
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Thrax said:

I like how he ignored everyone's advice and came up with an even more elaborate, expensive and dysfunctional solution than his initial proposal.

I always thought that was like the 'essence' of Tim or something. Taking sound, reasonable advice and completely throwing it upon its arse.
    TushonThraxfatcat
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

You're becoming a gold farmer, aren't you...?

he wants to watch all the deal sites to find deals on Wiis to sell them at a profit.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    Prime and shwaip - none of the above!

I appreciate the tips and ways of looking at it, I just need to do this with minimal cost, and ultimate 3D graphics quality isn't as important in this case. I thought of a 5870 Eyefinity with the 6 Mini display ports, but by the time you add up the cost of the card, 6 adapters to plug in DVI cables (minidisplayport monitors are an unnecessary expense), and all that, it becomes quite costly.