The Pokemon XY Thread

Comments

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Cyclonite said:

The last time I really played Pokemon was Red/Blue and Yellow, so I suspect I'll be pretty lost to start.

Since the REAL advice has been given ...

by Dorkly
    Bandrik
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    Did you want the "other" set as well Thrax?

45 minutes per round, but that counts dying against the first gym because I forgot to buy potions.

If you don't want the other set I wonder if I can trade my starter out of the gate...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Can you post what you want me to keep and send back?
    edited October 2013
    I figured I would be sending you two fire starters, and one grass starters. As well as one of each of the other set, unless you wanted the other set as well, then that depends on which you picked of that.

Then I would start the last game with a grass starter, and you would trade me back one of the fire and the Froakie I sent originally. Plus a water and fire of the other set.
    edited October 2013
    k. I already have Charizard and Froakie, so I need:
    Bulbasaur
    Squirtle
    Fennekin
    Chespin

Let me know what you want traded back.

edited October 2013
    I didn't want to say what the others were, but OK.

So next round will be a Chespin and Squirtle.

Then I would need to run twice again to send you another Charmander and Bulbasaur so you can trade those two back to me on my last round.

That means I will have one extra new gen starter.

(M)Froakie / (F)Bulbasaur > Held/Traded
    (M)Fennekin/(M)Charmander > Traded/Traded
    (F)Chespin / (M)Squirtle > Traded/Traded
    Fennekin/Squirtle > Held/Held
    ???/Charmander > Don't Care/Held
    Chespin/Bulbsaur > Everything held traded back.
    edited October 2013
    We don't need two Charmanders, as I already have one leveled to Charizard. The one you just traded me can go back to you.

So right now we're missing:
    Bulbasaur x1
    Fennekin x1
    Chespin x2
    Squirtle x2

FROAKIE COMPLETE
    CHARMANDER COMPLETE

//EDIT: While we're at it, save before you take the Pokes so we can get female versions and just breed more for people vs. doing these runs.

//EDIT #2: I'm AFK for 15 minutes to get food.

//EDIT #3: Back!
    I didn't even think about it, I will will start that next time.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    Thrax, I think you need to add me on your side. :)
    edited October 2013
    This Chespin run is taking a while, had to level up a fletchling for the gym, and I some how managed to catch the only level 3 Fletchling I have seen.

//EDIT: This Chespin is Female, what are the gender of the ones I already traded?
    Female Bulbasaur. Male Froakie, Charmander and Fennekin.

The good news is that you can apparently breed the "right" way with Ditto+Male in this generation, so it looks like we don't need to obsess over male vs. female.
    edited October 2013
    trade inc, I also just realized I forgot to attach the Charmander Mega Stone
    So right now we're missing:
    Bulbasaur x1
    Fennekin x1
    Chespin x1
    Squirtle x1

FROAKIE COMPLETE
    CHARMANDER COMPLETE
    PRO TIP: Try not to save in the streets of Lumiose City. Apparently there's a rare, game-breaking bug that causes the game to crash every time you try to re-load that save. If you intend to save there, save indoors.
    ChoochRahnalH102Bandrik
    We don't need two Charmanders, as I already have one leveled to Charizard. The one you just traded me can go back to you.

Ah, so this should be the last time I have to run through it. Which is good cause I am getting bored with it
    edited October 2013
    Chespin x1 and Bulbasaur x1 remaining!

//EDIT: If you hold onto the Chespin and Bulbasaur you obtain in this run, I can trade you back Squirtle, Charmander, Froakie and Fennekin, and you'll have 'em all!
    edited October 2013
    Thrax said:

Chespin x1 and Bulbasaur x1 remaining!

//EDIT: If you hold onto the Chespin and Bulbasaur you obtain in this run, I can trade you back Squirtle, Charmander, Froakie and Fennekin, and you'll have 'em all!

That is the plan. I just need to capture 4 randoms to trade to you for those, and we will be done! Here is hoping for some females.

EDIT - Caught. Trade Inc. Changed my name to throw you off.
    Threw me off indeed!

But thanks to your kind services, I've begun breeding all kinds of Pokemans for the good of Icrontic. Squirtles, Charmanders, Chespins, Froakies, Fennekins and Bulbasaurs for everyone!
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    By the way- that Pokemon Amie thing? You'd do well to give all of your pokemon a good going-over every once in a while.

Your pokemon's affection now has rather stark influences on your pokemon's fighting/levelling aptitude. At about affection 2 and onward, if you've been messing with the Amie, you start to gain boosted XP with that pokemon, as if you'd traded it. Later benefits include pokemon shrugging off status effects and I've even heard several different stories saying that pokemon will ACTUALLY survive fatal hits with 1HP because the pokemon "doesn't want to disappoint it's trainer" or something like that.

This, of course, is based on my own experience thus far, and not a lot of people seem to know that much about it yet (and of course, I doubt these abilities factor into Player Battles). But that's the general thing I'm getting. It's good for you to pop the Pokemon Amie open every once in a while, anyway- you'd be surprised how attached to these guys you might get. I picked Chespin for personal reasons, and I haven't regretted it- lil bastard makes (made, he's evolved now) the cutest faces.

ALSO- something else I've noticed today. If you deliberately keep a pokemon from evolving, or they otherwise gain XP past hitting their evolution level (like, say, in a multi/horde battle), they ALSO gain boosted XP. I think it's a compensation for, arguably, training the pokemon in a weaker state than you would normally.

EDIT: Another tip- once you get the EXP Share, don't turn it off unless you REALLY want to do it oldschool (or think it's too cheap). the way the EXP Share works now is that instead of being a held item, you turn it on or off and it splits EXP with your entire party. HOWEVER, it doesn't do this in the way you might expect.

Instead of, say, trying to divide the EXP 6 ways (or less, if you have less), instead it gives all of the participating pokemon in the battle 100% of the EXP they'd normally acquire (to which, I'm not even sure now if EXP splits among participating pokemon are even a thing now, I think they both just get 100% EXP), and the non-participants gain 50% of the normal amount, each. That's not 50% split among the team, that's each non-participating pokemon gaining EXP equal to the value of 50% of the XP they'd normally gained if they fought in the first place, all while not actually affecting the XP gain of the pokemon that fought in the first place. That means in a party of 6, if only your lead fights and nobody else, you're basically looking at squeezing out a whopping 350% of the normal amount of XP among your party every battle, totalled.

Broken? Probably, but given that they've taken a LOT of pains in this game to make a LOT of the game potentially less grind-worthy (for the kids probably, after all this IS still a game geared for the kids), I'd say it's fairly in-line. It ALSO means that if you have a team of less than 6 and you, say, want to level up a spare pokemon to get it's evolution or for some other reason, it basically costs you nothing to do so. To which, opening folks up to levelling more varieties of pokemon ain't a bad thing.
    edited October 2013
    Some people don't quite understand the Pokemon Amie's main screen, either.

As you run around and see your pokedude emitting thought bubbles, that's what he/she wants you to do. If he's putting off hearts, little dude is hungry and wants some food to be happy. If little dude is putting off notes, play with little dude. Tap the Pokedude with your stylus and hit the appropriate cloud (e.g. play).

Also be sure to collect presents.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    I've had to turn Exp Share off a couple times. Mostly to prevent the majority of my party leveling past my badge limit and to prevent my Nincada from lvling>evolving when I didn't have the extra space in my roster.
    While I've not encountered your issue, turning off EXP share will actually increase the amount of experience received by your lead pokemon (obviously). But what that does is create a sharper exp curve that puts the lead Poke on a steeper trajectory towards eclipsing the level 40 earlier in the game, triggering disobedience sooner than if you'd just left it on.

Also, what does this mean?
    prevent my Nincada from lvling>evolving when I didn't have the extra space in my roster
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    Wife and I cracked the games open last night and played for about 3.5 hours straight. I didn't know if she'd take to it, but when we went to bed, she says "I really like the game. I love collecting stuff!" So that's pretty great. I didn't give her too many of the starting tips, as that overwhelms her usually. She's not really been a multi-genre gamer, so she doesn't quite understand the normal "this is how games typically do it" process.

She picked Fennekin as her starter before I let her know about Torchic, but she's been doing alright for never touching a Pokemon game (or any turn-based RPG type game for that matter). She beat the first gym on her first try, though I gave her a couple tips by that point since I had just completed it as well.

I went with Chespin, and along with Torchic (both of which have evolved), they've been a great combination. Just grabbed Squirtle to round things out. Can't wait to get in some more time with the game this evening.

I'd love to look at setting up some trades for the other starters at some point. Maybe once I'm further in, I can help with the breeding too, for anyone else.
    For anyone that wants one of the other starters (XY starters or R/B/Y starters), I'm now set up to breed any of them. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish, so I can't promise it'll be super quick!
    edited October 2013
    Also, people have been wondering which pokemans are exclusive to each version. Here's a handy graphic:

The important ones are the Mega Charizards at the top (Dragon/Fire for X, and Fire Flying on Y). The Mewtwo X is Fighting/Psychic, while Mewtwo Y is a stronger pure Psychic type. The pokedudes at the bottom are Yveltal and Xerneas, the legendaries for Pokemon Y and X, respectively.

On the left, you'll see the armor-plated Pokemon. That's Aron -> Lairon -> Aggron, a defensively great pokemon that has a Mega evolution that's pure steel. On the right you'll see that gonna-break-tokyo-lookin'-like-a-dinosaur pokemon. That's Larvitar -> Pupitar -> Tyrannitar, an extremely strong pokemon offensively, though its Rock/Dark type makes it susceptible to easy attacks from Ice and Water, but it got a lot of competitive play for Black and White.

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I appreciate all of the "for those who haven't played since the original Red Blue Yellow trio"... because that's me right there.
    ALSO ALSO, I've created a pokemon channel on Icrontic Mumble and intend to be there in the evenings to help anyone that might need it. Especially those of you who haven't played in 13 years!

I promise not to give spoilers, so it's best if you ask specific questions so I can formulate a response that doesn't ruin things.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I can't decide on which one to get, on the one hand Mightyena and Houndoom are awesome, on the other the beetle thing and Cloyster. Also Y's legendary looks rad
    The beetle thing is Heracross, a bug/fighting type. Pretty good stats, though not stellar. 4x weak to flying attacks, though, yikes!
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I knew it was Hera something,haven't actually seen him since Gold I think.

Anyways I'm going to grab the 3DS Y pack at Best Buy today, a lot of people have X and I figure I can simply trade for the two dog pokemon I mentioned above.