IDE - SATA adapter / Enclosure?

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
So we are getting a new PC for my wife and she wants to pull some files off the old hard drive. What would be the best way to go about doing this since her old HD is IDE? Would getting a IDE-Sata adapter be better or would a USB enclosure be best? Any recommendations? Would any of you guys have an old one lying around that I could buy off of you?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Enclosures are for whan you want to create a semi-permanent external drive. If you just need to access the disc once or twice, just get an adapter, they're cheap. Get one of these. It'sthe one I have, and it has served me well.
    BobbyDigi
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I definitely only want to access the drive once to pull the old files off of it. In that case would something like this even work?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    I think I have an IDE enclosure laying around and gathering dust. I'd be willing to part with it for the cost of shipping (and maybe enough to buy a drink if you're feeling generous). Let me know if you want me to try and dig it out.
    That would be fantastic!!
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    What I did for my mom was to burn the files she wanted to the computer the old HD was in's CD R/W drive, then get them on new computer via the DVD/CD combo drive....
    The problem being is that the old computer died and is too old for any of my spare parts to test out what exactly is wrong.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Ok, you need the adapter.
    Sorry Joe,

I've torn my office apart looking for my old IDE enclosure but I can't find it. I must have gotten rid of it at some point but forgotten.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    You need this.
    The Vantec adapter Kwitko listed is very nice. We used them back when I worked at Michigan Tech to quickly hook up drives and recover data from them. Just make sure you don't set the drive on anything conductive.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    The adapter Kwitko linked is made under a dozen plus different brands. They're all the exact same. (I have the Ultra branded version.) It's a very good adapter - I use it regularly. The external Molex is frigging awesome. Just find whichever one is on sale lowest and grab it.