Latest windows update broke steam?

Comments

• Can you remove the router and connect to the modem directly?

I have a combined router and modem so that's not possible

Tushon said:

Try this:
    download ubuntu or any other boot disk/OS with a browser built in.
    Put it on a CD/USB
    Boot from it
    Test internet access

If it works, the problem is your Windows install and at this point, without being in front of it and working on it myself, I find it hard to advise anything but backup/reinstall. If it does not work, then the problem is either hardware on your machine or something between you and the internet.

I have kubuntu installed and it has the same problem but I can essentially "Brute Force" it by constantly retrying and that seems to work but not on the windows. I also find it hard to be a hardware problem considering I've tried with a new mobo as well (same actuall mobo but a brand new one to check for a fault) and that also has the same error

Did you ever check to see if you have a proxy in place?

Private home network, so no proxy.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Do you have another device that can connect to the network for testing? Might help determine whether it's the modem/router or the computer.
  • mertesn said:

Do you have another device that can connect to the network for testing? Might help determine whether it's the modem/router or the computer.

I installed steam on another computer in our house and that is having the problem but only sometimes, as with linux if I keep trying to connect eventually it does. But on my windows it doesn't seem to want to do that

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    Just clarifying, you have internet functionality with your browsers and such, just not steam? Can you ping google from terminal?
  • Sonorous said:

Just clarifying, you have internet functionality with your browsers and such, just not steam? Can you ping google from terminal?

I have access to browsers and things like skype, emails and my youtube downloader just not for any of my games. I can even update the games through their launcher perfectly fine (smite, tribes, Bad Company 2, ect.) It's just actually connecting to the account for the game doesn't work. It's really baffling me.I also can't seem to ping google, facebook or youtube with CMD but I can ping them with terminal on kubuntu.
  • I still think it's very possible you have a proxy set, whether directly through Internet Options or a third party software.

If that really isn't the case, can you try using some different DNS servers? IE. try using Google's free to use DNS or OpenDNS.

What happens if you do this in a command prompt, can you paste the output here?:
    tracert google.com
  • I still think it's very possible you have a proxy set, whether directly through Internet Options or a third party software.

If that really isn't the case, can you try using some different DNS servers? IE. try using Google's free to use DNS or OpenDNS.

What happens if you do this in a command prompt, can you paste the output here?:
    tracert google.com

I've only checked the proxy settings through the LAN settings window, is there anywhere else I should look? And will me changing my DNS server affect any other computers on the network. I'm not very knowledgeable in the networking sector of IT (yet) so these things are rather foreign to me.

As for the Tracert command, here is the output
    C:\Users\Sean>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [74.125.237.142]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 * * * Request timed out.
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Are your "manual" DNS setting done at the router also?
  • What I mean suggest is you change the DNS servers ONLY on your problematic computer. It won't hurt any other systems.
    You need to get to that screen. On the bottom check "use the following dns server addresses"

Then type in these two IPs:

Apply and close the windows.

Then try to ping google.com again. If it still fails, we can at least rule DNS out as the issue. To set your DNS back, just go back to the same settings dialog and put it back on obtain automatically.

====

As far as other proxies, basically any "annonymous browsing" software causes you to use a proxy. So if you have any of that installed, remove it and try pinging Google again.
  • Tushon said:

Are your "manual" DNS setting done at the router also?

I used the DNS settings from the router to manually set my addresses.

What I mean suggest is you change the DNS servers ONLY on your problematic computer. It won't hurt any other systems.

Then type in these two IPs:

Apply and close the windows.

Then try to ping google.com again. If it still fails, we can at least rule DNS out as the issue. To set your DNS back, just go back to the same settings dialog and put it back on obtain automatically.

====

As far as other proxies, basically any "annonymous browsing" software causes you to use a proxy. So if you have any of that installed, remove it and try pinging Google again.

I tried those DNS settings and no change in behavior both over wireless and cable so now we know it isn't that. It does sound a lot like a proxy now that I think about it but the only new thing I have gotten around the time that this occurred was team viewer so unless that did something. Even if it did do something that should have disappeared when I removed the program right? I also don't have any anonymous browsing software of any kind on my computer so it isn't that.
  • Well we are making progress, and it doesn't sound like you have a proxy. TeamViewer wouldn't cause these issues.
    Can you do this in cmd?

cd c:\
    ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt

Then paste the contents of c:\ipconfig.txt here?
  • Well we are making progress, and it doesn't sound like you have a proxy. TeamViewer wouldn't cause these issues.
    Can you do this in cmd?

cd c:\
    ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt

Then paste the contents of c:\ipconfig.txt here?

There we go

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Sean-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 30-85-A9-99-BC-22
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-2A-EF-7D-00
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::99d9:6ef7:7828:9b67%12(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, 27 February 2013 11:47:35 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, 28 February 2013 3:12:14 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 301997610
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-D5-8C-1B-BC-AE-C5-7C-4F-9B
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 61.9.211.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{CE815A51-0F62-4F42-A86B-12A4285F1870}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{13D06856-8AC4-48F0-8847-9A753372B79D}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6ab8:145b:2937:3f57:fffd(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::145b:2937:3f57:fffd%13(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Ok, so your cable is unplugged, right? If not right, bad cable or router/modem. If plugged in cable, unplug cable, restart computer leaving cable unplugged, and redo the tracert to google.com please, see if it works. Let us know either way.
  • Ok, so your cable is unplugged, right? If not right, bad cable or router/modem. If plugged in cable, unplug cable, restart computer leaving cable unplugged, and redo the tracert to google.com please, see if it works. Let us know either way.

yeah the cable is unplugged, I'll restart in a moment leaving the cable unplugged and use the wireless. I'll get back to you in about an hour on the result.
  • Restarting the computer with the cable unplugged had no effect. Neither did that driver.
  • jumpstylerzjumpstylerz Member
    edited February 2013
    So I bit the bullet and called our ISP, she was useless and all she did was send a technician out, so unless I find a way to fix it I'm stuck with this until the 6th of march -.-. I checked on the other computers as well, and it turns out they are all having the same problems, it's also developed into intermittent drop outs a fairly noticeable loss in speed. I tried Pinging google and using Tracert google on all computers and all returned the same result.

I was also snooping around a bit inside my router settings and found that my default gateway and subnet mask were displaying significantly different values to the ipconfig. I attempted to manually set these but doing that would just net me no connection to the network at all via wired or wireless.

despite feeling slower it's actually faster than before this error with me usually hitting ~90-95 Mbps to now hitting ~115-125 Mbps. It's also ~10-15 Mbps faster on all our wireless devices. This just keeps getting more and more baffling
    Sorry, but what the ipconfig /all showed was that you had multiple connects going. Windows 7 does not know what to use in this case unless you a) run Windows 7's Network Troubleshooter or b) restart computer.

At this point I think Steam might not work with your Wireless well, but have no way to definitively test that here. I think you almost need to reinstall Steam after backing up everything except Steam settings for networking. BUT, NO PROMISES, sorry. Could even be that you need a Steam update.
  • One quick note, your routers tcp/ip settings should never be the same as your computers. As you learn more about networking that will make sense, but in essence your computers gateway addresses will be your router's address.

Really sorry about all the trouble, here is what I would do if you can wait it out:
    Buy a nice consumer router, expect to spend maybe $70.
    When your technician comes out, ask him to put your current modem/router in to modem only mode and to set it up with your nice router.

ISP provided modem/router solutions often aren't the best, especially when you have a lot of computers/devices using the router. Since you have problems on all systems, and the router is really your common stumbling block, I think that would help you a lot.
  • One quick note, your routers tcp/ip settings should never be the same as your computers. As you learn more about networking that will make sense, but in essence your computers gateway addresses will be your router's address.

Really sorry about all the trouble, here is what I would do if you can wait it out:
    When your technician comes out, ask him to put your current modem/router in to modem only mode and to set it up with your nice router.

ISP provided modem/router solutions often aren't the best, especially when you have a lot of computers/devices using the router. Since you have problems on all systems, and the router is really your common stumbling block, I think that would help you a lot.

I would do this but cable modems aren't commercially available in Australia so I literally can't do it. Also thanks for the tip about settings being different.

Sorry, but what the ipconfig /all showed was that you had multiple connects going. Windows 7 does not know what to use in this case unless you a) run Windows 7's Network Troubleshooter or b) restart computer.

At this point I think Steam might not work with your Wireless well, but have no way to definitively test that here. I think you almost need to reinstall Steam after backing up everything except Steam settings for networking. BUT, NO PROMISES, sorry. Could even be that you need a Steam update.

Restarted multiple times, and all other connections are disabled meaning it's not a problem there. I've reinstalled steam all fine but I still can't connect. I've also run the trouble shooter multiple times. I'm no longer using the wireless connection as there is no need to so there won't be any conflicting with that either. It's also not just affecting steam but rather ALL game servers. I can launch games all fine until I have to log in, I've even been able to update two of my games via their launchers but it's just not letting me log in. Even minecraft is doing it. It's really strange, I've never heard of anything like this happening before.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

One quick note, your routers tcp/ip settings should never be the same as your computers. As you learn more about networking that will make sense, but in essence your computers gateway addresses will be your router's address.

I would do this but cable modems aren't commercially available in Australia so I literally can't do it. Also thanks for the tip about settings being different

He's not saying "get a new modem". He's saying buy a router, and have your ISP disable the router functions in the modem you have.

• Thrax said:

One quick note, your routers tcp/ip settings should never be the same as your computers. As you learn more about networking that will make sense, but in essence your computers gateway addresses will be your router's address.

I would do this but cable modems aren't commercially available in Australia so I literally can't do it. Also thanks for the tip about settings being different

He's not saying "get a new modem". He's saying buy a router, and have your ISP disable the router functions in the modem you have.

Oh true. I derped and misread. Either way I unfortunately can't make that call, it's all up to my dad but I shall suggest that to him. Thanks for the help

• I would do this but cable modems aren't commercially available in Australia so I literally can't do it. Also thanks for the tip about settings being different.

You don't need a modem, you just need a router.

The technician that comes out can put your current "modem/router" in to what is called "bridge mode" where it literally disables the router portion of your "modem/router" and sends your Internet signal through to your new router. So only the modem portion of it will be used.

Your new router then shares and moves the data around with all your devices, with the hope that it does it far more efficiently than the current combo modem/router.

You can talk to the ISP/technician more about it. That's how most tech heads do it here, because it allows you to install a real quality router not just the one the ISP contracted in bulk to max their profit even though it drops a ton of packets if more than 3 computers connect to it.

I wish we could be there to help you out, this seems to have been quite the ongoing mess of a problem =(

• I would do this but cable modems aren't commercially available in Australia so I literally can't do it. Also thanks for the tip about settings being different.

You don't need a modem, you just need a router.

The technician that comes out can put your current "modem/router" in to what is called "bridge mode" where it literally disables the router portion of your "modem/router" and sends your Internet signal through to your new router. So only the modem portion of it will be used.

Your new router then shares and moves the data around with all your devices, with the hope that it does it far more efficiently than the current combo modem/router.

You can talk to the ISP/technician more about it. That's how most tech heads do it here, because it allows you to install a real quality router not just the one the ISP contracted in bulk to max their profit even though it drops a ton of packets if more than 3 computers connect to it.

I wish we could be there to help you out, this seems to have been quite the ongoing mess of a problem =(
    Yeah, I also noticed that it fell into line with my monthly data usage being reset (yeah, they cap data over here) so that might have something to do with it as well. Also I actually noticed the bridge mode setting in my router's config so I don't think I'd need the tech to do that seeing as it gives pretty good instructions on how to set it up.
    Unfortunately, this forum is in US. So, lots of the folks who hang here are from US or Canada.

Here, gaming is good and big and popular enough that most ISPs do not block its ports. A port block or server delisting of DNS can cause this kind of thing, but it is so rare here we leave that for last. Looks like your ISP is packet inspecting and not allowing certain servers to be connected to or certain packets addressed to certain ports are being trashed by ISPs before they can reach remote servers. (Yes, this can now be done by ISPs programming ISP routers.).

It happens even here for some things, though here it is peer-to-peer sharing of files that is being more and more blocked as something that encourages piracy according to folks who are sensitive about copyrights and such.

I see your dilemna, but do not know how to help you from here in Florida, USA. SORRY!
  • Unfortunately, this forum is in US. So, lots of the folks who hang here are from US or Canada.

Here, gaming is good and big and popular enough that most ISPs do not block its ports. A port block or server delisting of DNS can cause this kind of thing, but it is so rare here we leave that for last. Looks like your ISP is packet inspecting and not allowing certain servers to be connected to or certain packets addressed to certain ports are being trashed by ISPs before they can reach remote servers. (Yes, this can now be done by ISPs programming ISP routers.).

It happens even here for some things, though here it is peer-to-peer sharing of files that is being more and more blocked as something that encourages piracy according to folks who are sensitive about copyrights and such.

I see your dilemna, but do not know how to help you from here in Florida, USA. SORRY!

I very highly doubt that this is the case, not to mention that people who live literally right next door to me on the same ISP and modem as me are having no problems whatsoever, this is an isolated incident that I believe is just our hardware in the house being a PoS. to be completely honest as well, gaming is fairly large in australia too, and the major ISP here who actually owns all the lines for digital media and rents them out to other service providers hosts servers for many games including CounterStrike, Battlefield 3 and a few less popular games like PlanetSide 2 and Blacklight: Retribution. Gaming in australia is a lot larger than most think.

edited February 2013
    In that case, best of luck with a tech from the ISP helping. I have too little relevant information to help more, sorry.
  • Just an update on my situation. We got the tech out and he replaced the Gateway which fixed the all the issues on our network. As for going onto a bridged router solution, what brands/models do you recommend?
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Easy for consumer use is Linksys, NetGear, DLink, etc. Really, at this point in the technology, it's difficult to go wrong with a router.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Just an update on my situation. We got the tech out and he replaced the Gateway which fixed the all the issues on our network. As for going onto a bridged router solution, what brands/models do you recommend?

Depends on feature set you want. @Thrax and I have the Asus RT-N66U and it's awesome (at least, I think he does). There are specific models/brands you can look out for if you want to use custom firmware down the line. What wireless networks do you want to support? Attached network storage or printing via USB? etc. You can't really go wrong with newegg, sort by rating, limit by price range or features.