Latest windows update broke steam?

I updated my windows 7 last night and when I booted up to try and log onto steam it just comes up with the connection errors window, Origin was doing the same as well. I've tried rebooting multiple times, doing full power cycles at the computer and the router as well as running my cable into all 4 ports and connecting wirelessly. Everything worked perfectly fine until that update and everything but those 2 programs works fine now.

Am I the only one having this problem? I'm going to run a system restore to take me back to before the update and see if that fixes it. Will post upon return with my findings.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Look at logs to see what the error actually is? Should be under Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Applications
  • jumpstylerzjumpstylerz Member
    edited February 2013
    What am I looking for in there exactly? The system restore did nothing and now my chrome seems to be fucking up (keeps not loading pages for about 10 minutes when the connection is reset) I just want to play some games D:
    I would install the update, then manually update your NIC drivers since rolling back seemed to make it worse. Lots of potential culprits.
  • So I re-installed the update and updated my Ethernet adapter's drivers and I couldn't access any internet services at all, even after multiple restarts. After rolling back the driver I gained internet capabilities but still no game services. I should also add that I installed Team Viewer yesterday as well, could that have anything to do with it?
    Unlikely, but your results are ... odd. :/
  • It's really getting annoying not being able to perform basic functions I usually do, can anyone lend some assistance? If there is any information I can provide to help.
  • Bumping in hopes that someone can help me
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Not sure what would cause your problems. Have you run a few malware scans? You also might consider doing some hardware diagnostics. I know it would be weird for hardware to be affecting only a few programs, but I've seen weirder. You can also watch the live diagnostics in Windows 7 to see what's going on with your system when you run particular programs and such. You might have to reinstall Steam and whatever else seems affected.

If none of that works or turns up anything, or you need advice on any of these suggestions, post with as much detail as you can.

Good luck!
  • Are you using a proxy? Check in your Internet Options. That would cause all the issues you describe.
    midgaTushon
  • I think teamviewer is the suspect. It's fine software, but I think it opens a couple ports with permission, may have accessed other settings Steam depends on? Not sure exactly what or how, but it seems like the most likely suspect to me. Disable it and see if anything improves.

I think teamviewer is the suspect. It's fine software, but I think it opens a couple ports with permission, may have accessed other settings Steam depends on? Not sure exactly what or how, but it seems like the most likely suspect to me. Disable it and see if anything improves.

It's just rather unlikely, assuming he installed it from teamviewer.com, with valid cert etc. I'd more likely suspect he's got a virus, possibly a fake windows update, before teamviewer (assuming legit). I've used teamviewer for years and experienced precisely zero symptoms.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I am an avid TeamViewer and Steam user (for years), and I would argue that it's very unlikely to be a conflict there.
  • I'm of the mindset that you do the easiest most pain free things in troubleshooting first. Disabling team viewer from start up and re booting would qualify as a fairly painless troubleshooting step compared to running multiple hardware diagnostics.
    No one suggested H/W diagnostics. :D

Checking for proxy or viruses is equally as easy.
  • jumpstylerzjumpstylerz Member
    edited February 2013
    What should I use to do H/W diagnostics? I'm not much in the know of that kind of things, Also I ran scans with AVG and TrendMicro HouseCall. I've uninstalled TeamViewer but with no avail. I've also tried re-installing steam but it's still unable to connect. I think I had this problem before and it was a DNS error but I've set all my DNS options manually as well as automatically with no difference so it may not be it this time. Also I tried playing a few non steam games (namely smite and tribes ascend) but they are also having the same problem, it seems to be affecting everything but my web browsers
    What are you setting your DNS manually to and why?
  • I got them from my ipconfig last time this happened and when I set them manually it fixed all my problems but that didn't work this time. After the latest restart my computer isn't even connecting to the network, nor is it detecting that the cable is plugged in. Any ideas?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I got them from my ipconfig last time this happened and when I set them manually it fixed all my problems but that didn't work this time. After the latest restart my computer isn't even connecting to the network, nor is it detecting that the cable is plugged in. Any ideas?

Cable is unplugged from the router

Rat chewed through cable

Basically the computer is not getting power over the cable. Is there an indicator light on your NIC normally? if so is it on now?

Maybe try a different cable and/or a different port on your router.

-Digi
  • Could also just be a shit driver, did you try reverting your nic driver from device manager to the last version?
    Tushon said:

Actually, I did. That's okay, though. Always good to double up on good suggestions ;)

What should I use to do H/W diagnostics? I'm not much in the know of that kind of things, Also I ran scans with AVG and TrendMicro HouseCall. I've uninstalled TeamViewer but with no avail. I've also tried re-installing steam but it's still unable to connect. I think I had this problem before and it was a DNS error but I've set all my DNS options manually as well as automatically with no difference so it may not be it this time. Also I tried playing a few non steam games (namely smite and tribes ascend) but they are also having the same problem, it seems to be affecting everything but my web browsers

I'd start with a MemTest86+ boot cd and run that a few passes. I'd also try HDTune to check out your hard drive. I'm sure there's better programs out there, but I haven't had to do this sort of thing in a while. Other ICs might have more useful suggestions.

It's also possible you've got some nasty NAT stuff or port stuff or something going on from your provider. Are you the primary customer for your ISP account, or are you going through an intermediary? You might check up on that and see if they've made any changes or restrictions. Alternative, you could put another computer on that same network and try to do the same thing. If you're having the same problem, the issue isn't your computer. If not, it is.

You say you ran both AVG and TrendMicro. You don't have more than one active scanner installed on your computer, do you (active being something like Norton or McAffee, passive being something like SpyBot or MalwareBytes that you have to tell to run and doesn't check things in the background)? Also, I'd recommend you run at least MalwareBytes Anti-Malware as well as it tends to be a pretty good scan.

You could also potentially rule out hardware by trying to do stuff with a Linux (probably Ubuntu) live cd/usb. You could even, theoretically, install Steam and (assuming you can get the games to run) see if you're having the same issues. Again, if you have the problems, it's probably not software related. If you don't, it likely is.

Good luck!
  • There is a light on the NIC at the moment but only the single orange light. I've tried all the router ports and checked the entire length of the cable. I'm going to try a new cable when I get home. I can't roll back my drivers as I'm on the lowest driver version and updating causes the connection to hang on resolving and never get any further
    midga said:

Tushon said:

Actually, I did. That's okay, though. Always good to double up on good suggestions ;)
    Whoops! I guess I missed that. Take backsies to both you and @CliffForster

jumpstylerz, the fact that updating your driver causes it to hang means you are either using the wrong driver or something is really wrong on the software side (most likely). What mobo do you have?
    PirateNinja
  • Asus sabertooth Z77 with an Intel i5 3570
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/SABERTOOTH_Z77/#support_Download_30

You can use the LAN driver off that page, latest version. While you're there, you can get latest drivers for other stuff downloaded as well.

You can try sfc /scannow to verify some key windows stuff isn't corrupt (from elevated command prompt).

Run Malwarebyte's full scan and combofix to verify you aren't under a virus issue. Just follow the instructions on combofix precisely.

Be aware the best solution at the end of this may be a re-install of Windows, since you are having multiple, possibly conflicting issues. I would take some time now to backup your steam folder and any important stuff on there.
  • That driver wouldn't install Tushon, it says I have a newer version of said drivers from the intel website (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18713&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows 7 *&DownloadType=Drivers) SFC returned nothing, MBAM returned nothing and I have yet to try combofix. I honestly am stumped. I have also tried a repair install and a new cable.
  • I also don't think it's a driver related issue, it almost seems like connection is being blocked at either my firewall or the router as even with new ports and trying a wireless dongle there is no change in it's behavior. I've tried disabling my firewall as well as temporarily disabling my virus package but still no luck.
  • Can you remove the router and connect to the modem directly?
    Try this:
    download ubuntu or any other boot disk/OS with a browser built in.
    Put it on a CD/USB
    Boot from it
    Test internet access

If it works, the problem is your Windows install and at this point, without being in front of it and working on it myself, I find it hard to advise anything but backup/reinstall. If it does not work, then the problem is either hardware on your machine or something between you and the internet.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Did you ever check to see if you have a proxy in place?
    midga