BSOD MomOfRose is sad

Came home to BSOD late last night. I'd used my laptop 13 hours earlier and hadn't had any troubles. I leave my laptop on but sleeping when I'm not using it. When I returned home, the fan was running extra loud and I had the lovely blue; no clue how long it had been like that. :( Booting in Safe Mode also brings up the blue.

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what steps I need to take to get back up. Not sure which of the codes are needed, so here are all of them:

*** STOP: 0X0000003B (0X00000000C0000005, 0XFFFFF960001F9ADE, 0XFFFFF880041B8260, 0X0000000000000000)

*** win32k.sys - Address FFFFF960001F9ADE base at FFFFF96000060000, Datestamp 4a5bc5e0

Also, I have not installed any extra hardware and the last software to get an update was Steam on Monday.

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    By any chance do you have Steam set up to automatically update your video drivers?

Edit: Also, did you leave the laptop turned off for any amount of time before turning it back on?
  • MomOfRoseMomOfRose Member
    edited March 2013
    I finally got an extra 3 options for Safe Mode: Safe Mode, SM with Networking and SM with Command Prompt. So far, SM just blues and restarts my laptop on its own. It's taken multiple reboots to get those 3 options to show up again.

Edit: I have tried all SM options and all lead to blue after attempting to run files (screen looks like DOS when running files).
  • mertesn said:

By any chance do you have Steam set up to automatically update your video drivers?

I don't think so. I'm pretty cautious when it comes to auto-updates on ANYTHING that updates more than its own stuff. Of course, there's no way to know, now.
  • mertesn said:

Edit: Also, did you leave the laptop turned off for any amount of time before turning it back on?

Yes, I turned it off last night and left it off until just now, so for 9 hours or so.
    edited March 2013
    MomOfRose said:

mertesn said:

I don't think so. I'm pretty cautious when it comes to auto-updates on ANYTHING that updates more than its own stuff. Of course, there's no way to know, now.
    That's something you'd have to set up through Steam, so I'm guessing that's not the case.
    First thing would be to do a memory test. Download this tool, burn a CD or make a USB stick (depending on the version you grab), and let it run for several iterations. If there are errors, it's probably a problem with your RAM (easily resolved).
    edited March 2013
    mertesn said:

First thing would be to do a memory test. Download this tool, burn a CD or make a USB stick (depending on the version you grab), and let it run for several iterations. If there are errors, it's probably a problem with your RAM (easily resolved).

Download how? I can't get past blue no matter what SM option I pick.

Edit: And if I download from another comp, how do I get my comp to run the disk?
  • I'd try this:
    Unplug the laptop
    Remove the battery
    Hold the power button on your laptop for a good 30 seconds (probably overkill)
    Put your battery back in
    Plug it back in
    Turn it on

See if it boots.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    1) for memtest, download it on another computer, burn the ISO to a disk (make sure you burn an image, don't just put the .iso file on the disk). put it in the laptop and when it boots it will load from the cd.

2) it sounds like you'll probably need to do a repair install. did your laptop come with CDs with windows on them?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    I was going to ask why Bobby Longlegs wasn't involved in this sooner.
    TiberiusLazarus
  • He actually suggested I ask y'all for help. :)
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    My preferred method here with detailed instructions in case you aren't sure about some of the previous advice:
    -Download UBCD iso file (has a multitude of tools on it) on another PC
    -Burn it to a CD using ImgBurn or a similar program on the other PC (windows 7 does have ISO burning built in imgburn is quick and easy as well. just install, open and choose img file to disc)
    - Insert this disc into the problem PC and turn it on. Press F12 or something similar to choose your boot option (look at the first screen to see what the button is) and choose CD
    -You'll be presented with a menu. Choose Memory then Memtest86+. On that screen there is a test counter. Let that hit 2/3 and if you see any red on the bottom before then, note the memory location (should be listed as ##MB or something similar) and report back
    -If you don't see any red after a few passes (the passes may take 30 mins or an hour or more, depending on how much RAM is in your PC), we can try a HDD test. Reboot the PC and go through the F12 process again. Choose HDD > Diagnostics > Drive Fitness Test. Choose the quick scan in the program that launches and see if it reports that your HDD is okay or not.

Those are some "easy" ways to check out the physical system before going into Windows repair stuff that may be futile if you have a hardware issue.
    JBoogaloo
    edited March 2013
    shwaip said:

1) for memtest, download it on another computer, burn the ISO to a disk (make sure you burn an image, don't just put the .iso file on the disk). put it in the laptop and when it boots it will load from the cd.

2) it sounds like you'll probably need to do a repair install. did your laptop come with CDs with windows on them?

1) Cannot get the laptop to load from the CD; is there a key I need to push? Edit: I pushed F8 and F12 to no avail.

2) No, it did not. I'm looking at my product registration online to see if I can download a copy or find warranty info.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Often on newer BIOSes during the CMOS checks at boot, there will be a line near the bottom of the screen: "Press F11 for boot options" - or it will say another key. If you press that, it should bring up a boot options menu that lets you select which device to boot from: HDD, CD, USB, etc.
  • Agreed with the above advice. The reason for disconnecting all the power sources from the laptop is because it takes 2 minutes and then we can rule out the potential of your laptop having gone to sleep mode and leaving a corrupt sleep state in your ram. Actual hardware ram tests are going to take a lot longer so it makes sense to do this first. (I think). I'm getting old and I don't in to computer.
  • GHoosdum said:

Often on newer BIOSes during the CMOS checks at boot, there will be a line near the bottom of the screen: "Press F11 for boot options" - or it will say another key. If you press that, it should bring up a boot options menu that lets you select which device to boot from: HDD, CD, USB, etc.

Ok, was the Esc key (go figure).

Running Memtest now. *fingers crossed*
  • mertesn said:

If there are errors, it's probably a problem with your RAM (easily resolved).

Will Memtest tell me if there are errors, what they are and what to do about them?
    If I'm remembering correctly, memtest will log any errors at the bottom (with memory address included). The only "what to do about them" possible is to replace the offending stick(s) of RAM.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Yes, it will indicate if there are errors. If there are, the only thing to do is to replace the memory for your PC.

The suddenness of the problem makes me suspect hardware.
    MomOfRose said:

mertesn said:

If there are errors, it's probably a problem with your RAM (easily resolved).

Will Memtest tell me if there are errors, what they are and what to do about them?
    Depending on how much memory you have, it can take a few hours to run through completely.
  • If it doesn't find any memory errors it would be useful to know what version of Windows you have. There are a few more things we could do before "backup, reformat, reinstall"
    edited March 2013
    Should I be concerned that 20 minutes in it's already showing 16000+ errors, or is that common? I'm so out of "computers" I don't know what to expect.
    means your memory is bad. you can stop the program and shut down. time to buy some new memory.

can you post the specific model of your computer?
    edited March 2013
    shwaip said:

HP Pavilion dv6-6131
    edited March 2013
    option 1 (8 GB): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145281
    option 2 (16 GB): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233217

Do you know if you are running 64-bit windows or 32-bit?
  • shwaip said:

means your memory is bad. you can stop the program and shut down. time to buy some new memory.

Possibly not, you may have two sticks of memory, only one of which may be corrupt. If that is the case, try running the test with only one stick. Atleast you can get your computer back and go shopping for a memory upgrade. Good Luck!

Page 66 here describes how to access, remove, and change your memory.

• I only had 1 4GB stick.

Not really sure if I was running 32 or 64; any way to find out for sure?
  • shwaip said:
    Do you prefer this brand over others or was it just happenchance you linked to them?
    Big name brands like Corsair publish matrices to show guaranteed compatibility with OEM PCs, that might be how he found them.