Pre-raid - January 2014

HydrarHydrar Columbia, MD Icrontian
edited January 2014 in World of Warcraft
There's been growing discussion online about getting some more formal raiding going.

Using Guild Ox (sort by ilvl) , I see that we have enough folks geared up to make some Flex Progress. Ideally we should be geared at the LFR level first (528 ilvl) but with a focused group I think we can go in a bit earlier.

The Flexible raid option is great news for a more casual guild like IC that is interested in real raiding (real as opposed to LFR faceroll)... we can run 10-25 people and the encounter scales with the group. If someone needs to log or join late, it's not a big deal (unless a tank!).

Flexible raids give ilvl 540 gear (upgradeable to 548). A few pieces of this gear will help the group prepare for 10-man Normal runs - which are on different lockouts, so you can do both. For flex raids, the dungeon is broken up into 4 sections, so there isn't a huge time commitment, either.

Interested? Here's what you can do:

SoO LFR - get some item upgrades (528) and see the boss fights and get a glimpse of the mechanics. LFR is VERY forgiving. At a minimum read the dungeon journal for the bosses. There are a ton of resources online otherwise - choose your favorite site/videos. In most fights, being undergeared is far less an issue than being clueless to the mechanics.

Stock up on Warforged Seals These are the currency that gives you bonus rolls on Celestials/Ordos/SoO. Each week you can get 3 Seals for 50 Lesser Charms of Good Fortune - max of 10. If you done much on Timeless Isle you probably have a ton of these Charms. Getting your 3 seals should be a priority. Bonus rolls = faster gear acquisition = easier to progress.

Stock up on Food/Flasks No reason not to have 250/275/300 food on during each boss pull, and the appropriate flask. I have some flasks and food in the bank, and the ability to make the 300 Noodle Cart (gives each person 5 300 foods that do not vanish on logging). Flasks have changed somewhat recently. If you have a few minutes left on a flask, you can chug another flask and it will add the few minutes onto the full hour of the new flask. These buffs are essentially equivalent to having several extra Gem slots/enchants... definitely worth having.

Weekly Celestial Kill Kill a Celestial boss on Timeless Isle once a week (and use a Seal for bonus roll if you want). Drops Tier 16 (553) Hands and Legs, plus PVP (522) gear. But more often bags of gold.

I've seen all the fights and can say this raid tier is lots of fun. The mechanics are quite interesting, and most of the fights are fun... only a couple of fights where I dread the encounter because of boring mechanics.
JBoogalooChooch

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    I was just going to post something about this (or similar).
    I have had terrible luck with LFR. I have attempted Vale of Eternal Sorrows 4 times and failed on the first boss all of them. This has soured me on even LFR and would like to make some runs with you guys now that the holidays are over.
    I still need to get more sigils for my cloak quest, I know a couple of you have completed that part, but would be interested even in the earlier stuff to make sure we get what we need there.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Ryder, I am still doing sigils, should be around now that ICNY is calming down.
  • HydrarHydrar Columbia, MD Icrontian
    LFR sucks early on in an raid tier. Lots of people pay zero attention to mechanics and expect to be carried through. I'm kinda glad that it's tuned so it's not a total loot pinata... but that sucks for people like you who are trying.

I've been luckier than you however.. not usually running into the "wall" until LFR 3. It's a crap shoot... random by design. Usually you get better LFRs on patch days (my experience).
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    LFR has been good to me. Suffered through the first tier in a day and got on with my life.`
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2014
    i'm not sure if raids being all about iLevel or that you have to pug raid just to raid that irks me more

I miss the dungeons with guildies and then guild raids, or when we would start with the easiest tier raid and work our way towards the top tier
    JBoogaloo
    Raids have always been about being geared enough, hence the implementation of enrage timers and "gear check" bosses early on.

Agreed, raiding with folks you know is what's the most fun. Wiping repeatedly (pug or with friends) is really not fun.
  • FearmyblinkFearmyblink California Icrontian
    edited January 2014
    I have 2 90 mages, a 90 priest, and a level 88 pally, I'm willing to transfer one for raiding. I'll heal or dps, depending on which is lacking the most. I'm most comfortable on mage/priest (specifically disc), but I can probably learn holy/shadow for priest or retribution/holy if I need too.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Hydrar said:

Wiping repeatedly (pug or with friends) is really not fun.

Because the jokes and harassment that ensues afterward is hilarious...only with friends (and some other random "can I come with you" person) :)

Just created a guild event for next Sunday (12 January). 6pm Server / 8pm Eastern. Flex SoO. I'll be leading it. Please bring food/flasks/basic knowledge of the first 4 fights.

Also... save some Warforged Seals and your Flexible raid lockout.

While I'd prefer 500+ ilvl, I won't turn away any 90s.

We'll pug tanks/heals if we can't start with 2 tanks & 3 heals. Any latecomers are more than welcome, but as DPS spec (keep in mind that you can set your loot spec to whatever).

Loot in Flex is much like LFR - game rolls for you. You should save 2 Warforged Seals for this run if you plan to go (use one on Celestials next week if you still need 553 Gloves/Legs).

Also... trash mobs drop loot in Flex, unlike LFR.

This is intended to be a fun/casual attempt at Flex. Check your expectations at the zone-in, please :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'm 88 1/2 right now. I think I'll be 90 by then, but I almost certainly won't be geared at 500+ by then. I'd like to make this my first-ever raid attempt, though :)
    edited January 2014
    Once you hit 90, do the Timeless Isle Chests and join in on any rares. With any luck you'll gear up quick. You are guaranteed one 535 item (you get a Burden from one chest) and probably several 496s. There's an addon that shows you were all the chests are. You should get to around 490 within 5 hours of turning 90 with a little bit of luck.

The ilvl suggestion is more because around 500 you'll have the needed stamina (HP) to survive ground effects. Otherwise you'll just get insta-killed everytime if you have less than 350k hp.
  • Can we get some more people to respond to hydrar's event (click the calendar by your minimap)? Maybe this is the app being weird but I only see 5 responses, giving us a total of 5 90's for the event.
    I'd like to know who our tanks and heals will be by Saturday so I can re-gem/reforge Hydrar as needed.

If we have 3 solid heals, I will go DPS. I know Prag is tanking...who is the second tank?
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    I will be healing on mirste, if that helps... my tank set has fallen by the wayside pretty hardcore.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I put myself as tentative because I'm only ilvl 473 right now.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2014
    I have an OS tank (MS heals) that I could try to get up this week if we wanted to have tanks and heals in guild. iLvl ~500. Need to know soon so I can start practicing and use this week's raid locks to try to get some more gear.
  • SusurroSusurro Dubuque, IA Icrontian
    I'm signed up on my resto shaman, so I'll heal. Though I also have a ilvl 500 tank monk. He's a bit weaker, but I could bring him up a bit this week if necessary.
    Hmm... so we're pretty heavy on heals.

For most of SoO (10 man) you need geared 2 healers, some fights 3 healers are preferred.

Since this is Flex... if we get enough DPS signing up, a 4th heal wouldn't be a problem.

I'll plan on going with my Moonkin offspec.

By the way... excellent progress this past week... I've seen most of you running the LFR and getting a flavor for the fights. In some respects Flex will be much easier than LFR - much better communication with a group who knows each other and on Mumble.

Would be great to have a 2nd tank from Icrontic (vs. pug) - even if undergeared.

I would like to 2nd that request for Icrontic tank (Dan? Ryan? Jimmy?) I will gladly help you gear up your tank...
    edited January 2014
    So we have the following tank options:
    Warrior - @pragtastic (Main)
    Death Knight - @rexxar (main) (Will not be available this Sunday)
    Monk - @susurro
    Paladin - @myrmidon
    Druid - ME!!!

(also yay for having wide spread tank class options (hell even our healer options are spread pretty well))

I believe all three of the non-main spec tanks are in about the same place gear wise (~500 ilvl). Is there a specific class we should try to get levelled up to compliment the main tanks we have? Does it matter?
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I need to level up my Prot Paladin still. If I keep playing I will probably transfer over to you guys. Zul'jin only has two raiding Alliance Guilds and both of them speak French. Though I guess I could try to learn Fff-RANCH (inside joke).
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    my tank set is currently 476. I will bust my ass trying to get it to a higher ilvl.
  • SusurroSusurro Dubuque, IA Icrontian
    I'll work on gearing my tank as well. I should probably research tanking strategies in SoO anyways.
  • The Great Tank Race of 2014!!!
    Crap - now I wish I had a tank. This sounds fun.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

Crap - now I wish I had a tank. This sounds fun.

You totally can, you're just starting a little behind.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Working on leveling. School has kept me quite pre-occupied lately. Looking forward to getting in on this with you all :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Working on gearing. Current iLvl 472
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2014
    For those of you without your cooking leveled up and unable to make the 300 stat food, I will make what you need before Sunday if you send me the following mats for what you need.
    Each of these will give you 5 food items, which should get you through Sunday just fine. If you want more, just multiply by 2 or 3, etc. They are made in multiples of 5.

+300 Agility:
    5 x Tiger Gourami
    5 x Raw Turtle Meat
    25 x Scallions

+300 Intellect:
    5 x Emperor Salmon
    5 x Raw Crocolisk Belly
    25 x Mogu Pumpkin

+300 Spirit:
    5 x Jewel Danio
    5 x Raw Crab Meat
    25 x White Turnip

+450 Stamina:

5 x Redbelly Mandarin
    4 x Raw Tiger Steak
    25 x Red Blossom Leak

+300 Strength:
    5 x Mushan Ribs
    5 x Giant Mantis Shrimp
    25 x Green Cabbage

If any of those mats are too costly on the AH, I can make 275 versions also, mats are all different though. These all net you 1 food each, so if you want 5, multiply mats by 5

+275 Agility:
    1 x Reef Octopus
    1x Wildfowl Breast

+275 Intellect:
    1 x Raw Turtle Meat
    5 x Juicycrunch Carrot

+275 Spirit:
    1 x Emperor Salmon
    5 x Scallions

+415 Stamina:

2 x Krasarang Paddlefish

+275 Strength:
    1 x Jade Lungfish
    5 x Striped Melon
    midgaTushonJBoogaloo
    edited January 2014
    I would suggest bringing more than 5 of your food. Food buffs do not persist through death. While it would be cool if we could do the entire thing without any deaths, it happens.

Also, would it be more cost effective to just get a set of the 275 raid banquets? With this being flex I don't know if we will really have to have the 300 buffs.
    midga