windows 7 is absolutely rediculous.

ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
edited February 2013 in Science & Tech
so finally, after years of using xp, i've decided to finally upgrade to win7. the 4gb ram limit was no longer cutting it for me as a power user so i made several upgrades:

1. changed ram from kingston to (4x2gb) = 8gb ddr2 crucial xms2's
2. changed dual core amd cpu to x4 615e quadcore cpu.
3. added sapphire flex 2gb 7870 pcie gpu
4. installed 2xwestern digital caviar blues into a 640gb raid0 configuration (2xwd3200aajs)

so i install windows 7, and immediately take out the swap file. i perform a windows update 2 f***in days ago. it says "163 updates and 2 days ago its only on update 32!" h**y f**k. come on microsoft, those are NOT bad specs compared to the rest of the world. its been 2 days since i've been able to use my pc. and the updates are still not done. i also checked my swapfile, (which i disabled earlier) and it is now stating there is a 23gb swap file...for what? what does a completely zeroed fresh and clean win7 ultimate install need a f*****g 23gb swap for? i want to strangle those software engineers at ms. i'm glad steam has made the bold move of trying to port their platform to linux because this is just madness.

anyone else want to comment?

what the f**k is microsoft doing? completely unbelievable.

Comments

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    Microsoft products are the workhorse of the computer world, but at times they are just a dern mule. Unfortunately unlike a mule you can't shoot an operating system when it gets annoying!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    *ridiculous
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    That's bluediculous! But why didn't you apply SP1 first?
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    Kwitko said:

That's bluediculous! But why didn't you apply SP1 first?

i'll try that. however, when my system did hang, i attempted to try a chkdsk, before installing any more updates and it ate all 8gb of ram. i checked google if that was normal, and it appears that m$ says that it only happens with the /r flag. i ran it without the r flag and still the same thing. what is with m$? what are they smoking? yeah you're right 3 years of patches, should try sp1 first.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    midga
  • The swap file is auto adjusting itself based on how much free disk space you have and isn't necessarily in use. It's there if your programs need it. If you want to change the size of it, you can. Once you get everything running, you will probably like Win7 but I understand your pain.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    It might be time to upgrade from the 9600 baud modem, too. I hear 19200 is lightning fast.

Seriously, though, I set up a Win7 machine from scratch just a few months ago. I was up and running in about an hour. It updated in the background, so that wasn't an issue.

I may not be as smart as our resident rocket scientist, but it seems to me like you might be doin' it wrong.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I don't know what you're doing to your PC, but it ain't right, that's for sure.
  • The swap file is auto adjusting itself based on how much free disk space you have and isn't necessarily in use. It's there if your programs need it. If you want to change the size of it, you can. Once you get everything running, you will probably like Win7 but I understand your pain.

Actually, the swap file algorithm works like this in fact:
    while (DRAM less-than-or-equal-to 8GB); swap = 2 * DRAM;; if swap utilization exceed 90% increase in 128MB increments
    while (DRAM greater-than 8GB); swap = DRAM;; if swap utilization exceed 90% increase in 1024MB increments
    On Windows 7, other than selecting WHERE you put the swap file, you should always let the system manage the size. Note that no matter what, the hibernation file (HIBERFIL.SYS) will always be at least 75% of DRAM (so minimum 6GB for 8GB, 9GB for 12GB, and so on) and will ALWAYS be on %SystemDrive%.

Hitting 23GB of swap means you did something wrong. I can't even get up to 23GB utilized on 24GB of memory with 48GB allocated via VMware Workstation.
    midga
  • *ridiculous

And we can all thank @snarkasm for teaching us this.
    pigflipper
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

*ridiculous

No, man. It's diculous, again.
    midga
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

*ridiculous

And we can all thank @snarkasm for teaching us this.
    I can absolutely live with this being my legacy on Icrontic.
    pigflipper
    i installed sp1 first, and it worked. apparently when i tried to update windows, i checked all the language packs as well, 34 of them to be exact, some of which are over 200mb in size....so i reformatted again, reinstalled windows7, and installed sp1 first and updated in the background without all the language packs and its great, apart from the chkdisk /r switch and a few hopefully minor things i can live with like all the submenus just to find one feature.

other than that, on normal usage i average 2gb used on startup after drivers, updates and software and about 3.98gb on average, which is wierd, pretty low mem usage i was expecting far higher. seems my ram usage doesn't go past 4gb (even though this is w7 ultimate x64 and it detects all the 8gb ram installed after the swapfile on the hdd was disabled)...when i use photoshop though thats the only time my mem usage spikes to 7gb. weird. anyways, i'm liking w7, but why the chkdsk /r thing? still gets me to this day.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    h**y f**k

Holy fork?
    TiberiusLazarus
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    re: chkdsk /r

It's not weird at all, as the computer wants to get through that process as quickly as possible, so it uses as much memory as it can to do so. This is why it is easier to run chkdsk /r on reboots (so you don't get antsy and you aren't using resources that could be better utilized by the system).
    Tushon said:

re: chkdsk /r

It's not weird at all, as the computer wants to get through that process as quickly as possible, so it uses as much memory as it can to do so. This is why it is easier to run chkdsk /r on reboots (so you don't get antsy and you aren't using resources that could be better utilized by the system).

yes i know about that too. what if you have an external, that you want to check for errors, what then? the point i am trying to make is the option should not be enabled by default. in xp, i don't care if one of my friends gives me their external just to check if its still ok or i check one of my own that's not a system disk. i'd rather have the choice to eat up my memory or not 'cause i really want to use my computer while chkdsk is running for an hour or two.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Well, there are probably ways to limit that, but you can do research if that is needed in the future. I've never had a problem letting windows self-manage and still use my PC while checking a disk.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    Perhaps rename the thread "Windows 7 is absolutely ridiculous is you need to install all the world's languages"? Hehe
    Thrax