Let's talk vermouth & its classic uses

2»

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    poofie said:

I've tried bulleit rye, along with rittenhouse, pikesville and maybe a couple others. I like rye, i just love bourbon, and while I occasionally enjoy a rye manhattan it's just not my favorite.

You and I, we think alike.

I also used to think I liked Scotch until I found that my favorite Scotch had a very Bourbon-like flavor profile, at which point I started trying out Bourbons and voila.
  • This thread + full inbox (coworker on vacation for week and a half) = wanting to drink at 9 in the morning.

That said, I've never tried Vermouth in anything that I can remember. If I were to purchase a bottle, what brand/kind would go good with Bourbon? Where should I start my Vermouth adventure? I'm not much a fan of Rye Whiskey, but I love Bourbon. Here are some Bourbons I have on hand I can mix with: Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Bookers, Basil Hayden, and Bulleit Bourbon.
    oni_dels
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    @Signal you can try bourbon with dry vermouth and triple sec (though i would suggest Grand Marnier) and some lime / lime juice
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Dump in some M&R Rosso, dump in about the same amount of blood orange bitters, dump in a little more than that of Bulleit bourbon. Toss in a cherry. Delicious.

AnnesBobbyDigiLinconi_dels
  • I had a chat with a local bar owner/tender that makes her own bitters. She is really into it. Makes like a half dozen different types of them. I really need to pay her bar a visit and sample some drinks.
    midga
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

That would be rad, but for $85 I will stick with by $7 giant ice cube tray for now :)

mertesn

Oh cool, I've been looking for something like that.

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2014

There are way, way cheaper options that do the same thing, @midga. Although I don't think any of them make the claim of making a perfectly clear ice ball.

Edit: And for what it's worth, we have these but @pragtastic‌ greatly prefers the giant ice cubes from these trays

Signal

True. I'd mostly been looking in stores and not seeing anything. A quick Amazon search gave me this.

The trays @Annes linked to are the same we have at ICHQ. In orange, natch.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I have touched and tasted @pragtastic‌ 's balls, both preferred and un-preferred and agree with preferred.

Why the preference of cubes over spheres?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Easy.

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Both making and removing the cubes is easier, they melt a bit faster which he prefers. They also look nicer in the glasses that we have.

Lincmidga

@Tushon said:
    I have touched and tasted pragtastic‌ 's balls, both preferred and un-preferred and agree with preferred.

Preferred is the left one, right?

Tushon
  • Thread revival time. Has anyone tried Gancia Sweet Vermouth? The only party store in the area which stocks Rittenhouse Rye stocks it. Thought I might give it a try and see how it compares to the typical M&R.

Also, Re: Ice Spheres, this October I picked up skull ice molds from Williams Sonoma. I think they're also made by Tovolo (the mold themselves looks basically the same as the Tovolo ice sphere molds). I can't find them anywhere else... but I really like how they look.