Liquid cooling project: The build

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited October 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    You _need_ an additive. Your DI water stopped being DI as soon as you put it in the loop. There are plenty of contaminants in/on your components.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Didn't realize that. The water is already out of the lines now, and I have the Ice Dragon coolant flowing. Ice Dragon doesn't require an additive, so I'll keep it in mind if I put water back in.
    Also, what cpu are you using? If it's an Ivy Bridge, people are seeing pretty good results from removing the heat spreader and swapping out the thermal past.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    If you have different metals contacting the water in your in your loop (e.g. stainless block, copper fittings), you're also going to want a sacrificial anode in your reservoir to avoid galvanic corrosion of a bimetallic loop.
    Thrax said:

If you have different metals contacting the water in your in your loop (e.g. stainless block, copper fittings), you're also going to want a sacrificial anode in your reservoir to avoid galvanic corrosion of a bimetallic loop.

I'm using copper and nickel. The two should play well together.
    shwaip said:

Also, what cpu are you using? If it's an Ivy Bridge, people are seeing pretty good results from removing the heat spreader and swapping out the thermal past.

Core i7 2600K. The CPU PLL voltage is bumped up by either 0.02V or 0.2V (I'm not at the computer at the moment and can't remember which it is), which allowed 4.8GHz. I'd imagine a couple more voltage tweaks would allow more speed, but I haven't taken the time to figure that out.
    Almost forgot, the other reason to use an additive in your loop is it cuts down on the "things are growing in my loop" probability.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    I recommend you use a silver coil (antimicrobial .999) w/ your distilled water & no additives.

They can found at most watercooling shops online.

http://www.petrastechshop.com/sikibyia.html
  • I used a silver coil along with some biocide, probably overkill but I can't complain currently.

Also I would have went with compression fittings over barbs all day. Easier to use, less chance of leakage and they end up looking better.