Google Glass

2»

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

What could be more insular than looking AWAY from someone and at your phone instead?

Looking at them and not seeing them.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I disagree.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    1. Just look at korea, those dudes wear thick ass black frame glasses sometimes without even lenses.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

2. i'm gonna make some more numbers because it looks cooler

3. exactly

1. Could you back that stat up? I think a great many people wear glasses on purpose... they're very fashionable.

It wasn't a stat, it was a cultural observation. But OK:

1 million people per year get lasik eye surgery
    ~33 million in the United States wear contact lenses

That's a whole lotta people spending a lot of time and energy to work around glasses.
    edited February 2013
    Winfrey said:

1. Just look at korea, those dudes wear thick ass black frame glasses sometimes without even lenses.

And I bet both of those people would be interested in Glass.

I'm not suggesting there is no market. I'm saying it won't succeed in the mass consumer market.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I agree that it won't succeed in the consumer market right now, but when the price comes down to the <$300 level or so, it will.

I agree that it won't succeed in the consumer market right now, but when the price comes down to the

"Right now"? They're not even on sale, so of course we're assuming in the future where they don't cost $1500 after you win a lottery. You could give them away free with new phone contracts and you still won't ever see your family walking down the street in them. It's not a cost problem, it's a culture problem.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Have you seen kids under 18? They don't even talk to each other, I don't think you're going to have a problem selling them a set of glasses that allows them to do everything from their phone without looking down.

Have you seen kids under 18?

Dude. What? Where do I live?
    JBoogaloo
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Perry and Kyle are not typical. I have 5 nephews that are between 8 and 17. They don't communicate face to face with friends.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    When i go out to eat, i see teens talking to each other through texts across the table. I am sure google glass would be an upgrade for them ;)
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I agree they won't sell like tablets/ phones, but I definitely think people will want them.

I always assume I'm going to be recorded nowadays anyway.
    Future!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Everyone just bookmark this thread... when Apple releases their augmented reality product and Linc has one within a week of it being released and is posting about how mind blowlingly revolutionary awesome it is.... just respond with a link to this thread... then time how long it takes him to delete the whole thread
    midga
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Um, lots of folks spend money to look like they do not need glasses, perhaps in part to appear not visually handicapped or to not have to wear things that hurt their nose.

I got lense implants, and the surgeon tweaked my eyeballs to round and smooth their shapes, but I was going blind with cataracts. I still wear glasses for some things, but don't if I don't have to wear them.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    What also needs to be considered is that these are basically the first generation of this wearable technology. What happens to tech as it matures? It will become lighter, faster, and in all likelihood even less obtrusive than its current form. When these devices become 1/10th the weight of your phone, can do all the same functionality as your phone, and don't require your hands to use - they will likely become the common choice over the handheld communication device.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    And to take the idea one step further, do you think folks would be any more inclined to use it if it were to be fitted into the form factor of a contact lens?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Aren't there already headphones on the market that conduct sound via contact with the bone behind your ear? Seems like if you added that technology into the glasses bit, you'd have an amazing device. Also, it would basically be the predecessor of the CODEC and Soliton RADAR display in Metal Gear Solid... which would be AWESOME. Except the whole Metal Gear part.

BRB, going back to playing Guns of the Patriots.
    ardichoke said:

then time how long it takes him to delete the whole thread

Just your rude trolling.
    AnnesmidgaJBoogaloo

What also needs to be considered is that these are basically the first generation of this wearable technology. What happens to tech as it matures?

Well, then someone might buy it. I'm not broadly arguing against wearable tech, I'm saying this product will not appeal to our non-geeky brethren.

Hell, maybe Google needs to release this just to see if they can collect enough data from enough of you to iterate into something that does have mass-market appeal, or to sell more ads in places we're not desensitized to already. Can't wait to see what happens when they cross-reference Google Glass data with AdSense.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

Aren't there already headphones on the market that conduct sound via contact with the bone behind your ear? Seems like if you added that technology into the glasses bit, you'd have an amazing device.

Yes, Aftershockz makes several such headphones now. One is also Bluetooth enabled. Theirs all sit in front of the ear, but I believe the concept is the same. They work rather well and I'd love to see something like that implemented with Glass.