Shared folder wont resolve for IP, but will for Netbios, why?

edited January 2013 in Science & Tech
On one of the servers where I work, a shared folder stopped working. I could not reach it typing in the IP address, but COULD when typing the netbios name. Anyone have any insight into this?

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Going to need more details.

What OS(es) is/are involved? Is there DNS in play? Can IPs be pinged in either/both directions? Is there a firewall/VPN between machines? Have both machines been rebooted?

Those will give us a start.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    ip change maybe?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Who gives a server a dynamic IP???? Some doctor you are, @shwaip. This happened once to a Win2K server of mine. Try this and see if it helps: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/79475-can-access-share-by-netbios-name-but-not-by-ip-address?page=1#entry-244104
  • It happened randomly , but only 1/10 servers had this issue. Ip's CAN be pinged in both directions as of current.. but prior, pinging the IP did not work, though pinging the netbios did.
    and for the record, it is not dynamic.. not an ip change lol. It is a win2k server. As of now it appears to be resolved (happened 4 days ago, must have been fixed in the past hour)